Dr. Michael Tsappis MD Patient Reviews

2.8

• Good
  • Bad

March 30th, 2017
I started seeing this physician about 4 years ago. Over the past year I have noticed a significant decrease in his care. He is unresponsive to emergency messages and pages. His secretary is quick to call when it is regarding receiving a payment, but otherwise does not understand the importance of timeliness in working in a psychiatric office. For example, one week I was having an emergency. I called and left a message with his secretary explaining the importance of speaking with Dr. Tsappis due to significant side effects from a med. She told me that he wouldn't call me back but would choose a different med and send it to my pharmacy. Due to other complex medical conditions, this was unacceptable to me and I explained that I needed to speak with him (which he agreed to at my last appointment in the event that this med did not work for me). I the emergency paged him 4 days later after not hearing from him. I never received a phone call back. He does not care about his patients, he just cares about how many patients he can see and how much money he can make. It is also very difficult to schedule appointments with him. When I called for an emergency appointment, I was told that I would have to wait 4 weeks. I have to argue with the secretary to get an appointment within 1 week. I would not recommend this doctor to others as I do not believe he truly cares about his patients. In the beginning (4 years ago) he was a good doctor, however, as his practice has grown his practice has gone downhill significantly.

December 18th, 2013
I highly recommend him
We have been seeing Dr Tsappis for four years now, and he has been great. My son was six or seven when we started with him, and had the diagnoses of PDD-NOS, Anxiety Disorder, and Mood Disorder. The mood disorder was by far his biggest issue. Dr Tsappis listened to me, and to my son, then smiled and said, "We can do something about this. He does not have to be this sad and angry all the time." It didn't happen immediately, but with time and medication tweeks, my son became a much more pleasant little boy. Dr Tsappis really listens to us, and takes our views into consideration. He is cautious with medications. He is not quick to prescribe them or increase them, and follows up with lab work and anything else needed to make sure that the medications are not doing more harm than good. He has a great bedside manner as well.

January 22nd, 2013
A friggin horrible doctor
This doctor is, sincerely, one of the worst I've encountered.

May 27th, 2012
Do not recommend
I'm one of those people who always looked at very negative reviews of doctors on the online review sites and cringed. I always questioned their c ...

May 25th, 2012
I agree with both above reviews - this doctor is not good
This doctor is horrendous (I'm actually really, really sorry to say) and his bedside manner is not condescending. Dr. Tsappis treated me differently than other psychiatrists. He did not make a diagnosis early on. In fact, he failed to make a diagnosis at all. Please tell this to someone who has been partially disabled for quite some time, and for whom EVERY other doctor I've had has testified to insurance to keep me temporarily on my original health plan. Yes, it would be illegal to remove me. But that is what he tried to do.It took me a while to realize why Dr. Tsappis was not condescending - it really did. It's because he has no emotions. See it for yourself. It's really creepy. The emotional level of a child perhaps, but no more. That's why I could recommend him as a child psychiatrist, but nothing else.I had two other ongoing health issues while seeing doctor Tsappis. I was diagnosed with cancer (in my twenties), suffered some minor seizures, and developed a heart problem. Dr. Tsappis made it DIFFICULT to work with insurance, even in light of these. Honestly, I kid you not. Please stay away. He quite deceitfully, and illegally (it is now on record legally, finally) failed to fill out any insurance forms, while CLAIMING otherwise. Please away from this guy. I can speak from personal experience that the health damages to me have been immense.

September 9th, 2008
Dr. Tsappis was very helpful and conversations, though consisting of substance, were always goal-based without any feeling of condescension. He also agreed that problems could be solved without the use of medication and aided me in sorting out emotions that i otherwise had no idea what to do with. i highly recommend him.

June 22nd, 2008
Quack
This doctor is horrendous! Very arrogant and belligerent manner, this man over medicated my son to the tune of 300mg over the recommended dosage for an adult.

April 12th, 2016