Internists, Gastroenterologist (digestive)
12 years of experience
Video profile
Airport Heights
Internal Medicine Associates
2841 Debarr Rd
Ste 50
Anchorage, AK 99508
907-276-2811
Locations and availability (2)

Education ?

Medical School Score
A.T. Still University - Kirksville (1998)
  • Currently 1 of 4 apples

Awards & Distinctions ?

Associations
American Board of Internal Medicine

Affiliations ?

Dr. Valantas is affiliated with 5 hospitals.

Hospital Affilations

Score

Rankings

  • Providence Alaska Medical Center
    PO Box 196604, Anchorage, AK 99519
    • Currently 1 of 4 crosses
  • Alaska Regional Hospital
    2801 Debarr Rd, Anchorage, AK 99508
    • Currently 1 of 4 crosses
  • Providence Valdez Medical Center
    Valdez, AK 99686
  • Internal Medicine Associates
  • Providence Extended Care Center
    4900 Eagle St, Anchorage, AK 99503
  • Publications & Research

    Dr. Valantas has contributed to 2 publications.
    Title Do Gastroenterologists Notify Polyp Patients That Family Members Should Have Screening?
    Date May 2005
    Journal Southern Medical Journal
    Excerpt

    OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to determine whether patients found to have adenomatous polyps or cancer were notified that their relatives should have screening, due to an increased risk of developing colorectal cancer. METHODS: Consecutive (n = 121) colonoscopy patients from December of 1999 to October of 2001 found to have adenomatous colon polyps or colon cancer formed the study group. Charts were reviewed for documentation of relative notification, and when documentation was not present, study subjects were contacted by telephone. RESULTS: Overall, 71% had data that were able to be evaluated; the remaining 29% were unable to be contacted because of changes of address or phone numbers. Adenomatous polyps were seen in 95%, and cancer seen in 5%. Overall, 30% of the patients were notified: 23 of 82 (28%) in the polyp group and 3 of 4 (75%) in the cancer group. Advanced adenomas or multiple adenomas were noted in 28 of the 82 (34%). Of those, 8 of 28 (29%) were notified. CONCLUSIONS: Gastroenterologists should be aware of the need for increased attention to family notification, especially in those with advanced adenomas or multiple adenomas. Template notification letters may complement the polyp surveillance programs that many colonoscopists use.

    Title Mechanical Bowel Preparation in the Older Surgical Patient.
    Date September 2004
    Journal Current Surgery
    Excerpt

    A major risk of colon resection is contamination from the bowel. Poor cleansing of the colon has been associated with an increased incidence of wound infections and intra-abdominal abscesses. Despite controversy on the usefulness of colon cleansing methods, mechanical bowel preparation along with oral and intravenous antibiotics have become common preoperative practice. The population is aging, and surgeons and endoscopists are going to be increasingly involved in the care of older patients. This review focuses on various colon cleansing methods and examines specific issues in older patients.


    Similar doctors nearby

    Dr. Steven Ingle

    Internal Medicine
    Anchorage, AK

    Dr. Chris Zerger

    Hospitalist
    10 years experience
    Anchorage, AK

    Dr. Terry Lester

    Hospitalist
    13 years experience
    Anchorage, AK

    Dr. Dustin Lang

    Internal Medicine
    Anchorage, AK

    Dr. Jerry Tanner

    Internal Medicine
    Anchorage, AK

    Dr. Keith Augustin

    Internal Medicine
    11 years experience
    Anchorage, AK
    Search All Similar Doctors