Dr. Michael Van Allen MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

January 17th, 2016
Dr. Van Allen is a great doctor
Wonderful doctor. No problems at all. Probably the best surgical experience I have ever had, check ups were quick and I was given lots of information. Dr. Van Allen is extremely knowledgable and I now understand why he is considered the best in his field.

April 14th, 2015
Not for me.
I canceled tomorrow's surgery for trigger finger today when I discovered accidentally that I would be given general anesthesia for a 10 minute procedure that I have had twice before on different fingers, with local anesthesia. No consideration was given or even asked for about my previous problems with my blood pressure after general anesthesia. I was not contacted by the surgical center until today concerning my medications or prep for the surgery. When they told me to stop taking aspiring and fish oil because they promote bleeding, I reminded them that the surgery was tomorrow. I called Dr. Van Allen's office and was told that he only does surgery under general anesthesia. I have called off the surgery and found another doctor who considers individual differences in patients before he operates. I will not be seeing Dr. Van Allen again.

February 21st, 2015
currently seeing him
The best doctor ever thanks so much

May 14th, 2014
Fixed my hand when others failed!
Dr. Van Allen is an excellent Surgeon and Diagnostician! I had been to several Doctors around town and no one could figure out exactly what was wrong with my hand....within minutes Van Allen was on the right path and my surgery was successful! He is the best! Very smart and professional!

February 15th, 2013
Dr. Van Allen is the best, most skilled hand surgeon in Oregon. His clinic is very busy as I would expect from a top surgeon. There is a bit of a wait to get in but I would rather wait for the best doctor than be the only patient at another doctors office and get in ASAP. Surgery is too important to go for convenience. I would highly recommend him just as my orthopedic doctor did.

May 31st, 2012
.Still in practice....Scary!
In 2002 I had surgery on my left hand. Was in a cast for a long time. A lot of pain & swelling started but Vanalleen ignored me. I knew nothing. Stupid, you know if you have been to him. As it turned out, I had developed RSDS. Thank God my rheumatologist got me away from him when he found out Vanallen did not know what RSDS was or how to treat it. To this day I still have problems with my hand.

February 26th, 2012
Efficient but impersonal
If you want quick & fast, this is the doctor for you. If you want someone who will call you will address you by name, keep looking. Good pre op & surgery. Post op not so great. I would NOT recommend his surgery center.

December 27th, 2011
Looks After The Company with regards to on the job injuries.
Worst doctor I have ever had the miss fortune of seeing, was injured on the job, almost lost my entire left hand, sent me back to work full duty after two weeks, When my hand was re-injured five years later. My personal doctor ex-raid the area and discovered that dr. vanallen had left the staples in to hold things together my personal doctor said that this should not have been done that is the reason that the now problems I am having can not be repaired. dr. vanallen did the repair to my left hand in this manner so that he could get a kick back from the company I worked for and strike out on hi own, I Do Not Recommend Anyone To See Him For Any Reason.

October 25th, 2011
Pathetic
My husband was in the office to find out about his surgery that was going to happen in 2 days. Unlike our first appointment where it took almost a half an hour for him to even get into the room (we showed up on time or 5 minutes early), because we showed up 15 minutes early this time we only had to wait 20 minutes in the room this time. The doctor breezed in, didn't bother to shake my hand and barely acknowledged me. He was quick and hardly explained anything, speaking as if it was pointless to explain anything. In fact, when my husband asked what muscle fascia was he actually told us he couldn't explain what it was. Thankfully I know what it is so I was able to say. How difficult is it to take 3 minutes more to explain a freakin term?! I am very uncomfortable with the thought of my husband having surgery with this jerk. He is a prime example of one of those doctors who don't get a dimploma when they graduate, but get Jesus sandals instead. I wasn't with my husband during his first appointment when he talked to him as I sat in the waiting room, so I can only hope he was better. My husband is the sort who forgives all wrongs.

October 8th, 2011
Very poor office staff
tammy (sp?) in the front office is very rude and demeaning. If not for the reputation of Dr. Van Allen I would have gone somewhere else. I can't believe that someone with his skills would tolerate this person in his office.

September 16th, 2011
Very busy office. The best usually are. Great experience

November 11th, 2010
Office staff needs work!
I know and respect Dr. Vanallen and his family; that being said I was completely put-off by the unprofessional manner of his office staff. Having Michael preform a procedure on my wrist some time ago and then being treated the way I was is completely unacceptable! Great Doctor and surgeon; terrible, inconsiderate, and unprofessional staff. Stay away if service is important to you.