Dr. Michael Varney MD Patient Reviews

• Internal Medicine Little River, SC

• Good
  • Bad

August 8th, 2016
The staff at Doctors Care in Little River was very professional and helpful. Dr Varney was very professional and courteous. He was pleasant to speak with and listened to my concerns. I never felt rushed during our visit, despite the fact that the office was extremely busy that day. I felt confident with Dr. Varney and would happily recommend him to care for my family. It could be extremely stressful when visiting a doctor, but Dr. Varney removed the stress. It's a great feeling to know that his services are close to home.

January 28th, 2016
Smart, funny, and fast
First, I was a little peeved about waiting, but it was understandable as there was a pretty full waiting room. Still got to me in under an hour, which is frequently how long I wait at my own doctor's office WHEN I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT. My irritation was completely disarmed, when he entered the room and quipped "Sorry for taking so long, kind of a "job security" day here today" as he washed his hands and then actually sat down to interview me. My whole visit time was about 5 minutes, but he was so organized and efficient, it felt like he was in there for 20. He'll get your main story while he sits, and then fill in the holes in your information while he examines you. Also asks you personal things that have no bearing on the exam like he wants to get to KNOW you, not just treat you and he does this with a teasing "down home" kind of humor. Finally, I expected an antibiotic for my sinus infection, but he didn't give me one, exactly. He thoroughly explained why that I, not only did not need one at that time, but explained the downside to treating preventively. He compromised by giving me an RX with precise reasons to fill and use if certain symptoms did not progress or improve as predicted so I wouldn't have to make a second trip. Most Doctors I have encountered would make you come back...and be charged again. I have seen him twice more since, and the first visit wasn't a fluke. He didn't remember me the second visit, until he got the the personal questions...when he asked what I did for a living (drive a concrete truck), he replied "wait, we've had this conversation already". I'm not the most educated man, but this doc talks to you in an understandable language without talking down to you and all 3 times asked me if I had any questions. First 2 times I didn't, 3rd time he had his hand on the door knob to leave the room when I told him I did. He released the knob, stepped back into the room and sat down to hear me out. Smart, funny, and fast without acting like he's hurrying. I'll go back if he's the one on duty.

September 4th, 2015