Dr. Michael Kelly MD Patient Reviews

• Ophthalmology Raleigh, NC

September 30th, 2013
Beware
I feel obligated to write a review of Dr. Kelly. He seems nice for what little time you spend with him (5-10 min.) out of an hour to three hours in office. Yes, I had to wait 2.5 hours in a waiting room before Dr. Kelly came into the room. I had a fast growing cataract and Dr. Kelly was recommended by my optometrist. He was very expensive for a non-insured patient, spent no time with me siting the risks. As it turned out I had a "successful" surgery but I experienced Negative Dysphotopsia (dark eclipse in temporal region of eye), which was never explained to me even after I returned to him. I asked if I had scar tissue. No. Vicous fibroid (lay language - scar tissue). He said he could laser my eye and try to fix it and it may or may not work. I was shocked but went along. After that I experienced vaseline floating in my eye the size of a quarter and a windshield wiper effect every time I moved my eyes. I went to the internet to research what was happening. That's when I found out about negative dysphotopsia. It is caused by the surgeon inserting a square-edged lens after cataract surgery. Light bounces off the square edge scattering glares and blurs in the eye. The only real fix is to replace lens with round edged lens. After talking with Dr. Kelly when I returned to "finish the laser tweak" he was surprised that I had researched my symptoms and was disingenuous and irritated that I had educated myself. Dr. Kelly said, yes, I used the square-edged lens but this could happen with round edged lens too. Not true. I haven't got insurance and can not afford to replace the lens with one that does not cause my symptoms. Dr. Kelly treated me like a profit not a patient. He did not discuss the risks of my issue before the surgery, nor did he disclose that he would use square edged lens. He didn't tell me when I returned the first time what it was that I was experiencing. He did say only 5 patients a year experience this negative result. So he continues to use square-edged lens and takes that risk that 5 patients will actually lose quality vision and not be able to be corrected. This is horrible to experience. But what is worse is a doctor whom does not care enough to spend time explaining the issue (he never diagnosed it, I had to let him know I researched it and he then agreed and said we had discussed it. No, we did not and it was not recorded in my records after the visit. He had recorded that I had viscous fibroid (scar tissue). I take real issue that he would risk 5 people's vision a year by using a known risky lens because it is cheaper. He didn't give me a choice or I would have chosen a rounded edged lens because I am always the rare exception with physical issues. Very disappointed with his services, personal responsibility, and willingness to fix the issue without charging me 1,000s of dollars more. What an awful thing to experience and I'm stuck with it for life.

September 18th, 2013
Best doctor in town
I have worked in ophthalmology for many years. I have seen several doctors in action. If you want a good surgeon, Dr. Kelly is the one. He is very good at what he does. I hope you do your research and you will figure out that he is the one to help you with your eyes.