Dr. Joseph Whitaker Is this you?

3.4

bad

Posted on September 11th, 2016

He misdiagnosed me... told me I just had "bone contusions" and to wear a boot. After being in a boot for months with no improvement, I finally went to another doctor and found out I had a fracture which never healed and a dislocated tendon... both which required surgery. This is why you sometimes need to trust your gut when you think something is wrong and get that second opinion. The thing is though... I kinda liked the guy. I enjoy doctors that are direct and he was even humorous on occasion. But, in the end, he failed me and his misdiagnosis caused me to suffer a lot longer than I needed to. Because of that I will not be returning to him if I ever have an orthopedic problem in the future.

He is an excellent orthapedic surgeon, what else really matters?

Posted on September 9th, 2016

Reading some of these negative reviews about his bedside manner are ridiculous. The man is very busy, very direct, and most importantly the best at what he does, is it any wonder he has little time to make small talk with people? He saved one of my arms after a car accident in '89, replaced both my mothers knees and repaired the meniscus on one of mine, we have no complaints whatsoever. Would you prefer an excellent orthopedic surgeon or to make a new friend? You could always adopt a pet if your lonely.

Very pleased

Posted on February 28th, 2016

I have always had a good experience with Dr. Whitaker. Over 30 years, he has taken care of bone spurs in my shoulders, a knee replacement and several broken legs. He never pushed me into knee replacement. We tried shots, etc over a period of time. When nothing helped, we both agreed it was time for the surgery. Several years later, when I was in to address another issue, he asked to see my knee. He was very pleased to see how well the incision had healed. He makes me feel as though he really cares. I have only had good experiences, and I feel that he has always given me realistic expectations.

had change of mind

Posted on January 12th, 2016

Was referred to him as a really nice guy, but after meeting him, I did not feel that way.. Dr. Whitaker left me little hope and made insulting comment about age. I was ready to leave, but in so much pain, I gave him one last try. Glad I did because although his bedside manner does need improvement, he is a fine surgeon and made a big difference in my life afterwards. When I wanted to schedule another appt., recently, however, I wasn't greeted in a good manner whatsoever, which was highly disappointing. I wish him well, but honestly, even though I changed my mind about him, there are other good orthop. drs., out there.

Posted on January 6th, 2016

Horrible bedside manner, arrogant, rude. Wrong diagnosis, not helpful at all. There are many better doctors in the area.

Terrible

Posted on November 15th, 2015

About 10 years ago, this practice used to be "the place to go" in Doylestown when you had an orthopedic problem. Nobody goes here now and for a good reason. Dr. Whitaker is cold. He likes to intimidate his patients which makes it very hard to ask him any question. If you question anything he said, he will scold you. When performing any physical exam on you, he is downright nasty and will yell at you if you do something wrong. I don't know why any patient would put up with that. He told me I was fine and there was nothing he could do for me. Finally went to another doctor who found out what was wrong and I had surgery and am now 100% better. Do not give him your business.

Lacking Bedside Manner

Posted on August 20th, 2015

This physician could use a course in "Improving Your Bedside Manner".

good doctor/bad bedside manner

Posted on July 20th, 2015

Good doctor, but a TERRIBLE bedside manner. He doesn't have much sympathy for patient pain. If you're looking for a good surgeon with a lot of experience, you are in good hands but don't expect a warm and fuzzy appointment. I still recommend him though... I've seen him many times over the years, my relatives have had surgeries by him, and everything has always turned out very successful.

Avoid

Posted on April 28th, 2015

Dr. Whitaker is knowledgeable but that's about where the list of positives end. He is very abrupt to the point of being rude. He does not know how to communicate effectively with his patients. I was scared to go to every appointment I had with him since he would argue and yell. Eventually I couldn't do it anymore and had to find a new doctor. He just doesn't have any bedside manner which could inhibit the patient from expressing his/her concerns openly.

Excellent

Posted on March 16th, 2015

Dr. Whitaker is an excellent orthopaedic surgeon. I highly recommend both him and his practice.

Egotistical, Condescending, Insulting, Self-Interested...

Posted on December 6th, 2014

Be careful questioning Dr. Whitaker or you'll be branded as "fearful and anxious". I am hardly fearful and anxious, lol. What I am is well-informed. I did what any responsible person does when confronted with a medical issue. I researched it and then voiced my legitimate concerns to Dr. Whitaker. Evidently, being an informed patient doesn't go over well with Dr. Whitaker. He does not like to be questioned. Be that as it may, to give the devil his dues, he did diagnose me correctly. My suggestion, if you want to see an egoistical, condescending, insulting, self-absorbed physician, is to just let Dr. Whitaker do his little authority dance. Listen without commenting/questioning, and then simply nod and accept whatever he says. Pay your bill and call it a day. And good luck with his obviously stressed out, less than professional/friendly staff. I did not hire Dr. Whitaker to listen to his complaints about " Blah, blah, blah... poor me, me, me... and that's the state of medicine today... (sigh)...". Really?! Try it from this side, buddy, then you'll have some bonefide complaints. I should have sent him a bill for my time. No, that's not how it works, at least not for me. I'm a partner in my healthcare and I expect to be treated with respect and my concerns to be taken seriously, not pay for Dr. Whitakers' time to talk about himself and his concerns. The same thing happened to Dr. Whitaker that happens to others who seriously fall down on the job. He got issued a one way ticket on The Adios Express.

Avoid this arrogant buffoon

Posted on April 22nd, 2013

Attributed a lack of ability to lift my leg as advanced arthritis after glancing at my MRI and asked if I want a hip replacement, before even examining me. When that procedure was declined...Was loud and rude, to the point of being obnoxios, told me I would have to accept that I have advanced arithitis ( the MRI showed early to moderate arthritic wear of the joint) was the sole basis of my problem. Totally missed the ruptured tendon that was the true reason of the pain that had been lasting for weeks.