MUGGED BY A BUG show details MUGGED BY A BUG
by GERARD D. REDMOND on Nov 30th, 2015

In September 2012 I had the misfortune of receiving a spider bite on my right cheek about one inch below my right eye. Although it was not painful, the area suffered immediate inflammation and became infected. A late night visit to a local emergency room led to my examination by Dr. Michelle Shaprut who immediately offered a correct diagnosis of a peri-orbital cellulitis infection and admitted me for a course of intravenous antibiotics. She impressed me as being very knowledgeable and professional and my case was then turned over to another attending physician who released me after four days of treatment. Please be advised that as an emergency room physician, she did not conduct a follow-up visit because her role in my treatment was completed upon my admission to the hospital. Also, her time spent with me was limited due to the nature of emergency room work, where several other patients are demanding immediate consultations also. Her role of providing an initial diagnosis and admitting my case for further treatment was carried out successfully and very professionally by Dr. Shaprut.