Dr. Milan Banjanin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

October 12th, 2016
Dr. Banjanin was very thorough and thoughtful. He took enough time to explore my complete history, and provided good medical advice in clear terms. I highly recommend him as a family practice physician.

February 12th, 2016
In case this helps someone make their provider choice
I've never left an online review before, nor have I ever felt compelled to, and I want to make the disclaimer in leaving this review - my intent is not malicious, I'm simply hoping somebody looks into their provider before seeking professional help as I wish I had before making my first appointment. I have seen Dr. Banjanin twice, and in summary, I have never felt less listened too in my entire life. Setting the stage, before I get to the meat of my frustration with my doctor's appointment, I want to note that in our last appointment I stated my last name changed since I had gotten married, my maiden name is still the name on file in the system, additionally, my recorded profession is para-educator; I am a teacher and have NEVER been a para-educator. I have been a bra-specialist and a barista, but never a para, to me this just reiterates that I wasn't being heard, which when seeking counsel about your health, I would say in #1. Regardless, here is my story. When in college I was experiencing extreme fatigue. I was so tired I couldn't stay awake during lectures, etc . . . I was also gaining weight, and had a swollen foot for over a year. I began to wonder if I had a thyroid problem. When I went in for a doctor's visit I was quizzed about my family history (which is normal) however, when I shared that my mother is extremely bi-polar, his immediate response was, "I think you too are bi-polar." I am a special educator and am not resistant to a mental health diagnosis, however, if you know me, I am someone who 100% of my life has been labeled as "optimistic" and "the happiest person" I asked those closest to me (bff, husband, co-workers, etc) what they thought, and for an honest opinion, and they laughed when I shared my most recent diagnosis. Seeing a natureopath subsequent to my visit w/ Dr. Benjanin she requested I cut out gluten. When I did my lethargia and swollen appendage subsided. The next time I went for a visit to Dr. Benjanin was when I decided to confront something that has impacted me my whole life. When I was little I was so hyper and my teachers would tell my dad to take me to the doctor to see if I had ADHD (he refused). I excelled in HS and was excited for college. College was much harded for me, I went from a straight A student to someone who got an F, a C and a D :( I persisted, developing strategies to help me stay organized. Now, as an adult I take so much pride in my job. I find so much joy in the ways I can positively impact my lifeskills students (those who are most impacted by their disabilities) . However, with that pride comes large responsibilities. I have legal deadlines and a class of about 20 students who need full support across all settings in addition to many other things that come with the job (prison visits, meeting with medical professionals, meetings in the home, implementing systems in the home, Special Olympics, and more . . . ) I shared at my last doctor visit that I was working 20 hours a day 5-6 days of the week and accomplishing nothing! Spending just as much time getting organized as I was actually working. Looking for help I instead got reprimanded and was asked "Do you want adderoll, speed, is that what you want" "every student at Western is ADHD" "You are just legally doping" excuse me, I am an adult, not a young party queen, trying to get organized so I can be the best for my students, I have never felt more self conscious and weirdly guilty even though I hadn't done anything. It was actually the nurse who comforted me by telling me it was my body and my choices. When he was writing my prescription he was talking into a recorder mic saying that I refused a bi-polar evaluation even though it was strongly recommended, but actually I didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars to say I told you so. Also, the doctor told me it is highly unlikely that I would finish a college education having ADD or ADHD, but he has classic ADD and had the discipline to finish school. So me, this young dumb blonde can't get her BA with ADD but a prestigious doctor is able to get his doctorate with the same diagnosis??? So after being prescribed 1 month of ADHD meds, I was very transparent with my staff who I work with directly and asked them about their noticings: am I more focused? are there any negative side effects? They all reported I am more focused, more organized, it is a night and day difference, I know where my keys and phone are, I am less frazzled . . . and I'm pretty my 40-60 year old staff doesn't want me "legally doping" around kids. Well, I have found a new doctor since and am very happy, but being a sensitive person I had to share that I felt violated and small when I saw this doctor. I think he has a big heart, and is doing what he thinks is right, but maybe he is just set in his ways? Whatever it was, this was not a good fit for me, I will not be returning, hoping this review can make someone feel reassured if they have a similar experience.

January 22nd, 2015
Spends time with you, and he goes the extra mile
Dr. B is the kind of Dr you hope for. He always trys.

March 6th, 2014
After a visit
Dr. Banjanin is a wonderful doctor. He spent time with me was very professional, answered all my questions. His office has followed up with me and they are very courteous.

June 12th, 2012
Insulting along with missed diagnosis
I had a horrible experience with Dr. Banjanin. I repeatedly visited him with symptoms which ultimately led to a diagnosis of MS. Not only did he overlook some obvious signs, but he implied my symptoms were psychological when asking me "to tell him about the sex I was having in high school". I am 46 years old. This was inappropriate and downright insulting.

March 14th, 2012
Totally agree with previous review about condescending doc
I appreciate both the other reviews that said that this doc is condescending especially with women. He does seem to be systematic and want to solve issues but then he will just quit listening. And he almost immediately wanted to give me something to deal with my "stress and anxiety". My ANXIETY was that I was on medication that I was having a reaction to and a doc that was not listening to me. I wish I had read the first review and just not gone with this doctor.

October 8th, 2011
I appreciate that Dr. Banjanin is thorough but . . .
Be prepared for a long wait. Staff should schedule appointments knowing that Dr. Banjanin takes longer. Or let patients know when they arrive that he's behind, so they can run an errand or two or notify families and bosses about the delay. It's only common courtesy.

August 18th, 2011
Arrogant doctor who needs to retire.
When I had patellar tendinitis he refused to listen to me. He stated I had growing pains even though I was 18 and prescribed me Ibuprofen. He continually makes false assumptions and refuses to acknowledge that the patient may understand what's going on with their body. He has been good with the obvious problems but I would not recommend him at all.

June 23rd, 2010
I have been going to Dr. Banjanin now for almost 6 years, and he is by far the best doctor I have ever seen. He takes the time with each patient to really look into what might be wrong with them, above and beyond just the reason for your immediate visit. He is frequently running late, but that is because he takes more than the allotted time with most of his patients. And I know that I value that when I am the one he is spending the extra time with. He is a conservative doctor who usually recommends more intensive follow up for problems, and he is current on all of the most recent medical treatments. If he doesn't know, he finds out. He is not just a doctor for adults, as my two young children have been seeing him since they were born. He is caring and inquisitive with them, and again is up to date on all the newest research on shots and illnesses. I highly recommend Dr. Banjanin!

January 26th, 2009
An amazing doctor...genius...a thorough work up...understands the complexity...I've found few doctor's that ask about the whole picture...how's your life in regards to relationships, what's the picture behind the picture...complete blood work ups and to study the clues...yes, some people don't want to hear the REAL reason why their depressed, they want a pill...they don't want to know what's really wrong initially, they just want to kill the pain and forget. Doctor Banjanin is so highly educated...he understands the human body and mind...he understands chemistry and physiology...he's in my opinion, the best doctor in Bellingham...and as a case worker who's taken hundreds of people to see physician's in this town...he's a world above the rest... He cares if you can afford something...he knows that if you can't pay for something...that can give you stress and make you more ill...he knows the double standards...the insurance and pharm. companies...he knows their when they are compassionate and positive...and knows when they are opportunistic and negative. He's one great genius doctor! For those that maybe have something bad to say...I'd say they are afraid of their own psyche, and are in denial of their own behavior! You'd be so fortunate to have such a genius family physician as Dr. Banjanin.

October 1st, 2008
Arrogant and condescending
Dr. Banjanin is a smart and charming man, but he exudes paternalistic superiority, especially to his female patients. He misdiagnosed me and several of my acquaintances, chalking up most complaints, especially from women, to anxiety and stress. I have since found a wonderful doctor who can't believe he could have missed my diagnosis, especially since I kept telling him what I thought it was. Not getting the proper treatment has led me to suffer potentially irreversible harm. I'm moving on with my life, but thought you, dear reader/researcher, should know.