Miriam P Garcia MD Patient Reviews

3.3

June 9th, 2014
Great experience!
Dr. Garcia spent time with me and found an anomoly in bloodwork that hadn't been noticed before after over 10 years of visiting different docs. I am very grateful to her care and time that she took with me. Turned out my problem wasn't neurological, but she referred me to a specialist who has helped tremendously.

July 31st, 2013
Do Not See This Woman
I was sent to Dr. Garcia by my GP doctor. What a mistake!!! At the beginning of the appointment she complained about not having enough time to do the appointment. This continued throughout the entire appointment. At about the half way point I volunteered to make another appointment and she briskly said,"NO, we will continue." There was no one in the parking lot or office when I arrived or when I left. I did not see what the time issue was that hindered her to conduct my appointment. While conducting the appointment she would only talk to me about the primary condition that my GP had sent to her even though I had a much larger pain issue to address. She finally offered me 3 solutions for that condition and when I refused the first 2 she curtly said, "Well, you will have to talk to your doctor about that then." I found her rude, abrupt, uncaring and non responsive on several levels. I have not heard how the tests that I had have come out and it has been several weeks. I would never recommend her to anyone. This survey wants me to give her at least one star to submit the review..I give her a zero.

December 14th, 2011
Disappointed
Miriam Garcia was not at all helpful. In fact, after looking at my paperwork she threw her hands up and said, "there is nothing I can do for you". This was said after reading my paperwork. She hadn't even talked to me other than to say hi and introduce herself! I went to her for help dealing with seizures, migraines and the strange occurence of mini strokes/TIAs. She was not familiar with ANY of those conditions and had no suggestions for me other than to go to VCU/MCV since they would have more up to date information about my conditions and issues than she had. I guess I appreciate that she told me all this right at the very beginning but still..it was quite a disappointment! I later found out she apparently has an interest in treating headaches but she seemed lost as to how to help me. I have been to several neurologists and I have never had one give up at the beginning of an appointment! What kind of doctor gives up immediately? She did do some basic tests to make sure I was ok and gave me this worthless piece of advice - to not go to the ER every time I have a seizure (I had told her at the beginning of our appointment that after 20-some years of this I know self care, as does my family, so I just rest at home after I have seizures). She didn't seem to listen to a word I said and gave this advice at the end of what was a waste of time appointment. Granted, it was stupid to pick a neurologist based on who was closest to me that my insurance would cover but still...I feel like if she's a neurologist then she should know SOMETHING! However, the advice about VCU/MCV turned out to be the one useful thing she said. I found out from a friend that the neurology department there is excellent! I won't be going back to Ms. Garcia but I did make an appointment to see a neurologist who comes highly recommended. I guess since I have always had such great neurologistsover the years I was bound to have a bad one eventually. If I hadn't moved I would still be seeing my old one.

October 13th, 2010
great recommendation but not working for me?
she came highly recommended by a coworker for headache treatment. I had 3 promising appointments but at my last appt she seemed to have used up all her "tricks"! My PCP tried for over 2 years before he gave up so to speak. Come on! She's a specialist and should have had more ideas. She kept asking me what I wanted to do or suggested going back to what I was taking before I came to her. mmmm, seems like it's time to find someone with more than a fixed set of ideas.That's not to say she didn't work for my coworker. She helped her immensely. And if one of her "tricks" (nerve blocks) had suited my needs, I could have stuck with her. But there are LOTS of other migraine/headache preventatives that *I* know about and I as a patient shouldn't have to tell the neurologist about them.In her defense, she is a caring person. She does take time to listen in the beginning and do a thorough exam and came up with a possible diagnosis based on symptoms I described that warranted the nerve blocks. And I may not have given tham a fair chance after just one try. Just didn't like it and her office billed me for fees my insurance didn't cover - still not sure I really had to pay that so I didn't want any more. So I'm at a crossroads on what to do next with my care.