Adult Endocrinologist

1555 East St
Ste 300
Redding, CA 96001
530-243-3231
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  He is not a Certified Specialist  |  show details
by Richard on Sep 17th, 2013

He is an Internist. However, under the policies of California's Medical License Board, he does NOT have the training necessary to be a Certified Specialist. he is self-declared endocrinologist.

|  Mixed Blessing  |  show details
by L.G. on Aug 13th, 2013

I see Dr. Akman on a regular basis that began after my health care was bungled by a couple of GP's who had no idea how to respond. Dr. Akman new immediately what my diagnosis was and the treatment that followed has been successful. I thought he was pretty thorough, but also stubborn in refusing to order a test to monitor a serious condition. When I pressed him on it, his response was, "I don't need to test, I know what it is." So, I will say that Dr. Akman seems to be pretty knowledgeable, but I have to agree with others that he can be rude and arrogant. I choose not to take him too seriously and actually enjoy joking with him to get him off his high horse. I do believe that he would be a much better doctor if he had an open mind and a more sensitive caring nature.

|  abusive  |  show details
by mtshastanative on Apr 15th, 2013

First visit with Akman was acceptable although his nurse got my name and diagnoses wrong (and did so repeatedly throughout the months) It surprised me that the man was ruder and more arrogant with each visit. Unfortunately because of a long term chronic condition that requires an endocrinologist care I had to see him fairly frequently for routine follow-up Going to see him was a personal torture that I very much dreaded because I didn't know what sarcastic rude comment was in store for any question I might ask. When I finally decided to keep my comments to a bare minimum he let me know that he was a busy man with a lot of patients and my particular case had no interest to him. Those who find him excellent are either hired by him or have not seen him often enough to know the Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde personality that emerges if you are female and you have to see him regularly. I'm very sad that he is Redding's only endo, I personally know a number of people who drive long distances to avoid seeing him. I am now joining them after a nurse friend encouraged me that I his manner is abusive and I do not have to tolerate that in the name of medical care

|  Less than Optimal  |  show details
Jul 12th, 2012

I believe that Dr. Akman is very knowledgeable and he is pleasant; however, he is not unlike most doctors today who do not have the luxury of being able to spend enough time with a patient in order to adequately assess and treat. Dr. Akman is guilty as most other physicians in approaching medicine in a sound-bite, slam-bam, rush-rush mentality due to trying to beat the clock and process as many patients as possible, rather than fully focusing holistically on every patient. As a result some good is done and much is missed.

|  disappointed  |  show details
Aug 9th, 2011

Following my appointments with Dr. Akman, I chose to drive 4 hours to San Francisco to see an endocrinologist there instead. At the office of the San Francisco endocrinologist, I was correctly diagnosed and was treated respectfully. I regret that this was not possible in Redding.

|  Akman is a good doctor but needs to show more empathy  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2011

I think as a whole he is a good doctor and intelligent. But he has an attitude of he is always right and has no patience in wanting to hear all you have to say that could possibly give him good info on your problem. He does not show very much empathy towards you or believe you are telling the truth about obeying the rules he has laid out to get you well. It's your fault, something you are doing wrong instead of thinking maybe the body is acting up again. If he could let his pride down and show some empathy and more compassion for his patients daily life of pain or sickness he would be a much better doctor. He also needs to be more encouraging.

|  show details
by -K.R.D on Aug 7th, 2010

I dont understand why dr. akman is the only endocrinologist in shasta county, mind you the whole california northstate. Very rude & stuck up. Waited for appointment for almost 3 hours just to be denied treatment from him. Does not act even somewhat quickly for giving treatment. he has put my health condition on hold for almost 4 years! Wrote a full page letter begging for the treatment I need before It results in other health issues, and still was not answered. He couldnt verbally tell me himself that he refuses to see me, only by letter. Make it a factor when I say this doctor is not caring, he is not patient, he is not courteous, he is not timely, he is not thorough or efficient in his practices.

|  Love Him  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2010

Other than having to wait a little bit in the waiting room, everything went great. Everybody was very nice to me and very professional. I previously saw an endocrinologist in a nearby city. I was never happy there but really had no choice. I am glad I moved here and found Dr. Akman.

|  show details
Apr 7th, 2010

I hope that I do not have to go to him again.

|  Fantastic Doctor  |  show details
Nov 4th, 2009

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Akman. He was very thorough and professional when he saw me. His bedside manner was excellent and we got along very well. He said there were a few possible diagnoses. He arranged for some blood tests and a scan. On the next visit he confirmed the diagnosis and referred me to a surgeon. His choice of surgeon was excellent as well. I am now feeling great again. I highly recommend Dr. Akman and his great staff!

|  Dr. Excellent  |  show details
Sep 17th, 2009

I am not sure what the other person's problem is. I found Dr. Akman's staff to be fully professional. Dr. Akman himself made me feel at ease as soon as I met him. I had seen numerous doctors for my problem and nobody could figure it out or treat me. He immediately thought he knew what was wrong. He was very thorough and after one blood test confirmed the diagnosis. He put me on the right treatment and I am feeling great again. You definitely DO NOT need to leave the area. I highly recommend Dr. Akman. Redding is lucky to have him.