Dr. Mitchell Akman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

January 24th, 2016
Do not go to this doctor!!!
My visit with Dr. AKMAN was quiet disappointing as I was looking forward to the benefits of his expertise in the field of endochronology and finally getting answers to my questions regarding my health issues. However, it was a a patient's nightmare. He was rude and obnoxious. He totally blew off my questions and treated me as if I were ignorant. His total disrespect of my questions and concerns were quickly dismissed by his rude mannerisms. He even talked down about his staff to me which I found to be very disrespectful and unprofessional. I was appalled that he had absolutely no bedside manner. He was very intimidating and talked down to me. Even though he is the only endocrinologist in Redding, I would travel to Sacramento or San Francisco for my health issues because I will not allow this doctor to treat me this way ever again. I highly suggest not using Dr. Akman to any future patients.

January 11th, 2016
avoid him and find someone else..
no confidence in his ability at all.. he seems to ignore anyone elses knowledge.. testing for the most basic and nothing more... his office is full of old men on their death bed.. his staff makes mistakes far to often and always seems stressed and tired.... he argues with other docs opinions and acts as if he is the only one who has knowledge.. I have found he is mistaken on the most basic of things... He has not kept up with the most current data regarding hormones at all... he prescribes only the types of meds that he gets a kick back from the major pharm companies for prescribing... He treats patients like a number and shoves them out the door... Google his name and you will see I am not the only one who feels this way...

December 23rd, 2015
I referred a family member after seeing Dr. Akman myself. Scheduling an appointment was difficult and the office staff incredibly rude. We had not received initial paperwork and the office person insisted it had been sent. I lack confidence in this because I have actually received another persons lab slips for radiation. When I called to question the treatment I was told I had received someone else medical lab slip. A definite breech of medical information, unprofessional and evidence that they are capable of major errors. Because we were 9 minutes late and did not have the paperwork he refused to see us. Incredibly rude and unprofessional.

December 2nd, 2015
Dr. Akman is very good and does a good job, however his nurse Asst. does not have a good attitude, and is not good at her job. She gets things wrong all the time and does not follow thru. If he had a better nurse asst. things would be much better in his office. The front office staff is very good and very helpful.

July 16th, 2015
I never went back

September 17th, 2013
He is not a Certified Specialist
He is an Internist. However, under the policies of California's Medical License Board, he does NOT have the training necessary to be a Certified Specialist. he is self-declared endocrinologist.

August 13th, 2013
Mixed Blessing
I see Dr. Akman on a regular basis that began after my health care was bungled by a couple of GP's who had no idea how to respond. Dr. Akman new immediately what my diagnosis was and the treatment that followed has been successful. I thought he was pretty thorough, but also stubborn in refusing to order a test to monitor a serious condition. When I pressed him on it, his response was, "I don't need to test, I know what it is." So, I will say that Dr. Akman seems to be pretty knowledgeable, but I have to agree with others that he can be rude and arrogant. I choose not to take him too seriously and actually enjoy joking with him to get him off his high horse. I do believe that he would be a much better doctor if he had an open mind and a more sensitive caring nature.

July 12th, 2012
Less than Optimal
I believe that Dr. Akman is very knowledgeable and he is pleasant; however, he is not unlike most doctors today who do not have the luxury of being able to spend enough time with a patient in order to adequately assess and treat. Dr. Akman is guilty as most other physicians in approaching medicine in a sound-bite, slam-bam, rush-rush mentality due to trying to beat the clock and process as many patients as possible, rather than fully focusing holistically on every patient. As a result some good is done and much is missed.

August 9th, 2011
disappointed
Following my appointments with Dr. Akman, I chose to drive 4 hours to San Francisco to see an endocrinologist there instead. At the office of the San Francisco endocrinologist, I was correctly diagnosed and was treated respectfully. I regret that this was not possible in Redding.

July 19th, 2011
Akman is a good doctor but needs to show more empathy
I think as a whole he is a good doctor and intelligent. But he has an attitude of he is always right and has no patience in wanting to hear all you have to say that could possibly give him good info on your problem. He does not show very much empathy towards you or believe you are telling the truth about obeying the rules he has laid out to get you well. It's your fault, something you are doing wrong instead of thinking maybe the body is acting up again. If he could let his pride down and show some empathy and more compassion for his patients daily life of pain or sickness he would be a much better doctor. He also needs to be more encouraging.

August 7th, 2010
I dont understand why dr. akman is the only endocrinologist in shasta county, mind you the whole california northstate. Very rude & stuck up. Waited for appointment for almost 3 hours just to be denied treatment from him. Does not act even somewhat quickly for giving treatment. he has put my health condition on hold for almost 4 years! Wrote a full page letter begging for the treatment I need before It results in other health issues, and still was not answered. He couldnt verbally tell me himself that he refuses to see me, only by letter. Make it a factor when I say this doctor is not caring, he is not patient, he is not courteous, he is not timely, he is not thorough or efficient in his practices.

June 23rd, 2010
Love Him
Other than having to wait a little bit in the waiting room, everything went great. Everybody was very nice to me and very professional. I previously saw an endocrinologist in a nearby city. I was never happy there but really had no choice. I am glad I moved here and found Dr. Akman.