Dr. Mitchell Galerkin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

September 21st, 2015
Not very personable and will only write scripts for 30 days.

April 21st, 2015
Used to be good
Dr Galerkin used to be good but has gotten worse. His office staff (his own family) is terrible about getting in contact and he has let my prescription run out of a drug that is dangerous to drop cold turkey. He is not answering his emergency line of any other line for that matter. I have been without the med for 2 days and if it goes past tomorrow I will be going to the emergency room to avoid seizures!

March 22nd, 2015
I went to Dr. Galerkin for several years. He was competent and provided excellent feedback. He was good about returning calls. However, his staff was horrible. When they didn't get insurance approval for my husband's bill, they didn't properly follow up with us or the insurance company. We ended up with an $800 bill that we had to pay when our insurance should have covered everything. I faxed Dr. Galerkin a letter, explaining my position. The only reply I got was that all billing matters were handled by his billing staff. He believed his nasty staff over me, even though he knew our circumstances. I was so overwhelmed with other matters that I let the bill go into collections. The collections company was very good and they arranged a plan where I only paid $25 a month. We figure that given the circumstances, $25 a month was the fairest repayment plan we could come up with; I figured he didn't deserve any larger or faster repayment. My husband and I had been very clear with the doctor about our financial situation and did the best we could to pay bills. He did not believe us when we told him we were not notified of our billing problem in a timely fashion. Another difficult quirk of the doctor is that he tended to dismiss a person from care if they missed 2 appointments, even if they had a long-term record of keeping appointments. This happened to me and given the stresses I was under, felt I should have been shown more understanding. When I was dismissed from care, I was told by letter/staff and was not given a chance to personally discuss the matter with him. After thinking I had a good relationship with the doctor for several years and to be treated in this matter was upsetting, to say the least. The effect of this on my husband is that he no longer wants to see a psychiatrist for medication management. This is not a good thing! In all fairness, he did charge me an adjusted fee for visits when my insurance no longer covered my care. All those payments were made in a timely manner and there was no problem with my billing. Because of what happened with my husband's billing issue and the way we were dismissed from his care, I would never recommend him to anyone who was looking for a compassionate psychiatrist.

February 17th, 2015
Don't Waste Your Time
Dr Galerkin never looked me in the eye. He recycles paper.

December 30th, 2014
Not the Great Caregiver that He Used to Be
The below is based on my experiences as a patient with Dr. Galerkin through around 8/2013. I have since gone to another provider. There is a possibility that his practice has improved since then, but probably not. So potential patients should be armed with this knowledge in advance. Dr. Galerkin used to be a great psychiatrist, providing individualized treatment, from paperwork to prescriptions to medical documentation. However, over the years, he has become excessively "corporate", treating patients more like numbers than human beings with different needs. He requires ALL patients (new and current/old) to complete multiple "disclaimer" and financial responsibility documents, including one that asks for credit card information even if you plan to pay by check. Many of the intake forms contradict each other, and Dr. Galerkin does not allow for any patient handwritten "clarifiers" on the documents - you have to sign them all as is, or go to another doctor. He also appears to be employing his own family to handle to office work (same last name), and they do not seem to be professionally qualified for this work. One of the intake forms says that you are financially responsible for all missed sessions where you do not give the office 24 hours advance notice, even if the absence was due to an emergency (such as hospitalization). Interestingly, Dr. Galerkin had cancelled several appointments with me in the past, without giving me 24 hours notice. But I never received a check from him for the late cancellation! In addition, his fees for medical paperwork (e.g., substantiation of diagnosis, medical restrictions, etc.) used to be reasonable. Now he charges $100+ for simple documents that take no more than 5 minutes to draft/sign. He also does not receive documents via Certified Mail. I tried sending him something, and his office never signed for the document, even though the intake form gave directions to send the document via Certified Mail. CONCLUSION: Unless his practice has made great strides in improvement since I last visitied, do not go to this doctor unless you don't mind signing your life away, having him cancel appointments at the last minute, getting overcharged for medical documents, and having to deal with incompetent office staff.

September 18th, 2014
Dr Galerkin
I saw this horrible Dr once, he was happy to prescribe high levels of lithium without regular blood level testing. I gained 50 lb's and felt like crap. Best think I ever did was get rid of him. He is all about the money. No follow up after visits, rushed in and out. Would not reccomend -10

October 17th, 2013
nickel and dimer
I also agree with many others on here. He Is more concerned with money and getting all he can out of his patients and their insurance than their mental health.

October 3rd, 2013
patient
Galerkin charges for such services as phone calls with your pharmacist and insurance company. he does not bill these through the insurance company but to you directly so that you are responsible for 100% of the charge .

August 7th, 2013
Dr Galerkin saw my 21 year old son twice for ADD. He seems to be a competent communicator. He did however not change his Add medication and since visiting another Dr and getting a better medication that suits him, my son is doing much better. The worst part however was when I called back to ask a question I was charged $20 for the phone call which lasted less than a minute! No one mentioned there would be a charge I just got he bill in the mail... BEWARE!!

August 4th, 2013
I am over 60 years old and began to struggle with a variety of mental issues that simply were overwhelming me. Finally decided that I needed help quickly because these impairments were affecting my life negatively on a number of fronts.

October 11th, 2012
Best referral ever
Dr. Galerkin was referred to me by an excellent, aspiring young Doctor and, He did not steer me wrong. Dr. Galerkin has worked dilligently on my particular situation,with unsurpassed knowledge and professionalism.I would highly reccomend Dr. Galerkin's services. iDr. Galerkin

August 28th, 2012
Anne
Dr. Galerkin is compassionate and is a skilled diagnostition. I have severe OCD and Anxiety and Dr. Galerkin has helped me to gain back my ability to be productive and go back to work. He recomended a therapist that specializes in cognative behavioral health. His staff is courtious and they made it easy to get an appointment.