Dr. Monika Mahal MD Patient Reviews

• Pediatrics Bellingham, WA

October 4th, 2011
Shouldn't be a Peds Doctor
We voiced concerns about our daughter's delay in speech. We asked for a hearing test to make sure everything was working properly. Dr. Mahal disregarded us multiple times. She finally said the office staff would contact us with the info for a hearing test center. A week went by and no word. I called back and spoke to a woman at the front desk who told me to just "google it!" I told her I didn't feel confortable just google-ing for a hearing center and would prefer her to give me a few names of doctors in the area. We have amazing insurance so that's not an issue. She then told me since our insurance doesn't require a referral, that I should just google a place. She then preceded to explain to me how to use google! (Roll eyes here!) I clearly wasn't getting anywhere with the staff. About the speech concerns; we were told by Dr. Mahal, that she'd just grow out of it, and pick up from other kids and adults. When I explained that since I'm with her all the time I do understand her, but others including peers do not. She told me, don't worry kids understand each other. Well let's skip forward 2 year, our now 4 year old daughter is dropping consonants, and having a difficult time communicating with unfamiliar people. She's in a Montessori school full time, and they encouraged us, and gave us the contact info for a speech therapist. Today she had her "test." She fail. Thanks Dr. Mahal for dropping the ball, and not listening to parents' concerns. Since after all, parents spend the most time with their children, and tend to know what's going on. Here's a little bed side manner of Dr. Mahal's; picking her lunch out of her teeth while "examining" her patient. She barely spent any time gaining the trust of her new 2yr old patient, let alone speaking to her. What a great peds doc. Please leave peds to real doctors who have a heart for kids. Maybe a change to podiatry would better suit her.

January 20th, 2011
Very happy with Dr. Mahal
I like Dr. Mahal and she has a great bedside manner with children. My only complaint is that she is so popular it can be hard to get in an appointment with her unless it's far in advance.