Dr. Mousa Shamonki MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.9

April 18th, 2015
My favorite MD
Best fertility MD around -- I'm a physician myself, and with Dr Shamonki's assistance, I was able to have 2 children. I've sent many friends and patients to him, and everyone loves him. He's intelligent, thoughtful, honest, patient, caring, available... and successful in getting his patients pregnant (all singleton pregnancies in my friends/patients).

October 13th, 2010
Traumatic experience
It is not far from the truth to say that I need therapy after seeing Dr. Mousa Shamonki for infertility. The cause: He has absolutely no bedside manors what so ever. I am left with the feeling of being abused, mentally bruised and looked upon by Dr. Shamonki as nothing more than a Cash-cow.I find it highly disturbing that a Doctor that deals with women pumped up on hormones as part of the treatment has so little understanding of how sensitive we are, or maybe he just doesnt care. That was certainly the feeling I was left with.I dont expect that a doctor connects equally well with all his/hers patients but nevertheless he should make an effort to at least show some sort of interest in what you are going through during this process. He appeared at all times very professional and polite but completely impersonal and without interest or compassion for how you are doing.When I tried to express that I was emotionally distressed he passed the bucket on by saying; Oh we have someone here that can help you with that and before I could say anything more he was out the door. He just does NOT want to deal with it.At the initial consultation he was briefed by his Residents or Fellows. Then had a conversation with us where he gave us all the facts so we could decide whether to go ahead or not. But from then on all personal communication stopped.So I have been analyzing the situation of why I feel so bad and my main conclusion is just that; CONTROL. Or loosing it.When you start fertility-treatment you hand over the control you have to the doctor. He takes over and controls your body with medications that make your hormone level explosive. When you voluntarily hand over control it usually is to someone you trust. In this case the trust was given to a Doctor that has the knowledge in this area. What he doesnt seem to understand is that when he has been given this responsibility it is him the patient needs to feel comfortable with since it is him that puts you on the medications and executes the examinations. It does not help to hand The Problem over to a therapist. In my case it would only have taken literally 2 minutes extra of his time to make me feel comfortable.The second thing that occurred to me is that women and men from the beginning of our lives are presented with our private parts in a completely different way.The men have theirs out there so they are used to be exposed and at any given time they are undressed around other people they are visible, so it is natural for them.Women on the other hand you never see their private parts at any time unless in the situation of lovemaking. This fact must obviously have a huge impact on how different the mindset of men and women are.Dr. Shamonki being a man may not have understanding of how intrusive, embarrassing and awkward these examinations are. To him doing this many times every day is probably natural. I find it surprising if he does not pick up womens discomfort and tries to make his patients feel more relaxed and at ease. I dont think many women disagree with me when I say that this type of examination is every womans least favorite thing and it shouldnt come as a surprise to him either.It doesnt make it better that the wait-time is ridiculous. When you go there you realize that several patients are scheduled at the same time as you are. We on numerous times waited 35-45 minutes in the waiting room and after that usually about 10-20 minutes in the examining room. At this time you already feel disrespected not to mention because you sit there with your lover part naked waiting for someone who most of all appears and behaves like a calculating real-estate broker rather than a caring doctor. And then on top of everything you have no choice but to show him youre most private parts. This is highly humiliating.I was dreading those visits. I am normally not a person whose emotions run out of control but numerous times I was crying before consultations. But now the treatment had started and I could not ask for another doctor. My husband was showing much understanding he also agreed the doctor did not have any bedside-manors but tried to comfort me with that soon I would not have to see him again.My husband and I had prepared us for the disappointment of not being able to be successful with IVF. We knew there was only a 20% chance for it to work. So we are not blaming the Doctor for that part. He probably is good at what he is doing.Had we known what was to come and the state of distress I have been in since we would not have done it at all. As already mentioned above it is not even from the expected reason which obviously is being confronted with not being able to have a child of our own. This we actually are dealing very well with because we know we will have children anyway. There are after all other options than getting them yourself. We are not desperate but thought it would be a beautiful thing if we could unite our love in a baby.I would have liked to communicate all of this to him but now the treatment is over and Dr. Shamonki no longer has any interest in us it seems impossible to get to talk to him without paying for another consultation.I find that rating him is my only way to get it out. And hopefully it will help other women to know what they are in for if they decide to choose this doctor.The positive things there are to mention is that as self paid we did get a discount. Also his IVF nurse coordinator was great. She gave me the time I needed and showed compassion and understanding of what I was going trough.

July 22nd, 2010
No manners

April 12th, 2010
Wonderful experience, VERY personal...you never feel like a #. Highly recommended!

January 3rd, 2010
excelent doctor
he is amazing makes you feel very relaxed and at ease I am very confident with what he advises me I am very lucky I found him through a colleague of mine,

August 12th, 2009
Attentive and caring. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Shamonki and his staff. His plan and treatment helped me conceive very quickly and easily. I give hime my highest recommendation.

July 1st, 2009
Excellent Doctor
He's a wonderful and nice doctor. It's unfortunate but he keeps his patients waiting much too long and it is extremely rude and disrespectful. I still recommend him though - really seems to know what he's doing.

June 11th, 2009
Kind, thorough, and excellent physician and experience.

April 6th, 2009