Dr. Murad Alam MD Patient Reviews

3.9

March 31st, 2016
Not upfront about charges
Beware. If you are going for a consult and end up getting a cosmetic procedure done, you will be billed additional fees. They are not upfront about charges. Dr. Alam is gentle and offers thorough explanations, except about what a visit will cost.

January 6th, 2016
Dr. Alam
Dr.Alam is so Awesome with a capitol A. He is very nice and polite and very knowledgeable. He makes patients feel comfortable and at ease!!!!

December 15th, 2015
I recently had to have Mohs surgery for a spot on my face. Dr. Alam explained in detail how the procedure would go. It required six rounds to get all of it. He was very patient and didn't rush the process. Throughout the process he talked to me and made sure I was doing ok. I would recommend Dr. Alam for Mohs surgery.

November 18th, 2015
Dr Alam and his staff are always every friendly, happy, concerned, and sincere.

November 3rd, 2015
Unprofessional - You will wait for his time schedule
This was my first visit to Doctor as I was referred for an excession of a severley A typical mole. It took one month to schedule my appointment. My appointment was at 2:30pm on a Monday. I saw the doctor at 4 pm when he came and gave me a local anthestic. He said he would return in 10-15 minutes. Doctor never came back. I left with a numb arm and nothing done at 4:45 pm. One of the worst experiences I have had with an unprofessional surgeon.

August 27th, 2015
Sliced open, stitched up terribly by a cocky "doctor"
I went in to have a cyst removed on my knee. After TWO HOURS of waiting, no joke, it was over two hours actually, he came in, did not introduce himself, and grabbed my knee and said "Ok let's get this out." He did nothing to explain anything to me about the procedure. He told me to just get up on the table and lie down, as I am answering the first and only question he even asked about the cyst, he started working on it! He rushed through it quickly and seemed more concerned about showing a resident how "easy" it is for him to remove a cyst. When he was finished, I sat up and saw the sloppiest stitches I've ever seen. The incision is a straight line, about an inch long, but the stitches almost take up the space of a golf ball and go in crazy gerrymandering-like directions. He basically ran out of the room as he told me that the nurse would tell me how to care for my wound. He explained absolutely nothing to me about the cyst he removed, the procedure or my healing process. He bragged about how he sewed my knee back together "from the inside". This guy would be fired from a sweatshop; he can't sew to save his life. My stitches are currently bleeding and ripping the skin they were sewn into. Not sure I will be able to take another day off of work to wait there for hours and hours for him to see me. I cannot believe this man is allowed to practice. He was so incredibly casual about slicing up my knee and his casual attitude is reflected in his shoddy work. I feel completely uncared for. Do yourself a favor and find a doctor that actually cares about his or her patients.

February 10th, 2015
This guy is an idiot.
I went to Dr. Alam to have two very small spider veins on each side of my lip area lasered off. Guess what? He made them worse. I paid $600 to have this done, and now the veins are more pronounced and worse than they were before. I would highly NOT RECOMMEND this guy. I am extremely dissatisfied, and he's a total incompetent.

December 2nd, 2014
SAHM
I was worried about seeing Dr. Alam after reading negative reviews. However, my dermatologist whom I trust, sends all patients to him for skin cancer removal and swears by him - so I went. I was extremely impressed with his staff, the doctor, residents, nurses and everyone I encountered. It took three rounds of the microscope procedure, so it was time consuming, but Dr. Alam was trying to cut as little as possible. Time well spent! I requested a plastic surgeon since it was on my face, and was quickly sent over to the next building. There was no hesitation! I would suggest you always use a plastic surgeon, because he spent a great deal of time with me making the incision as perfect as possible. I would highly recommend doing this, because both doctors' have their own areas of expertise. Between the two doctors, they were the perfect team! I would not hesitate seeing Dr. Alam. He is super kind, smart, accurate and calmed my nerves with reassuring words. He and the nurses had extreme patience answering my zillion questions. If you need a procedure done, this is where I would send any friend or family member! My follow up is with the plastic surgeon, but I can call Dr. Alam's office at any time.

April 8th, 2014
I am the reason you may have had to wait, but sit tight!
I have been seeing Dr. Alam pretty much since he came to Northwestern (highly recommended by a good friend at Columbia University and President of the Society for Investigative Dermatology. Prior to having the opportunity to be his patient I had been seen in every other Mohs clinic in Chicagoland. Yes, I am a problem case. Almost every time I come to the clinic Dr. Alam has "chosen" to stay late in the evening to complete my surgeries. He could easily stitch me up and say "Okay, come back in the morning and we'll get you finished up" or worse yet "We'll have to finish up next time you get in" When Dr. Alam "chooses" to stay late to complete my surgeries it also requires a Mohs tech and at least one nurse to remain. Often a resident would hang in to assist as well. I have gotten out of the office as late as 8PM from starting at 7AM. With all of this I have never once felt rushed. Never have I felt like a burden on the Dr or the staff. Not one time have I gotten an eye roll or even a hint of a feeling of "Oh great, that guy again!" from any member of the staff. In fact quite the opposite has been granted. We have always been warmly greeted and made to feel like family by now. . I have a syndrome that causes me to grow hundreds of skin cancers a year. In recent years Dr. Alam and Dr.Yoo have been instrumental in the development and research of a new drug that virtually stops the growth of these cancers in it's tracks without many of the side effects of traditional chemotherapy.They were very influential in assisting me in getting in a clinical trial for the drug. Since starting on the medication I have grown NO NEW TUMORS and the hundreds of lesions I started with are down to just a few calm spots. A drug like this could certainly cut into their business but that is not the concern for them. Quality of life for the patients is. While under Dr. Alam's care we had him look at a spot on my wife's shoulder that came up and looked unusual. He removed it that day knowing what it was. Lab work came back and confirmed his diagnosis of Melanoma. Had we not been under such close observation in his clinic it is very likely the "spot" would have been left to grow for quite some time before it was addressed. In her case it would have been fatal. We certainly feel he saved her life. So if the clinic gets behind on occasion I would hope that people may consider how much tie you would want a Dr to take after your body scan if things such as Melanoma were found. Believe me both of you days just got much more complicated! I hope that this is never the case for anyone reading this but fact is it occurs often here as they are the top performers in their field. Trust me if you do have one this ISN'T a place you want to walk out of! I have seldom had the problem of a long wait and I am here often. Pick up a magazine, go down get a cup of coffee and settle in. It will be worth the wait should you even experience one. Dr. Alam is not only among the most knowledgeable and skilled Mohs Surgeons in the field but bar none the most caring Dr. I have come across.

December 27th, 2013
How long is a reasonable wait in the waiting room for a body scan?
I'm not expecting much, but as an existing patient, I was pleased when I found it so easy to make an appointment with a choice of suitable times, I was pleasantly surprised and arrived well ahead of my appointment @2:15 p.m. Unfortunately, everyone in the city must have been given the same options. How rude to keep me waiting for over 1.5 hours only to be told, maybe another 30 minutes. I chose to leave and indicated I would come back another day, but, now I don't think they need my business (every six months) and will find a practice that may stick to their appointments with a bit more concern for the patient. I blame the M.D. and the foundation for this conduct.

March 7th, 2013
Great experience
Absolutely wonderful doctor. Made what I thought was going to be a potentially terrible procedure (thanks to YouTube) a positive experience. The staff was extremely kind and helpful.

February 27th, 2013
WGN TV NEWS MANAGING EDITOR
Dr. Alam put me at ease immediately with an appropriate sense of humor, and can be very conversational about many non-medical related topics. He is always curious and asks questions. Basically the same approach to your situation. He gives it to you straight, whether you even want to hear it. And then he explains. By the time you leave, you've become your own partner in learning about the disease and yourself. And you get home wanting to learn as much as possible. Dr. Alam can save your life, but you leave understanding you can to. This is the great leveler I found in working with him. No question is silly, in fact encouraged. It's my second time seeing him and I trust my skin and predicament in no one else's hands.