Neurologist (brain, nervous system), Sleep Medicine Specialist, Psychiatrist
Video profile

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Donna on Jul 13th, 2016

took care of the problem, offered second opinion, offered further testing if I wanted it, took my insurance. Very effective.

Not a trustworthy Dr. show details Not a trustworthy Dr.
Jul 3rd, 2016

He refuses to accept the contractual agreement he has with BCBS as an in network provider. This process is called "balanced billing". It's generally done by out of network providers, which he is not. I have had the same treatment for alot of years with other neurologists all of which charge only what contract allows for. My second visit with him left me owing 800.00 out of my own pocket, which i did pay. This was a 10 minute visit. Office staff told me I was billed for a vial of botox unable to share with other patients on this day as no other patients requiring botox. This is a process I have never heard of in all of my years with this treatment. Office staff was extremely rude and he refused to take my call or return it. I will never return to this Dr.

Jun 23rd, 2016

Very Professional

May 19th, 2016

I have seen Dr. Kumar maybe about two to three different times in the past. I found him to be sincere. I felt he was being honest and caring when he explained things to me. When my other caregivers needed to get in touch with him to verify information he was available even with his busy schedule. I remember him giving me a new inhaler because it was safer than the one I previously had from my primary doctor. One day I was really late for my appointment and It was closing time he waited for me and still saw me. My husband and I were lost and went to the wrong office we thought for sure we would have to reschedule.

by Nervous Patient on May 18th, 2016

Dr. Kumar was very quick to get me into his clinic after a seizure had sent me to the ER. He answered my questions concerning this terrible disease, and helped to get my seizurs stable thru both meds and a device called vns.

by Shirley Cooper on Apr 22nd, 2016

I have seen Dr. Kumar on numberious occasion. He's alway polite and really intelligent about what he's checking out. However he does forget the write my prescriptions sometimes and have to remind him.

Overall good visit. show details Overall good visit.
by Steven on Feb 13th, 2016

I had seen Dr. Kumar twice and both experiences were professional. I was seen fairly quick after arriving. Dr. Kumar did not seem to jump straight into a diagnosed conclusion with my condition and continued to follow up my care.

Good experience show details Good experience
Feb 12th, 2016

Thank you for all your help! The office was so kind to me.

by A. M. on Jan 11th, 2016

The entire office was so helpful and nice. The wait was a little long, but he took his time to answer my questions and listen to me.

by Roger Nondof on Nov 18th, 2015

Dr. Kumar very professional neurologist. He was able to fit me in on my busy schedule. Thank You and your staff!

Unsanitary show details Unsanitary
Nov 3rd, 2015

Walking in, I was offended by the receptionist's attire. She was not dressed for a professional setting. Sitting in the exam room was unsanitary. The trash cans were over flowing. Not once did the nurse or doctor wash their hands. It smelled terrible, food may have been sitting out, and the heat (70 ) made it, not only uncomfortable, but heightened the smell. I will definitely never be returning.

Oct 20th, 2015

My husband has seen dr Kumar several times. While conducting a cognitive memory test his staff member was texting THE WHOLE TIME. He graded the test and went to get dr Kumar. Dr checked it and reported my husband had cognitive memory deficit and should be tested again in 3 months. After calling to make a follow up appt I was told he didn't need to come back?!? Then a sleep study was ordered through our dr he was again sent to dr Kumar. The results were that he needed a c-pap. Dr Kumar insisted we go to a business out of town to Purchase my husbands c-pap machine. He got very angry when we insisted on going to the business ACROSS THE STREET to get the supplies needed. Additionally, it is my opinion that dr Kumar does not have a great understanding of the English language, and we had great difficulty understanding what he said.

Doctor's Response

Employee above has been reprimanded. Regarding the CPAP machine, we try to send the patients to the facility which will work best with the patient's insurance needs. It is important to note that Dr. Kumar studied medicine completely in English and is a US citizen. We encourage any patient with difficulty understanding Dr. Kumar to request an assistant remain in the room to clarify for them.

Rude staff, but still not sure what to think! show details Rude staff, but still not sure what to think!
Oct 16th, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Kumar through Tri-care. Some people have found Dr. Kumar to be very abrupt and yes, he is, but he gets to the point. My response is that people go to the doctor for a diagnosis. I think I did get that, so I cannot say with certainty that I was not pleased with his service, but I can say I was pleased with the end result. He did a script for Occupational Therapy (OT) which my PCM did a referral for IACH. The hands-off therapy sessions were a waste of my time and money. I returned to Dr. Kumar office for a follow-up, which after 3-5 weeks one cannot possibly expect any overnight success. He made note that the OT was conducted, but I was also pretty clear that it was unproductive. After the visit, there was nothing else that he could really do so he suggested that I return if I have any other neurological issues. So far, I get it, I think, but what about my nerve damage and carpel tunnel in both hands. Do I take meds? maybe some other aggressive hands-on form of therapy? I think surgery was discussed, but I truly can't recall, but I'm certain I wouldn't have agreed to it anyway. There has to be a less invasive method to minimize DAILY PAIN or discomfort. Basically, I can assure you that Dr. Kumar is no quack doctor, maybe a bit abrasive, but he's direct and one has to appreciate a doctor that doesn't beat around the bush. His staff on the other hand are a piece of work. Just flat out rude and it's bad business to have a patient pay for services prior to services rendered. I shouldn't have paid first, but I was afraid to leap over that counter to straighten out her attitude, so I remained calm and paid and waited some more. The wait time is usually pretty sad (20-25 min), but the one time that I arrived late for an appointment the "secretary" was so nasty over the phone, but was kind enough to remind me that "I even called you yesterday". WOW! that was nice, huh? It's okay, what goes around comes around. THEY will inevitably receive the same unprofessional customer service in return, maybe not today, or tomorrow, but when they least expect it, hopefully not during a life or death situation. In future, I think I'll just review customer comments before I allow the PCM staff to arbitrarily close their eyes and select a specialist.

Doctor's Response

We are sorry for your experience with the late appointment as you described. Your comments are noted and will be used to improve our services.

May 1st, 2015

Dr. Kumar mis-diagnosed my stroke as multiple sclerosis (MS) based on a single MRI. He did this in an arrogant and unprofessional way which led to a delay in my receiving the treatment that I should have in the critical months after my stoke. This mis-diagnosis was took me on an emotional rollercoaster, not to mention countless visits to other neurologists/doctors (outside of Manhattan) to get a correct diagnosis. He is careless, overconfident, and incompetent, and patients should seek out a different doctor at all costs to avoid problems and improper treatment like I experienced.

Doctor's Response

Please note that we do not give a diagnosis of MS without the proper spinal tap laboratory confirmation. This is a given. Many MRIs may suggest stroke or MS, but MS is never diagnosed without a spinal tap confirmation.

Mar 15th, 2015

He is a JOKE! His staff is the rudest I have every seen! I hired an Attorney to sue him . All he cares about is money NOT people! DO NOT see him-

Feb 2nd, 2015

Staff is the RUDEST I have seen! They are a JOKE! They do not care about people here

Do not waste your time with this 'doctor' show details Do not waste your time with this 'doctor'
by Marie C. on Jan 9th, 2015

I was referred here through Irwin Army because of a Pituitary Tumor and a cyst on my Cerebellum. I have been having minor to major tremors, headaches, vertigo and severe insomnia. I was seen in the ER and told to see about getting in sooner with the new Neuro (Dr. Kumar). I called the Neurologist office and told them why I needed seen sooner, after about an hours wait I was able to get in the next day. I brought my mom because I was told I'm not allowed to drive. Once I was in a room and the Dr came in it was very hard to understand him, I ha to ask him numerous times to repeat himself... I explained my symptoms and told him I had an MRI showing the tumor and cyst. The tumor is being managed by a different doctor, an Endocrine Dr elsewhere. He moved me to another room and looked at the CD of the MRI. He said all the symptoms I was experiencing was due to psychiatric problems an that I needed to 'calm down'. He then have me the disk back and I asked him about the cyst, he never mentioned or looked at the cyst, which was why I was there! He put the CD back in and showed me the 'pretty good size cyst'. He still said it was psychiatric and that I still needed to 'calm down' I disagreed with him and told him there was something wrong. I couldn't function properly at work, while driving and daily living. It was interfering with my day to day living! He kept insisting it's psychiatric. I asked his what I was suppose to do about it, he wanted me to see a Neurosurgeon 'if I wanted to' to see if it was possible to drain or remove the cyst. He originally said it was okay for me to drive and when I asked him questions about the safety since I was experiencing intermittent severe vertigo/dizziness for extended periods of time he then scolded me and asked me what I wanted to do! At this point my mom is very angry so we decide to seek second opinion. He leaves the room and leaves the door open. He mocks me to one of his employees ad out how he is the educated one and how uneducated on this... Very unprofessional! I do not recommend this 'doctor' to anyone who wants their healthcare taken seriously! This is very unacceptable and I will no accept that I am having these problems due to psychiatric depression/anxiety! Don't wast your time and risk your health!

Dec 13th, 2014

Very nice manner and good clinician

Soldier show details Soldier
by Joel on Sep 18th, 2014

Dr. Kumar has been very helpful in all aspects of my care. I was seen seizures and Dr Kumar worked with my regular medical provider until my seizures were under control and continues to follow up to ensure I am ok.

disappointed show details disappointed
Aug 25th, 2014

Found him difficult to understand, as a result got very limited information concerning my wife's condition. Didn't get a genuine feeling of concern about the options of treatment. Quite possibly because of the inability to understand him

Doctor's Response

Should another appointment be needed, we ask that you request an assistant to remain in the room to help with your understanding. We are most happy to help you with this.

Nuro show details Nuro
by Alex R on Apr 30th, 2014

Thanks for all your help with my Migraines!!!!

Great doctor! show details Great doctor!
by K. A. on Apr 7th, 2014

Dr. Kumar is a great doctor! He has helped me get my migraines under control. He is always prompt in following up with me after tests have been ordered. I also love his office staff, they are very friendly. I think Dr. Kumar is the best neurologist around!

Will not be going back show details Will not be going back
by amiller on Jan 20th, 2014

I took my daughter to this doctor due to her many migraines. She's 12 years old. He put her on so many medicines that she is still suffering from the migraines and also suffering depression, constantly tired and dopey and loss of appetite due to the 5 medications that he put her on including a shot medication. I am so disgusted. Just as another reviewer pointed out he allowed another person in the room without acknowledging who he was while he was meeting with us. I witnessed him arguing and dismissing one of his nurses while in the room with us. I found him rude and arrogant. I am taking my daughter off of the medication and taking her to another doctor.

He's helped me tremendously! show details He's helped me tremendously!
by Lynn Miller on Sep 26th, 2013

I was referred to Dr. Kumar having 1-4 migraines a week. My regular physician was unable to help me, but immediately Dr. Kumar knew what medicine to put me on & what to do. I haven't had a full migraine in 4 months! He also diagnosed my sleep apnea, which I stubbornly did not think I had - & I did, bad! I now feel SO much better, & I owe it all to his correct diagnosis'! I actually like that he is forward & direct - I don't need a BFF, I need a doctor who knows what he's talking about & is going to fix the problem. He's also more than happy to help me out with making sure my meds are refilled & in good supply. And the staff is beyond courteous & always friendly. I couldn't be more pleased! I think Dr. Kumar is outstanding! I trust him completely as my Neurologist, & enjoy my visits to his office.

Wonderful experience show details Wonderful experience
Jun 2nd, 2013

This doctor is to the point. He's straight to the point but at the same time spends adequate time with his patients.

MS patient show details MS patient
by M M on May 27th, 2013

Has treated me for 20 years and I am still functioning and working full time. When a new drug has become available for MS Dr KUmar has presented me with the option to try it. The few times I have flared up he has been quick to respond and order the outpatient IVs. Also Dr Kumar works closely with my family doc to monitor my disease so that things are not duplicated. I feel I owe my current good condition to Dr Kumar's excellent care of me all these years.

Jan 17th, 2013

He seemed eager to help me at first. He was reviewing my medical history telling me he wants to help me get to the bottom of what was going on with me. As soon as he got to the paige that contained my med list, he lost interest real fast. I was on percocet for my back. He then passed everything off on, it was phycological and drugs. He judged me based on a script I was on, then no longer wanted to help me. Needless to say, I am no longer on the pain med and am still having severe problems.

Nov 3rd, 2012

Completely unprofessional. Prescribed me medications that I told him a was highly allergic to, to which he replied "Suck it up, the reaction usually only lasts five minutes." Chastises patients for going to emergency rooms when the pain is excruciating, tells them that they cant do that. I waited for over an hour in the waiting room while he chit-chatted with his receptionist. He allows other people into room without treatment, without telling you who they are, and will not make them leave when you ask for it. This is one of the worst doctors I have ever seen. I will longer go to him. I will also be filing a grievance against him with the Kansas Medical Board for malpractice, HIPPA violations, and complete unproffesionalism.

Nov 1st, 2012

Dr. Kumar ran a series of tests and said he was able to rule out carpal tunnel. He ordered an MRI which he said would be covered by my insurance (it was not). When I returned to get the MRI results he first didn't know why I was there. Since he was unprepared, he had to review my case while I waited (he also had to take a very important call from a car salesman). He told me the results were unremarkable and he didn't need to see me again. When I asked what would be causing my symptoms he said they must be due to carpal tunnel, which he had already ruled out. Basically, I had to pay $2,500 and received no diagnosis or treatment.

Oct 22nd, 2012

He was a rude, horrible man..accused me of pain pill seeking when I was in his office in pain crying after a type of drug he gave me, caused me to have a severe allergic reaction I almost died if I hadn't stop taking the medication myself & gone to the emergency room. His nurses and staff are sweet and they listen. He is rude, short and doesn't really care because he's getting paid either way.

Unprofessional show details Unprofessional
Aug 19th, 2012

I would not recommend this doctor. He was the only doctor I have ever had that made me angry after my first visit. I went in with problems of Tremors and confusion issues. He asked me about my migrains which I proceeded to tell him in detail about. He tells me I have Migrains (Duh!) and I tell him I know that was not what I ws seeing him for. He asks me why I was there I told him because I get tremors. He tells me it was just essential tremors no big deal. I asked him how he knew that, he then scowled at me and said he was sending me to get a Spinal Tap. I felt this was an invasive procedure he was giving me based on his irritation with me for doubting him. He prescribed me a bunch of meds and then mailed me more without telling me why or for what. I am now seeing a different doctor.

great doc!! show details great doc!!
Jul 29th, 2012

Very professional, very kind, compassionate, no beating around the bush, direct answers, very patient,good listener.

Longtime helpless patient show details Longtime helpless patient
Jul 20th, 2012

He is a jerk. He has no concern for the patient's well-being. He makes his diagnosis based on a five minute glance. He is clueless about the eeg charts that are given to him. He has no bedside manner and is a money grabbing quack.He should not be allowed to practice medicine anywhere.He is rude and insulting if you question his methods and is extremely insecure about new ways of treating patients.

Jul 9th, 2012

This doctor is the worse Dr. Iv'e ever seen. I was refered to him from another county I cant even tell you what his professional diagnosis was because after he told me I am your God! I could no longer focus on anything he said.

Doctor's Response

Clearly this was difficulty in understanding the doctor.

unprofessional show details unprofessional
Jan 16th, 2012

this guy is a quack, go someplace else

Would NOT recommend him show details Would NOT recommend him
May 30th, 2011

We have now changed Neurologists once again due to fact that Dr. Kumar is very incompetent in what he does. My son has been trying to get his drivers license and Dr. Kumar filled out paperwork for us, and the info that he put on there was wrong! Dates and information, right down to amount of medication he takes was WRONG! He then got info back from my son's EEG and didn't give us the results because our referral ran out! I had to go to our primary care Dr to get a read out of his EEG which was abnormal by the way. Terrible, terrible Dr!

Content. show details Content.
May 9th, 2011

I've never had a problem with Dr. Kumar. Whenever I have had a problem and needed to set up an appointment he has been able to see me within two weeks. He will answer all of my questions and provide me with the information and care I need.The problems I do have with are as following: During visits I feel rushed and I feel like he thinks that he needs to give you medicine for every problem you have.

Apr 17th, 2011

worst human being alive..whats the point of living when you are not nice as a person to anyone in this world..

Liked Him! show details Liked Him!
Apr 11th, 2011

He answered all my questions and even talked me into a CPAP, which I really didn't want and cried over. Perhaps some people don't understand the cultural difference, but I had no problems at all and have no intentions of changing doctors.

Dec 5th, 2010

This is the worst person to go to. You should find someone else for the sake of your health. Take my advice and spend your precious time elsewhere

Completely Ridiculous! show details Completely Ridiculous!
Nov 27th, 2010

I have been seeing a neurologist for the past seven years, after about three years they finally found a "Cocktail" of medications that worked amazing and I was excited because I was feeling a bit down for a while. Then our family relocated to the Manhattan area and I was assigned Dr. Kumar. After my first visit he took me off all the medications that had worked well for me for the past five years because he supposedly knew of a better way to treat my condition. Needless to say my symptoms are worse now than they have ever been! This is the WORST neurologist I have ever seen! Save your money and go see a better neurologist!

Oct 27th, 2010

I implore you not to see this doctor. I ha never met such an insensitive doctor. He didnot answer half my fathers questions. We expect respect, sympathy, and attention from a doctor all of which are lacking in this one. The staff was exact opposite with extremely friendly nature. The doctor was in a rush to leave the room and barely letting my father finish his sentences. My father is better of with another doctor who can give his unwavering attention, time, and sympathy.

Oct 18th, 2010

i never received a follow up call- heartless

Oct 15th, 2010

Horrible

Most unprofessional dr. office I have ever visited. show details Most unprofessional dr. office I have ever visited.
Oct 11th, 2010

Dr. spent very little time with my father. He had a college student give some tests to check my parent's memory. The student actually laughed outloud at some of the answers my parent gave! Follow up is horrible too!

Idot show details Idot
Jun 7th, 2010

You want to waste your time and money go see this clown - he is absolutely worthless. Don't know how he has any patients

Never been treated so badly show details Never been treated so badly
Sep 3rd, 2009

I have never been treated so badly at a doctors appointment in my entire life. I had to wait an entire hour before I even saw Dr Kumar and in the meantime watched as a nurse and receptionist left the office to pick up Dr Kumars Van from the Body Shop, followed by Dr Kumar giving the nurse cash for doing so. I was asked to sign consent forms that had nothing to do with the proceedure I was having done, therefore was upset and worried when I started reading things Dr Kumar wanted me to sign that I had no information on whatsoever. A consent form was given to me to sign that stated that Dr Kumar had answered all the questions I had and when I tried to ask Dr Kumar questions he shoved a booklet and a DVD in my facce and told me to come back in a week. Dr Kumar is very rude and does not let you get a word in edgewise. I would NEVER recomend anyone to this doctor. Dr Kumar has no personal skills and is very short with patients and rude and his office is very unorganized. I will be filing a complaint with the Kansas Medical Association.