Dr. Nathan Averill MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

April 1st, 2015
Uncaring
Dr. Avril was cold and uncaring. I had the flu and I felt awful and he just brushed me off and told me that my flu test was negative so he didn't give me anything. I went to Nason the next day and they gave me an IV and said my flu test was positive and gave me flu medicine. The doctor at Nason was kind and at least acted like he cared.

February 15th, 2014
Insulting and arrogant
I was new to the area, so I thought I would give it a try. I waited for almost an hour before being called back. When I saw Dr Averill for bronchitis, I was telling him about my fibromyalgia and back pain, and he ROLLED HIS EYES. He was so arrogant when he told me why he would not give me medicine, even though I was hacking up green snot for 2 weeks. He made me feel stupid for asking questions. Why be a doctor if all you want to do is be on a high horse? I would tell everyone I know to stay away from him. The waiting room and bathroom were gross, and not one person that worked there even smiled.

May 18th, 2012
Dr. Averill is a terrible inconsiderate and rude doctor
This guy will talk down to you and argue with you. Like a review another lady left he also advised me I could seek treatment elsewhere. When he talks to you, he talks down to you and tries to belittle you. Go to this guy if you want to be treated like a dog. Worst doctor I ever met.

April 27th, 2012
loud children
I had The pleasure of meeting Dr .Avrill today .Although my other son was not seen, he was very scared to be in the dr office period ..Dr worked very well with my children , While examining my oldest was showing compassion to my youngest (who was being very loud ),dr also acknowledged and was kind to the non patient in the room ,Some dr might of been very irritated or distracted or rude about a noisy small child interrupting an exam. .He was patient and did not rush me through any of my concerns .I would recommend him to anyone for caring, professional care .He gets high marks for being such a good sport .The entire staff is always helpful and courteous .I'm pleased to come here as my children get very hysterical going to the dr, it could of been a very unpleasant ordeal had Dr not known how to handle a noisy frightened child .

April 11th, 2012
Ms. Annette McLain
Extremely caring and concerned with my daughter! Made it much easier for a young lady to feel comfortable with a first time 'gown up' doctor visit. I recommend Dr. Avril to everyone!

March 29th, 2012
I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life.
This may be a long one.My daughter has been sick for the past 4 weeks. She has seen the doctor 4 times. The first - her pediatrician, we then switched to Dr. Averill. The second - Dr. Averill saw her and said call back if she isn't feeling better in a couple of days. A couple of days pass... still sick. The comes the third visit - another Doctor in his practice prescribes antibiotics for an ear infection. My daughter gets diarrhea and begins vomiting. We call the after hours line at 6 that evening - received call back at 9 from the doctor on call. He tells us to stop the antibiotics and bring her in first thing in the morning. Due to my job, I wasn't able to bring her in in the morning, and had to wait until the evening. Concerned since i was instructed to bring her in the morning, I call and leave a message at 8 am with Dr. Averill's nurse for a call back. By noon I had not received a call, so I call the receptionist. "If you don't hear back by 1, call us again. The doctors return their calls after lunch". Okay... so 1:30 comes and no call still - call back to the receptionist. She asked what was going on and I tell her. "He will want to schedule an appt since it has been 5 days since she's seen a doctor at our practice" she tells me. So I schedule her appointment and bring her in that afternoon. To make a much longer story shorter... During my 10 month olds exam I mention that it's really hard to see your baby be sick and have to come in for all of these appointments and watch her stay sick and not get any better. He then says "if you aren't satisfied with the service you are receiving at my practice, you are more than welcome to go elsewhere." HUH???? I turned to him and said "what?". He said it totally out of no where and it completely shocked me. "You obviously aren't satisfied with the treatment your daughter is receiving" he continues. At this point my eyes just started welling up with tears. I was totally shocked that he would speak to me that way for no reason at all. There was no hint of sarcasm or anything in my voice, and I did not understand it. And anyone who knows me knows, I do not cry. I begin to cry... actually I was bawling. "I can refer you to a specialist if you don't think I am diagnosing her correctly, there is no problem with that" he says. Then I guess he noticed I was crying so he asked me if i was going to be okay and started to tell me that she will get better. What???? Did you not hear what you said to me? I told him, "it's not her that I'm crying about, I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't saying anything about your practice, i am just having a hard time with her being sick was what i meant". "well you can call me anytime you want" he says. "you don't have to bring her in here every time she gets sick, feel free to call me." "Yea, I did try to call you this morning. But you never got to call me back." "i see 25 patients a day, I don't have a whole lot of time, and it wasn't an emergency" he says. So I told him about the conversation we had with the doctor on call the night before. I told him i was calling because the doctor told us to bring her in first thing in the morning and i wasn't able to. "well you need to be more patient if it's not an emergency, you don't have to keep calling." .... um the receptionist told me to... You can't argue with stupid I guess. I just left it alone and let him ramble as I continued to cry. I don't know how or who to tell this story to, but I just wanted to vent it somewhere. Maybe someone will read this that can benefit from it. I literally cried for probably 2 hours after I left his office. I do not understand why or how that happened. But it hurt really bad to be talked to like that by someone who you're supposed to be able to trust. And I can assure you, I was not abrasive or sarcastic when i was speaking to him. I just don't get it.

October 27th, 2011
Outstanding
Dr. Averill is the most thorough doctor I have ever visited. He truly cares and always treats me with great respect. I would recommend him to anyone

January 10th, 2011
Excellent Physician
Easy to talk to about your problems; spends time with you and most importantly - listens to you.

July 23rd, 2010
Lack of experience
Dr Averill lacks the depth and breadth of knowledge & experience to adequately diagnos anything other than the most innocuous conditions. Furthermore, he does not listen adequately to what the patient is trying to tell him and makes leaps of judgement that are unfounded. Granted he was an intern when he was my doctor. I hope he learns better people, listening and diagnostic skills.