Dr. Nathan Baker MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

no change

December 30th, 2015
Miss
Dr. Baker is without a doubt one of the kindest, most knowledgable and caring doctors I have ever been to. Having had cancer 3 times and had my thyroid removed, I have seen many doctors and specialists! I had a lump at the age of 24 that 'just didn't feel right'! At the time I had a family doctor in Hazard that myself and my mother had been seeing since I was 12 years old. When I told him and showed him the lump, he literally laughed at me and told me I was healthy as a horse and that lump was probably just a cyst or an ingrown hair. He would not X-ray it or do any lab work, said it was a waste of money. I had to argue with him to write a referral for my gynecologist, which you had to have back then for insurance purposes. I had good insurance through Bluecross Blueshield. The ob/gyn went along with the suggestions of my family doctor and wouldn't do ANYTHING! My sister was going to Dr. Baker at the time and was just as scared over this lump as I was so she suggested I see Dr. Baker. When I called they didn't have an appointment available for a new patient for 4 weeks out. I explained the issue and the attitude of my physician and gynecologist and they scheduled me in as a walk in the next day. When I met him, it was like talking to someone I had known my entire life. He did an exam an scheduled me in to have the lump removed the next day. It was an enlarged lymph node and he removed it all together instead of just a specimen of it, and sent it to the Mayo Clinic pathology department in Minnesota and requested a rush on it. He called me himself 5 days later and asked me to come to his office at the Whitesburg clinic. I had a feeling as to what it was the day I found it but when he sat down beside me, the tear that rolled down his cheek confirmed my biggest fear. I was 24 years old and had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (cancer)!!! That lump that two reputable physicians that I had been seeing for years, the ones that laughed at me and told me it was nothing were very wrong!!! That ridiculous thought to them was CANCER for me! Dr. Baker had known me for less than a week and had just saved my life! He continued my healthcare over the next 10 years until I moved 3 hours away and was working full time. I have never been as confident in any other gynecologist, or even oncologist for that matter as what I was with him. Throughout the years following, after my cancer treatments were over, he or one of his nurses would even call me at home between my six month check ups just to ask how I was feeling and remind me to do my self exams at home between my office visits. He even apologized to me on behalf of the doctors that belittled me for thinking I had something wrong with me! He owed me no apologies for their incompetence, but he felt the need to. I know what he thought about it, even though he never talked badly or bashed them to me. He was always extremely professional while maintaining kind and caring bedside manner. From then on, anything that ever happened to me, he saw to it to get me into top notch doctors regardless of what the condition was. He never tried to practice outside of his field of specialty, but sent me to the ones that needed to see me. I have since had the cancer return twice and the treatments left me unable to have children. Two things I know for certain in my mind, he may have very well saved my life by removing that cancerous lymph node and I am absolutely positive, had I ever been able to have children, he would have been the one to care for the pregnancies and deliveries without any hesitation! There is no such thing as a perfect person or physician but he is the closest I have come across in the last 20 years! One thing he said my case had taught him that he was always going to consider in his practice is "a woman knows her body a lot better than any doctor does, and he would always put their concerns over his own first opinions"! I think it would be great if all doctors practiced that way! I am proof that you can't make medical diagnosis's based on whether someone 'looks' healthy as a horse! I have a pregnant niece right now that I would feel %100 confident that she and our soon to be bundle of joy would receive excellent care if she chooses to see Dr. Baker! I had hopes of him delivering several little bundles for me, unfortunately some things just aren't meant to be. I am just thankful that mine and Dr. Bakers paths crossed! For the record, the only reason I didn't put 5 stars across the board and put 4 for promptness is because there were times he would have to leave to go deliver little love bugs. I heard women complain about him being late for an appointment on occasion, I often wondered if it crossed their mind that when they were ready to deliver their babies, it may cause a delay in someone else's appointment! Lol

June 18th, 2015
the best OBGYN in Ky!!@!!!
I have always thought that he is a great Dr. who cares about his patients. he has been my obgyn for 20 years and i just love him I am now sending my daughter whom he delivered 18 years ago to him!!!!!

July 3rd, 2013
My baby's baby
Ive known Dr. Baker for years. He was an intern at ARH and I was pregnant for the first time,"with twin girls". I was 20 yrs old and scared to death when I met him. He talked with me for awhile like an everyday person would. Not at all like the other Dr.s. I felt so much better after being examined and talking with him. He took some of the fear away and made me feel at ease. My twins are 23 now and 1 is having her own child. I made sure Wade Baker would be her Dr. That makes her and I both feel so much better about the up coming birth. Everythings gonna be ok!

March 12th, 2013
Run away.
Do not waste your time with ARH go to Pikeville. They are unable to save preterm babies and will lie to tell you that no one else will take you. This is not true. I lost my son. He was born premature but it was against their policy to save him. Pikeville said they would have taken me and flown me to Virgina if needed. Dr. Baker lied to me the entire time when I should have been going to Pikeville instead of trusting him, and my son lived for 30 minutes on his own. We moved back up to Minnesota where they saved a baby the same size and gestation a week after we got back. Two yrs later the baby is normal. Keep your unborn child far away from this man. He shouldn't have a medical license. I was thrown into the medical surg unit after my son died. I didn't get a shower or bath until they told me I was free to go. I was in there for at least a week. Horrible nursing staff and horrible doctors.

July 17th, 2011
Very good OB/GYN
Other than having to wait on a room, the overall experience was rather good. The staff has always been nice, helpful and caring towards the patients. If you are having contractions then they can go ahead and put you on the monitor and prompt the Doctor (my fav Dr. Baker) With my routine paps he explained when one was bad and followed up with me on the others just to be safe. He gives the mothers and moms to be options and statistics both personal and usually national. He can relate to the mom's and dad's as he is a parent. He takes pride in what he does and I would recommend any one to him, including my daughter when she comes of age. He has caught cysts, tumors, possible cervical cancer and early pregnancies multiple times and helped me through each and every one of them. Along with his staff. PA Crystal my fav Female Doctor. An assortment of RN's and CNM: Certified nurse midwves (doulas) natural child birth along with a newly renovated multi-million dollar birthing center added on to the maternity ward and nursery. I love them and am proud to be there patient!