Dr. Nathan Roesler MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

September 12th, 2010
I was spoiled by our last doctor, but this was a rotten experience.
My husband, our two daughters, and I moved to Texas from Louisiana a year ago. The hardest part about moving was having to change pediatricians. We didn't have any close friends with young children, so we had to do our own research in finding our original pediatrician. We are both paramedics and my mother and sister are nurses, so we were fortunate enough to be able to ask others in the medical field who they would suggest. My mom even went so far as to call up the NICU that she used to work in and ask who was considered to be the best pediatrician. Almost every person we spoke with said the same pediatrician. (Since I was about to be a mom for the first time, I took the extra step to call multiple offices to get a feel for how the staff might be) When I first called the pediatric office and explained that I was pregnant with my first child and looking for a pediatrician, the staff was wonderful. They answered my questions and even offered to set up a meeting with the doctor before making a decision. I know many of you are probably thinking that this was just to get us in the door, but we went to them for 2 years and they were just as caring and kind each time. The staff was always friendly and though their pediatric group was definitely busy, they knew who we were without having to look at the chart. The doctor was the same way. She took the time to get to know us and our kids. She knew what was normal for them and what was not. We never felt rushed and it was always obvious that when it was our turn to be seen, we had their full attention. I have explained all of this so you might better understand why the experience with Dr. Roesler was so frustrating. When we first called his office, the staff was rude and not willing to answer any questions. I was told that I could not get my children entered into their office as patients until I brought them in for illness or a wellness visit. When I stated that my youngest was going to turn 1 in a few months, I was advised that it would need to be scheduled then to get her in on time. On our first visit we took both of the kids in with us so we could get a feel for how our new pediatrician would be with the kids. The wait to get into a room was long and then it was almost as long before he actually come in. He barely spoke to us and didn't seem to be paying much attention. He also barely even looked at my other child. The total time he spent in the room was about 5 minutes. Then we were sent back to the waiting room to wait for vacinations. The only person on the staff who even spoke to the kids enough to say "Hi" was the nurse who gave the vacinations. Though we were not impressed, we decided to stay with this pediatrician. We knew we were not likely to find a doctor like the one we had before. If we couldn't have good and friendly then we would be ok with just good. Since neither of my kids normally get anything more than the occasional cold or mild seasonal allergies, we didn't think we would have to deal with the office much anyway. Unfortunately a few months later our oldest started getting sick with what initially seemed like a sinus that wouldn't go away. Clear runny nose and sounding congested with the very rare complaint of a sore throat. We brought her in and they thought agreed that it was just sinus congestion. After a couple of months we started noticing more of a change in her. She was little to begin with and normally didn't eat a lot at once, but she started eating even less and then the fever started. Please understand that this is a child who had only had a fever above 101 once before this and now it was spiking between 103 and 104. She has always been very active and was found to have the vocabulary of a 3-4 year old when she was 18 months old. Now she was pale and tired most of the time and not talking as much. Needless to say, we were worried. We couldn't get in to see the doctor, but the nurse practitioner was able to see us. She ordered blood work to be done at the hospital across the street and tested for strep. The strep test came back positive, but she was convinced it was something more. Due to all of the symptoms, she was thinking that it was mono. She put my daughter on antibiotics and had us schedule a follow up visit. A day later I stopped by the records department at the hospital for the results. Though I was able to obtain the CBC, the mono screening would not be ready until the next day. After another 2 days past without a call from the doctor's office, I called them and found out that they tried to tell me that none of the results were ready yet. It turns out that they just never requested them from the hospital. That week she got worse. I had gone home to visit for a couple of days, so her old pediatric group had me bring her in when her fever spiked again. The doctor who saw us was not our original pediatrician, but she had seen our kids a couple of times in the past. After being in the room for less 5 minutes she was able to determine (without my telling her) that my daughter was not acting like her normal self, so she ordered more labs to test for a larger range of possible infections due to the abnormal readings from the initial testing. That doctor called me at 9pm on a Friday night(as soon as the lab sent her the results)to give me the results. The CBC results were even more abnormal. Due to the types of cells that were abnormal in number, she called a pathologist and had him look at the sample of blood to rule out the possibility of cancer. She said she didn't think it was cancer, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Luckily that all turned out well. By the time the follow up visit came around my daughhter seemed to be on the mend, but since she was not completely better the nurse practitioner ordered more tests. During the 3rd week following the initial visit my daughter started getting worse again and was running a fever between 103-104 again. This time my husband brought her in and she was seen by Dr. Roesler. Another strep test was performed and came back positive again. This was twice within 3 weeks. he told my husband it was nothing to worry about and that she probably just caught it again. When my husband brought up the length of illness and abnormal labs he said he was not aware of this (though all of it was in her chart from the last visits) and that he still was not concerned because her throat was a little pink but nothing else looked wrong. That afternoon I called an ENT to make an appointment even though this pediatrician said she was just fine. Since it was Friday, they couldn't get me in until Monday morning. The ENT took one look at her throat and said she should have been referred to an ENT when this all started. Not only were her tonsils 3 times the size they should have been, but the tissue was dying. Unfortunately since we were not referred by our pediatrician the ENT had to wait until she caught strep again, which he guessed would happen within a couple of weeks after the antibiotics ended. He was right. Two weeks later he was telling us that she needed to have surgery to remove the tonsils and adnoids and to cauterize the turbinates because they were blocking most of her nasal passage. While waiting to be able to get the infection supressed enough to have the surgery, we had to bring our youngest in for her 18 month check up. My oldest told him that she was about to go to her doctor so we told him about what had happened since then. He smiled and laughed after I told him that she was going to have to have surgery. When I told him that I was not happy with the treatment we had received and the fact that they had missed the enlarged tonsils with dying tissue, he laughed again and didn't say a single word. He just hurried up through the wellness exam and then left the room. We have not been back to him since then. The day we went into the ENT's office to talk about scheduling the surgery, we were given the name and number of a different pediatrician. The ENT informed us after the surgery that if we had not gotten the issue taken care of when we did my daughter's upper airway (the nasal passage and the area behind it) would probably have closed off since she already had a 75% blockage where her adnoids were. Her tonsils were found to be approx 5 times the size they were supposed to be with dying/rotting tissue throughout. If left untreated not only could the increasing size cause an airway obstruction, the recurrent infection would have eventually spread to her blood. We may not be doctors, but we know what the end result of that could have been. We now have a different doctor for our kids who understands that when it comes to my children I do not think there is a such thing as expecting too much from their doctor. I am pretty sure that if Dr Roesler's children were sick he would want to make sure that they received the best treatment possible and would be a bit upset if they received the level of treatment that our child received from his office.

August 23rd, 2010
Great experience!
Clean office. Courteous staff. Dr. Roesler is great with my child, and is very thorough. I would recommend him to all my friends.

May 6th, 2010
after 2 years and 2 kids
I think he does fine for kids with no problems. when I first started taking my kids to him I was really impressed although I did not care for the staff. His personal nurse is great though. He does not spend any extra time, even when requested. I had to basically "force" him to listen to me about worries with one child. He kept wanting to take the easy way out. finally had to be real persistant and "force" him to refer us to a specialist. basically he does not listen, rushes through things, no advice or knowledge for "outside the norm". staff is HORRIBLE: rude, no explanations, no help,inconsistant, wait is way to long (once I waite 2 hrs for a shot)and they will flat out ignore you when you try to talk. The only reason they have as good of a review as they do is because when I bring my oldest in (very little problems)everything goes real well except for wait time.I honestly do not know why this office is considered one of the best.Oh, on a good note, the entire place always seems exceptionally clean and bright.

March 5th, 2010
I think Dr. Roesler is a wonderful doctor. His staff leaves a little to be desired, but has always been very thorough and easy to work with.

January 27th, 2010
Pushes Drugs! For a slight ear infection which I was not even told..he perscribed an antibiotic which is normal but then with this two steriods and breathing treatment?? What in the world!!! I was given no information as to why and sent out the door like this is just the norm. He might be a good doctor or maybe he had a off day but I will Never go to him again!!Not only did the Dr. Roesler not communicate but the staff didn't either. It was like I was suppose to know everything already!Beaunomt Pediatric Center was recommended to me by a prexisting patient. So maybe at one time they had to gether but they do not today.