inactive

Naveen D Bhandarkar MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

4.9

February 16th, 2015
Great Doctor and Office Staff
The doctor was extremely thorough and attentive. He answered every question and explained all the tests and findings to my satisfaction. I was very pleased with my experience at this office.

January 9th, 2015
Highly Skilled Sinus Specialist
I can't say enough amazing things about Dr. Bhandarkar. After seeing various others ENTs during the previous 6 months I came to see Dr. Bhandarkar in mid 2014 with a bad case of chronic sinusitis. Dr. Bhandarkar spent so much quality time explaining my condition and going over the sinus surgery that was deemed necessary to improve my condition. Fast forward a few months, the surgery was a resounding success. I am 6 months post-op and completely in the clear. It should also be noted that this was not my first sinus surgery. I'm not a doctor but revision sinus surgeries carry higher risks than initial procedures due to the potential for damage to the eyes and brain arising from scar tissue and prior surgeries. Dr. Bhandarkar did a masterful job on my revision sinus surgery, and I could not be happier with the results. Most importantly I can breathe again which is truly an amazing feeling. Dr. Bhandarkar a true sinus specialist, and I would highly recommend him to anyone suffering from sinus problems.

December 20th, 2014
One Patients Experience with Dr. Naveen Bhandarkar and PRW's (Physician Review Websites)
I read numerous reviews about Dr. Naveen Bhandarkar and other ear, nose and throat surgeons at various web sites including healthgrades.com, rateMDs.com, doctor.com etc. before I scheduled my first appointment. Additionally, I found an article that addresses the real validity of (PRW's, Physician Review Websites) and how limited data (3-4 patients) can often skew a particular doctors ratings unfairly and erroneously. Don't reach conclusions before digging a little bit further into how the data was gathered and analyzed for a web site. Having said all this, my experience with Dr. Bhandarkar may not be what yours was or will be and the only way you can really know is schedule visits with at least three ENT's, do your research before, have your questions ready, take notes and then make your decision based on the particular physicians biography, experience, number of times he has performed a particular procedure and finally your own gut feeling on whether this is the guy you want to operate on you. I recommend Dr. Bhandarkar without reservation as my results are amazing so far. Five weeks after the procedure that included a re-section (reduction) of the middle turbinate (Meatus) to allow for efficient sinus drainage and removal of polyps that had built up over the years. The polyps created a chronic sinus infection due to lack of dry air circulating through the nasal passages.. Now I am experiencing better sleep, better speech (not nasal), sense of smell returned, food tastes wonderful. Stents were placed on both sides of my nose to prevent crusting of the areas that were bleeding for about a week after surgery. Directions were specific from Dr. Bhandarkar regarding irrigation of the sinuses with a saline solution at least three times a day to prevent crusting and allow the exposed mucus membranes to heal from the inside without scabbing up and creating adhesions. Follow the doctors orders with this one guys/girls. Rinsing the sinuses with saline is one of the most important things you can do to assist in the healing process and prevent infection post operative. Be religious about it. If you are not diligent you will not obtain the results you desire. Be a good patient and follow directions. I still irrigate three to four times a day because I never want to return to where I was; miserable, no sense of smell, constantly clearing my sinuses, sleep apnea, spitting up dark yellow mucus daily from chronic sinusitis. Before the operation I was hoping to possibly regain my sense of smell that I had lost 10 years before. Only when I would take steroids pre op to shrink the swelling would I get maybe one or two days when I could actually catch a whiff of food being cooked. I could not smell anything including gasoline due to my olfactory lobes being covered with mucous due to infection in the sinus cavities. Now for the first time in ten years I have regained my sense of smell. I feel like I have inherited super powers but in reality I have just returned to normal but it would not have been possible without a skilled surgeons intervention; Dr. Naveen Bhandarkar. I was prescribed Vicodin for post operative pain but it wasn't necessary. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was maybe a 2 for the first day. I took a week off of work but later found out I could have returned by day 3. 8 days after surgery my post op appointment included removal of the stents, some numbing and irrigation to enable Dr. Bhandarkar to evaluate the healing process and very sincere encouragement to continue with my daily irrigation. About 3 days after that my sense of smell returned right before Thanksgiving. Unbelievable, what a blessing. To smell all of the wonderful smells. I am so thankful. This is a little gross so you have been warned. During post op you will be spitting out blood yellow mucous and sometimes scabs that are trying to form as a result of incisions made during the procedure. The blood decreased after 3 to 5 days but I was continuing to excrete yellow mucous that indicated continuing infection. After I started treating with the compound steroid, antibiotic, saline solution the yellow mucous disappeared around three weeks out. For the last two weeks there is no color when I spit out excess from my irrigation compound and my sinuses remain dry and healthy. Three weeks after surgery during my second post op visit Dr. Bhandarkar recommended we move to a "combination" topical steroid, antibiotic, saline rinse using a 120 ml bottle and rinsing at least 3 times a day. Turned out the "compound mix" was not covered by the insurance carrier and cost $180 for two months worth of capsules but I went forward with that, paid out of my pocket and am so glad I did. Back to irrigation one last comment. The directions tell you that you can irrigate one side of your nose while leaning over the sink and wait until it gets to the other side indicating a thorough exposure however I have found what I think is a better way. Kneel down on the floor, pump the saline compound solution into both nostrils and move your chin as close to your chest as possible. Then inhale the solution through your nose while further tilting your head to the left and right, ten times on each side. This method allows the solution to get high into the front and back of the sinuses where the polyps were and guarantees optimum saturation of the compound into the upper sinuses. After this stand up and blow your nose into the sink to alleviate any residual solution. If we are going to do this, lets do it right. Now five weeks after surgery, only clear mucous indicating the irrigation solution and methodology are working. In conclusion my experience with Dr. Bhandarkar has been wonderful. He has a good bedside manner and takes however much time you need with him before he moves to his next patient. So many times I/you the patient feel rushed but not with this doctor. He has empathy, knowledge, experience and excellent surgical technique as far as I can tell. I recommend Dr. Bhandarkar without reservation.

May 17th, 2012
Superb surgeon. Technically very skilled, attentive and kind.

December 6th, 2011
Best SINUS specialist in the whole entire world!
I am 30 year old severe chronic sinus patient. This is my second revision endoscopic sinus surgery in past three months, first was done in India and i ...