Orthopedic Surgeons

Potomac Vly. Orth Assocs
3414 Olandwood Ct
Olney, MD 20832
301-774-0500
Locations and availability (2)

• Currently 3.1372549019608 of 4 stars
Aug 7th, 2014

Dr. Sethi and his team were great. He explained everything very clearly in simple terms with models and my neck surgery went great. He did it using a very small incision and I was done as an outpatient. I have already recommended him to my friends and colleagues. Thank you Dr. Sethi!

by Alan M. on Mar 4th, 2014

After three months of unbearable pain in my right arm from a pinched nerve, and four months since the car crash, Dr. Sethi accomplished in a few hours an amazing feat of medical mastery. He removed two damaged discs and relieved all the pain and even the tingling I felt in my right hand. He told my wife after the operation that I "lost about a teaspoon of blood" during the operation. Thank God my orthopedic doctor at Potomac Valley, Dr. Charles Mess, Jr, and my internist Dr. Poblete both recommended him. If you don't have complete confidence in your surgeon before the operation starts, you should keep looking.

Jan 29th, 2014

This Doctor isn't compasionate at all. Very Rude. Does not explain anything. He just stared at the Patient. At first tell you, You need a surgery to get your money. Then He just Dont even visit you at the hospital. He send another Person, God knows who, to just go to your room and run away when you asked questions after that severe pain. After The surgery, Dr. Sethy does not like complaints. He expect you to be a 100 % perfect like the Football player " Peyton Manning". If you are not a 100%, He say He doesn't know what you have.

|  Fantastic Experiences  |  show details
by SRC on Jan 15th, 2014

Dr. Sethi has been patient and started from least invasive to surgical treatments as appropriate. At the same time, he calls it as he sees it and has a great knowledge in his field. Some may find it abrupt, I appreciate he doesn't waste time with it may be this, it may be that. Since he performed a spinal fusion on me I have never again had sciatic nerve pain (the issue was connected). I am going round three with him for a totally different problem and am so grateful he has a handle on it. Their record keeping is stellar and he is able to show me comparisons of xrays over several years time so I can see it. He uses lots of models and posters to explain things clearly from the very first appt. I love that the xrays can be taken right there too.

|  What are these people talking about???  |  show details
by Debbie D on Dec 18th, 2013

I don't understand the reviews I read below. Dr. Sethi was great during all 3 of my appointments. Very professional and informative. He is going to do my surgery next month and I can't wait to get rid of this pain!

|  Never Again  |  show details
Dec 10th, 2013

Rude, pompous jacka$$! Didn't show any empathy. Very rushed. Didn't listen. Jumped to conclusions. My case must not be interesting or lucrative enough for him.

|  Bad experience, Rude, abrupt.  |  show details
by Joneses on Nov 12th, 2013

Dr. Sethi was rude and hard to communicate with. He seemed to only want to screen us for a situation that would qualify for surgery. Once he determined we were not a good surgery candidate he lost all interest. He only looked at our MRI scan. I had to insist he read and respond to the radiologist report. After he abruptly left we had to rely on staff associates to answer our questions. We would never go back to Dr. Sethi nor recommend him to any one. He maybe a good surgeon but if he does not gain my trust in the office he will never operate on me or my family.

by Cynthia Dorsey on Oct 13th, 2013

I had suffered from Spondylolisthesis and Stenosis for four years, and it was a challenging condition. The pain affected my buttocks area with pain shooting down my legs. The pain was so intense that I had to walk bent over because I could not stand up straight. It hurt very badly, As time went one and my condition worsened, I couldn't walk long distances. I couldn't stand for long periods of time, couldn't enjoy my grandchildren, and had to sit everywhere I went so I didn't go many places. My activities were limited. I was so afraid to have surgery. My mind was made up that I was not going to have surgery at all. I didn't think there was a doctor on this earth that could fix my back and relieve my pain until one day I met Dr. Navinder S. Sethi. I put my faith and trust in him and knew there was something special about Dr. Sethi. I set my surgery date for March 19, 2012. It has been a year since Dr. Sethi performed surgery and I'm still pain free. I'm practically running now. It's a blessing and I feel great. I was right, there was something special about Dr. Sethi, he has gifted hands. Dr. Sethi, thank you so much. I'm pain free and have great posture. Thank you Dr. Sethi, there will always be a special place for you in my heart. - Thank you, Cythia Dorsey

|  Horrible experience with rude uncaring doctor  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2013

Seeing Dr. Sethi was a complete waste of time, as he answered most of my questions with "I don't know" or a shrug of the shoulders. When I asked him specific questions about a report he had ordered, he became angry and left the room. I didn't realize he had no intention of coming back until I was given a copy of my x-rays by an assistant. I asked that he return, and when he did, he stated that he would not go over the results of the report he had ordered with me as that was not his specialty. I simply wanted to understand what it meant. He was rude and dismissive and had no interest is helping me understand my health problem. I would never see this doctor again and only wish that I had seen these reviews before I too was traumatized by his unprofessional manner and complete disregard for me as his patient.

|  Worst Experience with a Doctor in a long time  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2013

I was having lower back pain due to a fall and went to see Dr. Sethi in June, 2013. I have been a patient of Potomac Valley Orthopedics for years and have seen other doctors in the practice (my entire family has,too). I waited for well over an hour. Dr. Sethi took an X-ray and told me not to worry about an MRI but just to rest (even though I told him I had been in significant pain for months). He spent maybe 15 minutes and didn't seem interested in hearing the symptoms. I had an MRI done by another physician which showed a herniated disk lying on the nerve root. When I called the office to leave a message for Dr. Sethi, I was told that he would not be able to get back to me for a minimum of 2 weeks. I scheduled an injection with another doc and then called to discuss whether I would need surgery. The office called and said they had received my fax and would have Dr. Sethi return the call but he never did. My father is a surgeon and sits on the ethics board of a prestigious hospital in Virginia. That being said, diagnosis first. Dr. Sethi didn't diagnosis my problem correctly, didn't communicate after phone calls and faxes and didn't seem to care. His credentials are stellar BUT maybe is his overworked and can't devote the time anymore. Fortunately, it does not appear that I will need surgery but if I did, I would not use him.

Jul 10th, 2013

I am so glad to have seen him. I saw a few other specialists and none were able to cure my pain but Dr. Sethi did one injection and my pain went away! So relieved. I have never ever written a review before but am so ecstatic now I just had to!

|  Patient  |  show details
Jul 9th, 2013

My experience with Navinder Sethi was the the worst I have ever had with any physician. After an hour in the exam room, I asked one of the staff who was lingering outside my door with apparently nothing to do, how much longer it would be. Sethi was actually there (it was my first visit), but said nothing to me. No apology for keeping me waiting, no acknowledgement that he was the physician, not contact at all. A moment later he came in to the room and I asked him why it was that an appointment had been made for 2:15 and yet I had not been seen by him an hour later. He immediately became angry and said that if I was going to complain then he wouldn't see me--I don't remember the exact words. He made a large cross on the paper he had on his clipboard and said he wasn't going to see me but that he could recommend someone else and that I would get my co-pay back. I said that I had been waiting an hour, and he repeated that he wouldn't see me. He had kept the door open so that everyone else could hear. I was angry, shocked and humiliated. As I was walking away I turned and said, "f you." His response, "Yeah? When?" I told him he was disgusting and that he would be hearing from me. Obviously I wasn't going to stay around to wait for a referral or my co-pay. I shouldn't have said what I did. His response was completely unprofessional, and shocking, As a physician, he is required by the Hippocratic oath to care for patients. Instead, he verbally abused me. He should be ashamed of this behavior and I hope that action will be taken so that this doesn't happen with other patients.

Jun 29th, 2013

Dr. Sethi seemed completely disinterested in my symptoms. When questioned he continuously responded, "I don't know" which was frustrating. I had already been waiting 45 minutes before I saw him and then to have such a coldhearted and uncaring reaction to the pain I've been in put me in tears as I was leaving. I would never go see him again. He has absolutely no compassion for his patients.

Jun 13th, 2013

Excellent surgeon. I woke up and all my neck and arm pain was gone. Very excited!!!

|  Really knows his stuff  |  show details
by Dianne G on Feb 5th, 2013

Dr. Sethi is a true expert on neck issues. I am now 2 weeks after neck surgery, and my progress so far has been remarkable. Dr. Sethi is a real professional, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone who was having problems with his/her neck or spine.

Jun 29th, 2012

Based on the recommendation of a friend, I went and saw Dr. Sethi as a second opinion. I am glad I did. My previous surgeon recommended surgery and Dr. Sethi was able to take care of all of my pain just with an injection. Can't say enough good things about him.

|  Dr. Navinder Sethi  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2012

He seemed to not care. He seemed not thorough or concerned. The office staff were good , the Physicians assistant seemed to care. Dr. did not care about the issues or complaints of patient.

|  Had calus deposit on foot (6 months back)  |  show details
Apr 19th, 2012

Dr Sethi took good time and all went well

Oct 27th, 2011

Dr. Sethi is male. He is a wonderful doctor

Aug 4th, 2011

I was apprehensive about meeting any spine specialist given my neck issues but Dr. Sethi and his staff put me at ease right away. Dr. Sethi's way of explaining my problem made perfect sense to me even though I am not in the medical field. I headed into my appointment thinking I needed surgery based on talking with friends and colleagues but luckily the medication that Dr. Sethi prescribed worked wonders. Would highly recommend him.

|  Dr. Sethi  |  show details
Jul 15th, 2011

Dr. Sethi was dismissive and rude. He seemed very uncomfortable when asked questions and he was not prepared to discuss my problem. He had not reviewed test results. He had no ability to think outside the box and had someone write a prescription incorrectly. He was lacking in compassion and I will not see him again.

|  Likeable Doctor  |  show details
Jul 9th, 2011

I had what would be considered a minor medical issue, but I'm the kind of person who has a lot of questions, and he was thorough in his responses. And in addition to being informative, he was likeable and funny. He even asked me if I understood everything when I was on my way out and expressed well wishes. I know someone who has had less than ideal experiences with other doctors at Potomac Valley in Columbia, and I recommended to her that she ask for Dr. Sethi in the future.

Jul 6th, 2011

Dr Sethi was rude and difficult to talk to. He is of the opinion that "he is the doctor and he knows best". Visibly angered when questioned. Totally discounted my pain but at the same time recommends surgery. Two other MD's opinions did not recommend surgery. I do not know about his technical skills (although his diagnostic skills are lacking) but I would not let someone with such a lack of compassion and bedside manner operate on me.

Jun 16th, 2011

Dr. Sethi is a fantastic doctor. My neck surgery went very well and now I am able to do everything like I used to. Can't say enough great things about him. Top notch!!!

Mar 23rd, 2011

Excellent doctor. Explained everything in detail to me and I felt very comfortable heading into my spine surgery. Everything went well and now I am back to work and pain free.

Mar 1st, 2011

Dr. Sethi was very honest with me and told me that I did not need surgery like another doctor had recommended. I trust him which is hard to find in a surgeon and now I send my whole family to him.

Feb 1st, 2011

I visited a few spine surgeons before seeing Dr. Sethi and got his name through a friend of mine who had surgery done by him and is doing great. I am glad I saw him and had my surgery for my low back done by him. All of the pain that I had prior to surgery is gone and I feel a whole lot younger. The staff at Montgomery General is excellent. Now I realize why Dr. Sethi is rated as one of the 50 best spine specialists in America.

Jan 3rd, 2011

De Sethi has no bedside manner. Did not help me with my problem and told me it was very minor and only looked at a MRI and not an X-ray. It is still a problem that I am having with my back and will not go back to him.

Dec 29th, 2010

I had neck surgery done by Dr. Sethi and everything went very well. My pain went away and he and his staff took great care of me.

|  A spine  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2010

I have never felt so much like just a spine. Dr. Sethi was abrupt, uncaring, spent little to no time with me, was uninterested in my concerns, and clearly preferred I just shut up and go away once my spinal repair was complete. Follow-up interest? Zero to negative. Even the staff at Montgomery General (completely terrific, by the way) were openly appalled at his attitude.

|  Technically good, but...  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2010

I have heard Dr. Sethi is a very good technician, and my surgery went well and the staff & facilities at the specialized unit for spinal patients at Montgomery General were terrific. Dr. Sethi, however, prefers unconcious patients. He has no tolerance for concerns, help with follow-up, family and living considerations or other quality-of-life factors after surgery. His Physician Assistants are left to handle that end, and they have limited authority. If you want any interest in any part of you except your actual orthopedic repair, go elsewhere.

Jun 11th, 2010

Barely looked at my charts or looked me in the eye, didn't seem to even want to discuss or treat the problem.

|  Retired Government Employee  |  show details
by Nena Phillips on Apr 19th, 2010

Dr. Sethi took excellent care of me during surgery and afterwards. I recommend him highly.

|  Spine surgery  |  show details
Sep 16th, 2009

Had spine surgery (neck) and had complete relief of pain from the time I woke up in the recovery room. Would highly recommend.

|  neck surgery  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2009

He is very pleasent Dr. althought I have had nothing but problems since I had neck surgery, I have had several and it still is not corrected, nothing but constant pain and he doesn't have an answer for me. Very Frustrated!!!