Obstetrician & Gynecologist, Urologist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Bad experience  |  show details
Mar 11th, 2014

TVT Sling Surgery for SUI left me with chronic pain. I diagnosed myself with ilioinguinal nerve entrapment after suffering for months after surgery. I never saw Dr Kohli in the recovery room after my surgery. The written report of the surgery was inaccurate. I Did not get helpful feedback from doctor. Office visits in three different locations were stressful and confusing. I was mixed up with another patient during one visit. I was told the doctor was not in on a day I had scheduled to see him another time. I was made to feel that I was imagining the pain. I had a CAT scan to pinpoint the pain with no results. I have had two sessions of physical therapy to try to alleviate the pain in the left groin area. It finally went away after a recent hysterectomy. Now I am told that the area around the mesh is calcifying. Since my surgery in 2009 I have read about the lawsuits against these artificial mesh manufacturers. I would recommend caution when dealing with this surgery.

|  Phone does NOT get answered  |  show details
Oct 9th, 2013

Calling the office sends you into a phone tree, "If you are a patient and need to speak to someone urgently, please dial 0". Nobody answers. And after another 5 rings, you can leave a message. The DAY after the operation, called & left an urgent message about an issue. NOTHING. Two days post-op, after leaving another message, I called the hospital. The nurse on staff told me that even THEY had problems getting through. He's very friendly & well respected (and has an OSCAR???), but I don't understand why he skimped on this part of his service. Very disappointing.

Oct 8th, 2013

He has very good expertise in his field and has a great bedside manner.

Oct 2nd, 2012

Quite simply, Dr. Kohli gave me my life back. Suffering from IC for a year before I finally found him, I could barely leave my home. Within a few weeks, I was pain-free, frequency-free and am now living a normal life. Love Dr. Kohli.

|  The best and the brightest  |  show details
Jun 27th, 2012

Dr. Kohli is a brilliant and talented surgeon who is blessed with a kind bedside manner. His work is renowned and he is in great demand as a urogynecologist in the Boston area. In addition, he is devoted to his patients and maintains a wonderful, caring, professional staff.

|  This Dr. treated me like a number  |  show details
Jun 12th, 2012

I had gotten my [very heavy] period prior to my first appointment. Called the office to reschedule and the receptionist told me "not to worry". I kept the appointment eager to find out about what would be done for my upcoming operation.I met with the Dr. who told me he would have to check me. I explained I didn't think I would be checked since I had my period. He spoke down to me saying "you and pull the tampon out while I check you, then put it back in". I told him no. I had called the office and the receptionist told me not to worry. He proceeded to tell me that it was because it "takes a long time to get an appointment with him". When it was clear I didn't want to be checked that day he threw the papers that I completed for him back at me and told me to bring them in next time I came in. He also had a student, which made me uncomfortable. Anyway, rather than explain the procedure I as scheduled for, it felt like all he wanted to do was use me to teach his student and not waste his time. I will never go back to him.

|  Dr. Neeraj Kohli is a rate bred of doctor in today's world  |  show details
May 5th, 2012

Dr. Kohli is an amazing doctor who both cares deeply about his patients and does great surgical work. He also has an amazing associate helping him when he is not available. I strongly recommend him and his practice! I also am very grateful to have been referred to him. I mean really what doctor takes the time to call you at home not once but twice to check on you, they don't make to many caring men like thi anymore!

|  One Happy Patient  |  show details
Apr 10th, 2012

I was very happy with the ease of making appointments and with Dr. Kohli's skill and know how. I had bladder surgery and I am very happy with the results I would not hesitate referring people to his office.

|  The worst doctor I've seen in many years  |  show details
Apr 8th, 2012

Don't trust Dr. Kohli....he lied to me and won't accept the fact that the work he did, failed...I have continuing health problems because of him....

|  BEWARE this Doctor  |  show details
Mar 6th, 2012

This doctor is all about making money. I went in to see Dr Kholi in hopes that he could do a procedure that would remove my stress incontinence and after he examined me, he quickly jumped in and suggested that while he was doing that procedure, he noticed I had uteral prolapse and rectal prolapse and he could take care of them all at once. I have since seen another Dr from Boston Urogynecologists Associates and she said I didn't have any more prolapse than most other women in their 40s and it didn't need treatment. I felt that Dr. Kholi spoke to me as if he were a car salesman who was trying to talk me into the added sunroof and tinted windows.

Doctor's Response

We evaluate, counsel, and manage each patient individually. After a comprhensive exam and appropriate testing, we review the diagnosis and exam findings as well as treatment options which always include no treatment, conservative therapies, and surgery, if appropriate. We never "push" patients in one direction as my job is to educate and advise. If a patient considering surgery for stress incontinence also has prolapse (and 30% do), we offer to correct it at the same time if the patient desires rather than letting it get worse and needing another surgery down the road. Again, it is always the patients decision and we have the utmost respect for each patient's autonomy in decision making. They can pick and choose which procedures when recommended they would like done based on their symptoms and how much it bothers them. We also encourage all patients to go home and think about out recommendations even when some say they are ready to schedule surgery on the first visit. We are always available to address questions and concerns. I am sorry this patient heard something other than that.

Jan 31st, 2012

After seeing another URO GYN, I was highly impressed with Dr. Kohli. He took me on time; talked to me first; examined me and then we talked again. He explained things in much more detail, in one visit than the other doctor I had seen for 15 months! I would certainly recommend him. I had to wait an hour an a half for the other URO GYN; Dr. Kohli took me immediately. He feels that my time is as valuable to me as his is to him! What doctor feels that way? His staff was polite and great! He had great reviews by a friend and also my GYN!

|  Dr. Kohli helped me get back to my life!  |  show details
Dec 18th, 2011

I first met with Dr. Kohli in April 2010. After a surgery at another hospital, 10 months earlier. I had been suffering unbearable pain and my PT referred me to Dr. Kohli. After examining me Dr. Kohli concluded that I needed to see his pain management team before we could really discuss surgery. I met with them the following day and Within a week my pain was reduced greatly with medication.I am still seeing Dr. Kohli with a view to having another surgery... After my first experience with surgery, I have been reluctant to go that route again. Dr. Kohli has been very patient in explaining how he thinks he can help me, and I am at a stage where I do believe I shall go ahead... I feel I owe it to myself. I have no doubt that I am with the right Doctor, if anyone can help me he can. I will say... that pain is exhausting and unbelievably frustrating... I saw many Doctors at many hospitals, including John's Hopkins in Baltimore, in an effort to improve my condition. I was having PT which was helping somewhat, and had actually decided to give up... It was my Physical Therapist who convinced me to see just one more doctor... She said that Dr. Kohli was the best, and if she ever needed a procedure she would go to him. I will be forever grateful that she did.

|  Professional  |  show details
Dec 14th, 2011

Dr. Kohli and his staff are without a doubt top notch! I will recommend Dr. Kohli to any friend in need of his medical expertise. His new location is beautiful and without a doubt his patients are his number 1 concern in getting in to see him and making sure you feel comfortable. I have never felt rushed by Dr. Kohli and he and his staff answered each and every question I had without making me feel like I was "holding" them up.

|  Amazing doctor!  |  show details
Dec 6th, 2011

I have been seeing Dr Kohli for several years and would not consider going anywhere else. In the medical world, this is who everyone goes to when faced with a urogynecology issue. I typically don't leave feedback, but felt obligated after reading some of the negative comments. Dr. Kohli is kind, knowledgeable, and takes the time to answer questions and eased my fears. I decided to stay with him when he left BWH, because I wanted to continue to have that personal experience and not feel like I was a number, which often happens at bigger, hospital based practices!

|  Made my life worth living  |  show details
Dec 5th, 2011

I suffered for years from a bladder disorder. I changed PCP's and Uro's constantly. I had been diagnosed prior to seeing Dr Kohli, but my symptoms where not being adequately treated. He gave me a list of treatment options, which I explored though trial and error, until I found my current regiment. I tell him what my needs are and he makes sure that I get what I need. I don't understand people talking about him not listening. One of the current treatments I use was reccomended on the IC website. I told him that I wanted to try it, and he made it happen. Now I dont have to plan my trips around bathroom availability.

|  Great experience  |  show details
Aug 10th, 2011

Referred to Dr. kohl for a postop complication if surgery done elsewhere. He carefully reviewed the chart and then examined me. Made the diagnosis quickly and I was scheduled for surgery within 2 weeks since I wanted it done before the end of the summer. My surgery went flawless and I am no longer in pain-wish had found him and him team months earlier! Great doc! Highly recommended!

|  KOHLI MONEY DRIVEN  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

Kohli is only interested in $$$$, He does tests that are not need only for him to over bill insurance and you.This is typical of East Indian docs.His communication skills are non existant and he overbooks appts. STAY AWAY!!!!!

Doctor's Response

This is Dr. Kohli and I feel I need to address some of the comments on the site. The common theme and date of the 2 comments dated July 29 suggest it was most likely the same person. As a subspecialist, I often see complicated patients and testing is very helpful in making the diagnosis and we do perform most of the testing on the initial visit. This is done so that we can implement a treatment plan promptly without having the patient come back for repetitive visits which most offices do in order to maximize reimbursement. I have been practicing urogynecology for 15 years and my experience and expertise has been recognized such that I have had the privilege of being division chief at most of the major Boston Hospital's including Beth Israel, Brigham and Women's, and Tufts. I started my new practice in January 2011 not to make more money but to be able to provide patients with better and more cost-effective care and to spend more time with my family. Since I transitioned into private practice, I have not changed my clinical approach to patients and continue to recommend testing when indicated and appropriate. Again, simple patients are treated by their PCP. Complicated patients are referred to us and often need additional evaluation. In terms of my ethnic background, I am proud of my Indian heritage as it has given me a strong work ethic-all of my training has been at top institutions in the United States as I came to this coutry when I was a young child. I consider myself an American of Indian descent and am saddened at the stereotype painted in some of the responses. Having said this, I take patient input whether it is inaccurate or emotional very seriously and will immediately implement changes based on the patient input on this board. We will offer patients the option of declining testing as long as they are comfortable that we document this in the chart. I would hate to compromise patient care quality due to finances but understand the financial pressures our patients are experiencing in today's economy. I would welcome any and all of my patients to give me constructive feedback how we can continue to improve our services. In the meantime, I will continue to strive to improve customer service to both our patients and referring physicians.

Jul 25th, 2011

Dr. Kohli is extremely knowledgable has been great with educating me with the options available to me. I would recommend him to anyone of my family or friends

|  past pt. with excellent results!  |  show details
Jul 23rd, 2011

I had surgery by Dr Kohli 10 years ago and my results have been excellent!! He was very caring and accurate in his diagnosis. I have just referred a close friend to him.

Jun 7th, 2011

My experience there was good except he did so many tests without discussing whether they were all necesary or how much they cost. When I received a bill for over $3000 that I would be responsible for made me very angry. Unfortunately, it left me with a negative feeling about him. It was his office manager that was horrendous. She told me I would not have to pay the bill, but I was not welcome in there practice anymore. All this because I questioned my bill. Very unprofessional!

Jan 5th, 2009

Saw Dr. Kolhi for urinary incontinence which was left untreated for 5 years-he made the diagnosis quickly and started me on a treatment plan with close followup. I was better within a few weeks and can now vist my grandchildren without wetting the bed. Dr. Kolhi and his staff were wonderful! They gave me back my life! Would recommend them highly.