Neurologist (brain, nervous system), Sleep Medicine Specialist

Midwest Academy Pain & Spine
2333 N Harlem Ave
Chicago, IL 60707
773-836-7246
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

|  Amazing Headache Specialist  |  show details
by Julianne on May 21st, 2014

I've suffered from chronic headaches for over 15 years. I've seen neurologists and headache specialists in 4 states. Dr. Suwan is by far the best I've seen. I travel from Wyoming to Chicago to be treated by her several times a year. She is the only doctor to have given me any kind of relief. She did not throw drugs at my as most neurologists do, and she didn't repeat things I had already tried which had been proven not to work. She also thinks outside the box and NEVER gives up. She's absolutely amazing. She takes as much time with her patients as is needed, never seeming rushed. Between the Botox injections she gives me regularly, and the peripheral nerve stimulator she recommend I have implanted in 2009, my pain has been reduced by 80% and I consider my headaches to be well controlled.

|  Horrible unprofessional, spiteful Dr.  |  show details
May 15th, 2014

Dr. Nesreen Suwan who was performing the injections was very unprofessional. She came into the room asking what I wanted done. I told her I had bought 40 units of botox and would like to inject my crow's feet and the area in between my eyebrows. Without even asking me to frown or even evaluating my facial expressions she insisted this was too much. I have been doing botox for over a year now and anyone who has ever had botox or given botox knows that it takes about 20 units just to immobilize the area in between the eyebrows alone. I had explained to her this was not my first time getting botox and she then left the room. She came back about 15 minutes later with the syringes. I asked to see that bottle that was going to be used for the injections. The Dr. did not like this at all and was most offended...that alone is ridiculous. My entire family is in medicine and any educated person would understand that if you are having something injected into your face, you might like to know what it actually is. (There are many cases where fake botox is injected or a knockoff version. I have asked many other dr.s to see the bottle with no problem let alone attitude.) She then told me to lay down in a rushed manner. AGAIN, she didn't even she my facial expressions or consult me where and how much she was going to inject in what areas. I stopped her and told her the areas I wanted treated. She injected VERY AGGRESSIVELY and has bruised both veins in my temples and between my eyebrows. I am extremely fair, and my skin is literally transparent. She literally shoved the botox into my face rather than delicately easing the product out of the syringe. She injected my veins, did not bother to treat me as a human and was more concerned about my bruising her ego by asking to see the bottle. Horrible Dr. unprofessional and aggressive. I know have dark bruising on the veins in my temples and the veins in between my eyebrows. How is it that Dr. Suwan punctured EVERY SINGLE VEIN? LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE VEIN. Will not ever be going back to this clinic. Anyone getting botox, I advise you to ALWAYS ask to see the bottle prior to injection. It is your right and it is your face for heavens sake. I wasn't even offered an ice pack afterwards to bring down the swelling. Honestly appalling behavior for a physician. Disgraceful. I have gone to so many other Dr.s who have NEVER injected in the veins. EVER. I truly believe this was done purposely out of spite, otherwise this is one uneducated Dr. There are several cases in the news in which people have gone into medical spas for injections and have even ended up paralyzed in the hospital. Some of the cases were even featured on Dr. Oz. Please be careful, to choose an educated and respectable physician for injections. Do not be intimated to ask questions. DO NOT GO TO DR. SUWAN IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR FACE.

|  show details
Feb 15th, 2013

Dr Suwan wants to be able to treat me with injections. The only problem is that the injections (nerve blocks) do not work for me. She will then spend 10-15 minutes explaining to me how serious my back is. I have been dealing with my back for over 40 years and am well educated on how my body works and my personal body mechanics, which is significantly different from normal because of multiple spinal fusions. I have had appointments changed on me, I have had to wait for over an hour for her to come into the exam room, and I have had her dismiss me because I wasn't willing to have more injections. She is about as close to an ambulance chaser that I care to be. Am searching for a new Dr.

|  show details
Nov 23rd, 2012

Dr seemed more interested in my insurance and how I would be paying for the treatment. I understand they must be paid but when you are pain to a patient that is the last thing you want to be drilled about. She was very pushy about lying to my insurance about what and how long my problem had been going on. when she had me write a letter to the insurance company i had not done it right so she had one of her staff rewrite it to what she wanted it to say. Keep in in mind i was there for extreme pain and then forced to go for an MRI facility where she wanted me to go. The office staff was constantly talking about other patients and everything else than my care. I strongly advise anyone to think twice before seeing this doctor.