Dr. Nicholas Szilagye MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 14th, 2015
This is the first time I have ever had a Dr. call me after hours or on a Saturday to let me know what my tests came up with. And I'm 69 years old so have seen enough doctors in my time. I really appreciate the time he spends with each one of us. My husband and my father see him also and the same consideration for them as well. Just a great Doctor. His nursing staff is are great also.

October 29th, 2014
Doctor was good; Meritas, not so much
I had a good experience with Dr. Szilagye my first time seeing him. My purpose in seeing him as a new patient (I had just relocated to Kansas City) was to establish a relationship so that I could continue prescriptions for my current medication. I had a comprehensive exam and all interactions were consistent with what I expected of a PCP.I had follow-up questions so I called the main number and was routed to the doctor's nurse (Jeremy.) I left several messages and never received a return call. I heard that the prectice recently became associated with Meritas. I don't know whether the prectice was more responsive before that or not. I don't understand this lack of service. I receive prompt call-backs from Carpet Corner - like within hours of placing my call. Too bad they don't provide health care (Not kidding.)

September 11th, 2012
Conduct during last visit was unprofessional and probably unethical.

July 20th, 2012
Doesn't Care!
When my husband first went to see Dr. Szilagye he had hope he could help him with a chronic pain issue he had been having for several years. It had recently gotten worse and he was in immense pain. He wasn't eating and wasn't sleeping. We told Dr. Szilagye that we had not been able to find a doctor that was willing to help him and we just wanted to know he was committed to helping us get my husband's pain under control and finding a long term treatment plan for his pain. He prescribed Neurotin for the pain and ha him schedule a bone scan. My husband took it and had a nasty reaction. We called and left several messages and never got a call back from the doctor's office. So the next morning I marched him right into the doctor's office and told them we needed to see him. So we talk to Dr. Szilagye and he says, "Quit taking it." and then proceeded to tell him he didn't want to prescribe anything else for him after the reaction he had to the Neurotin. So I asked him to at least refer him to a pain management clinic if he was unwilling to do anything about it. So he gave him a referral to NKC pain clinic and had a follow up appt set up. It took MULTIPLE calls from both my husband the pain clinic to get his office to forward his medical records. When my husband finally saw them he noticed on his bone scan that he had a bone spur on his spine. Dr. Szilagye never even brought that up! I know my husband went for chest pain, but you think he would have mentioned this?!! So we go to the pain clinic and they give my husband three injections of steroids and lidocane right into his chest. He said they were incredibly painful. The pain management doctor said that it would take 2 days before the steroids would "soak in" and that it may get a little worse before it got better. My husband explained that his pain was already a 6 on the 1 to 10 pain scale, but the doctor said he didn't want to prescribe anything for pain because, "Pills just affect the brain, they don't fix the problem." I asked him what he was supposed to do about the pain in the mean time while we were waiting to see if the steriods would work and he said, "Ice." So after three nights of no sleep, and two days of eating only a roll because he didn't have an appetite, we went home and put ice on his chest. After the Lidocane wore off his pain steadily and significantly increased. We called the pain clinic but they had already closed. So we called Dr. Szilagye's office and talked to the On Call and he said to go to the ER. So off we go to the ER. $1000 later he is finally able to eat (he had lost about 12 lbs over the last week) and sleep the whole night through as the ER Doctor gave him a shot of pain medicine and then sent him home with some to get through the worst of the pain until it calmed down again. The ER Doctor couldn't understand why neither Dr. Szilagye or the pain management doctor gave him anything for pain. He finally slept all the way through the night and ate a full meal. Today was his follow-up appt with Dr. Szilagye. After explaining everything that happened to him Dr. Szilagye suggested he buy a women's sports bra and try wearing that to help his pain. I couldn't believe what I heard. His condition seems to worsen when he is tensed up and squishing his chest into a woman's sports bra doesn't sound like a good solution to me. He then went on to suggest a corset!! My husband's condition is called costochondritis. If you look it up and read anything about it you will see that wearing a freaking corset will not help. He made it very clear that he did not want to help my husband and literally said, "There is nothing else I can do for you." The only reason he could give for not prescribing pain medication is that he felt it wasn't a good long term solution. My husband has been dealing with this for about 10 years but it has gotten siginificantly worse since May of this year. I don't understand why Dr. Szilagye couldn't give him something to at least keep him out of the emergency room when it starts to get really bad and we can continue this regimine of steriod shots to see if that will help keep it under control. But none of that matters he is apparently formed an opinion that is incorrect about my husband and is not willing to help anymore. If you have more than the common cold I would stay away from this doctor.

December 2nd, 2011
This is the doctor you want to see!
Dr. Szilagye is a very kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and caring individual. He is the doctor ALL doctors should aspire to be. I am an RN and as a professional in the healthcare field, I have extremely high expectations of my personal physicians. Dr. Szilagye meets or exceeds every one. He is an excellent diagnostician. I never feel rushed. He is always interested in my perceptions of what is going on with me and treats me with respect. He is a rare and exceptional physician.

September 9th, 2011
A doctor I respect!
Over the many years I have seen Dr. Szilage, I respect him more and more for his intelligence, his integrity, his concern for me and other patients I know he has treated. I appreciate the time he takes with me and the follow-up work he does is commendable. He will personally return many of my calls.

September 6th, 2011
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR. SZILAGYE. HE TAKES TIME AT YOUR APPT. AND THOROUGHLY EXPLAINS ALL DIAGNOSIS,TREATMENTS, AND LAB RESULTS. HIS BEDSIDE MANNER IS VERY CARING AND PROFESSIONAL. THE BEST DR. I HAVE EVER HAD.

August 24th, 2011
HE IS THE MOST WONDERFUL DOCTOR IN KANSAS CITY.HE IS PATIENT, HE LISTENS, EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT AND IS RIGHT ON IN DIAGNOSING.I HOPE HE NEVER RETIRES!!

August 2nd, 2010
Great diagnostician - pulls all the pieces together
Dr. Szilagye is a fantastic doctor. I have been seeing him for my primary care for over 20 years. He is so caring and extremely intelligent. He has taken little bits of information that I have given him and literally changed my life. He listens and hears not only what you say but what you don't say as well - asks the right questions to get the information he needs to treat the real problem and not just the symptoms.