Primary Care Doctor, General Practitioner

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

|  Too big for his britches!  |  show details
by S. Chris Nallie-Courtney on Feb 21st, 2014

I went to see Dr. Nicola Iginio Abate twice because I was having increasing symptoms of hypothyroidism, which runs in my family. Every woman on my mother's side that I know of has had hypothyroidism - all the way back to my grand-maternal, great-grandmother. The most alarming symptom was extreme weight gain - 50 pounds over a year - while dieting and exercising. Even more, I could not lose weight despite training for a marathon! My weight gain exceeded my post-baby weight by about 20 pounds. And I had successfully lost over 50 pounds after my last child. I didn't exercise or diet before, during or after just after pregnancy. So, that weight gain was explainable, but I know how to lose weight. Dr. Abate treated me like a liar and would not listen. I was certainly left alone in my struggle. My case should have been a "no-brainer" with my family history and symptoms. My mother was also seeing Dr. Abate for nodules on her thyroid - she's not anymore! Dr. Abate ignored what I was telling him and wanted to search for other causes. I even took the test he ordered for Cushing's syndrome; though, I didn't even fit the profile for Cushings!!! Nonetheless, he's the Doctor, right? After the test came back showing proper function, ruling out Cushing's, I did internet research and decided to continue testing on my own through www.walkinlab.com. I then went to my general practitioner, who has ALWAYS listened. Dr. Abate saw my test results showing high anti-TPO (thyroid anti-bodies) - my thyroid is attacking itself - and high C-reactive protein - proving there is inflammation in my body. He wanted to wait and see. But I don't want to wait to be treated until I get a goiter like my Aunt, Grandmother and a cousin!!! Why should I? I have symptoms NOW!; regardless of "normal" TSH. My general practitioner, Dr. Amir Salim, after ONE visit, found that I have a vitamin D deficiency and prescribed 50,000 IU of Vitamin D and 50 mcg of Synthroid (because of the anti-TPO) for 3 months. I felt amazing after only two days! I began to remember things, the fog lifted, I sleep better and the swelling started to dissipate. This also allowed me to remember this sorry Doctor's name so that I could write a review on just how unhelpful he is and how angry I am about how he treated me. Also, I went and had a thyroid ultrasound on my own - Abate told me that my thyroid was not "palpable". The ultrasound results show that the left and right lobes have "abnormal parenchyma". "Parenchyma" is defined as the essential and distinctive tissue of an organ or an abnormal growth as distinguished from its supportive framework. I will take these new results to Dr. Salim because I trust him. DO NOT GO AND SEE DR. NICOLA ABATE!!!!!! He appears to want his paycheck and doesn't seem to care about his patients. It was clear that he didn't care about me! To put the cherry on top, UTMB sent me a bill for an additional $35.00 - though I paid in full before my visit and DR. ABATE did NOTHING extraordinary, except to make me feel insignificant. I paid the additional $35.00 so that my credit isn't ruined over this quack. P.S. UTMB overcharged my mother also.