Dr. Nina Tomei MD Patient Reviews

August 7th, 2015
Not a place for new patents or patients that don’t have lots of extra time on their hands.
Let me start off by saying my son is like no other child. He is 4 years old and throws tantrums. Crazy right? What 4 year old throws a tantrum before going to the doctor? He is also smarter than any other 4 year old. He knows when daddy takes off of work to take him to the doctor he’s getting a shot. Why you ask? My wife isn’t strong enough to hold him down while he gets a shot. I’m sure there are other mom’s out there that can relate. My daughter has been there before, but this was my son’s first visit. Our appointment was for 12:00PM. We arrived at 12:09. Upon arrival all 3 secretaries were helping other customers. I see this nurse come out and disrupt each of the receptionists to alert them of a child coming in. I tried to ease drop as I thought it was quite rude. I know 2 wrongs don’t make a right, but really? They are all helping people and you stop each to whisper in front of all your clients. Really! Once it was my turn to step forward and hand over my insurance card. She reads the name to herself and runs to the other room. At this point I knew the whispering was about us. She comes back and says that Dr. Nina A. Tomei, MD needs to reschedule because you are late. I said really? I’m 9 minutes late and surely you can see all the tears in my son’s face. He’s a child. I’m sorry, but he’s 4 years old and it’s not easy getting him to the doctor to get a shot. I said take the appointment time subtract 9 minutes and administer his shot or have someone else do it. Mind you there are several doctors and nurses at this facility. Now the receptionist goes out and comes back with the head nurse. Long and behold our whispering friend appears again. All she could say was that Dr. Nina A. Tomei, MD can’t see us because we were late. That they asked us to come in 15 minutes early for paperwork. My response was again. He’s 4 years old! Why is this so shocking! Why didn’t you offer to email us the paperwork or mail it? If you wanted me 15 minutes early why not make our appointment 15 minutes earlier? I told the head nurse to expect a very bad review as I walked out the door. Not because I wanted Dr. Nina A. Tomei, MD to have a change of heart and see my son, because obviously I have no intentions in bringing my son or daughter there ever again. It was in hopes of making them realize if you are in the business of treating children you need to understand they are children. Compassion is needed to be in pediatrics. You also need to know tantrums do occur and that children don’t like getting shots! Hopefully they will think twice before doing this to another child or family. My daughter is a special needs child and Dr. Nina A. Tomei, MD came highly recommended by several people that provide in home care for my daughter. I just can’t wait to share my story with each and every one of them. You can be the best doctor in the world, but if it takes several months to get an appointment and get rescheduled for being 9 minutes late. You are no use to my family. We have busy lives too and I hope your lunch was more important to you than the 2 patients that you lost.
Doctor's Response

Dear Mr. Liaskos, I am very sorry we were unable to see your child for his new patient appointment. We reserve enough time to do things right, and do not want to rush through a patient's office visit. When a new patient arrives 25 minutes late, this leaves very little time to obtain an appropriate history, past medical history, family and social history, to review prior medical records, lab results, consults, and do a thorough exam. You were instructed when you made the appointment and reminded by phone to arrive 15 minutes before your appointment so that your child would be ready to be seen by noon, but instead, you arrived even later than your appointment was scheduled. I have missed many lunch hours for patients who do not arrive on time, or have problems that require a longer visit, for parents who just need to talk, for children who are challenging to examine, or for patient emergencies, but on this particular day I was unable to stay late, and as my staff explained to you, we would rather reschedule a patient for a time when we can give them all of our attention. We request all new patients to arrive early so that we can offer them the best care possible. I am sorry I was unable to see your child, and I wish the best for you and your family, Sincerely, Nina A. Tomei, MD

June 23rd, 2015
Best doctor I ever had
When I went to Dr. Tomei, I was greeted warmly and had a very good appointment. Over all she was the best doctor I ever had I highly recommend her .

April 24th, 2015
finally found the pediatrician I was searching for
I have been searching for a pediatrician like Dr. Tomei for a while. I now travel over 1/2 hour to see her, because she is the only doctor who took the time to find out what was really wrong with my child. I found her very nice and approachable, and she knew about many things my prior pediatrician did not. Very pleased with how knowledgeable and thorough she has been, and happy I finally have a doctor who is very caring and nice as well. Just wish her office was closer, but she's worth the trip.

April 18th, 2015
Not a Doctor to take your family to
Dr. Tomei mis diagnosed our daughters condition and outrightly lied to us and backtracked on an earlier diagnosis. When we asked her why when we were having a potential emergency that she had misdiagnosed and she wouldn't call us back in a timely manner she became belligerent and condescending talking down to us.. We have 2 children who have been in her care and going forward Dr. Tomei will never see them again.. She's a lousy doctor with to many patients to properly take care of the children in front of her.. Don't dare use her unless you want to deal with constant problems and no answers.. Oh yeah.. did I say that her bed side manner also sucks? Keep your kids far away from Dr. Tomei and her practice unless you want wrong diagnosis constantly and poor doctoring for you kids.. we are gone...
Doctor's Response

Dear Mrs. Abraham, I am so sorry you felt any distress, but I did not "misdiagnose" your daughter because I did not see your daughter. You were advised to bring her into the office to be evaluated but you did not come in. Our records also show you have been advised many times over the past few months to have your daughter seen, but you did not follow our recommendation. The night you called the after hours emergency line you were instructed to bring your child to the ER but you refused. I called you as soon as I received the page from the after hours nurse and you told me your daughter was asleep and no longer vomiting. We are sorry to see you leave the practice and wish the best for you and your family. Sincerely, Nina A. Tomei, MD

February 5th, 2015
Incompetent
I inherited Dr. Tomei, when another Dr. left, for my young infant. She was new and very ill prepared. She unduly influenced the suffolk county court, unfortunately, in favor of a deadbeat dad, who she assisted in getting full custody, w/o knowing me. She went beyond her calling and was greatly out of line. She allowed the father to 'sell' her a bit of goods. She was ill at ease and unsure of herself, most of the time.

May 24th, 2011
great pediatrician
We're really happy to have found this pediatrician. Very knowledgeable, caring, compassionate. Really takes the time to investigate the cause of your child's problems. Highly recommended.

October 25th, 2010
Very Kind & Knowledgeable
She's a terrific doctor, someone who can actually trust. She will work with you with vaccinations. She also believes in trusting mothers to know their babies which is perhaps the best of all. I always feel at ease around her and I know I can ask her questions and she will really listen and help me out. Highly recommended.

May 17th, 2010
Exceptional doctor
This is the first time I've ever sent in a rating on a doctor, but I have been so impressed with Dr. Tomei that I felt compelled to send in my rating. She is definitely a physician who truly cares about her patients and is very compassionate. She really listens to you and takes the time to really get to the root of a problem. I am so grateful that I had her as my son's doctor because she has been such a resource in handling all his food allergies. I highly recommend her.

May 7th, 2010
Exceptional
I would highly recommend Dr. Tomei without reservation. I'm so grateful that I found a physician who goes above and beyond the norm to get to the source of the problem, instead of just putting a band-aid on the symptom. I wish more doctors were like this. She truely cares about the kids.

May 6th, 2010
one great doctor
This is the best pediatrician we have found. She really cares about her patients, and she has taken the time to search for the cause of my child's problems. I wish I could find a doctor like this for myself.

May 18th, 2009
Best pediatric doctor we've ever used. Knowledgable, caring, respectful. As good as she came recommended, I was worried there would be long waiting times. So far, we've had no issues. I wish I could use her for myself.

January 25th, 2009
Best Pediatrician in the area
This doctor is amazing and the only docto I will trust my baby with.