Dr. Norman Richards II MD Patient Reviews

• Urology Madison, WI

2.3

August 29th, 2014
Bedside Manner?
I guess the question is what does one expect of a doctor? Unlike the service industry, for example, a doctor has something to offer more than service. And with that said, Dr. Richards was efficient, relatively painless and seemed to get the job done. On the other hand, as has been pointed out many times, his bedside manner was atrocious. Does that matter? I don't know, but I went in for a vasectomy, and I was, I think, understandably nervous; however, Dr. Richards did nothing to allay my nerves. Even worse, here is a snippet of conversation with him: "Are you soldering?" "It's cauterizing. Soldering is what you do with electrical wires. An English teacher [I am a HS English teacher] should know the difference." Apparently his version of a bedside manner is to try to make his patients feel stupid. Anyway, I guess the job got done, but if you want to have as reassuring a doctor's visit as is possible--after all, if you're going to a doctor, you're probably going to be nervous in some capacity--Dr. Richards will instead act like an arrogant jerk, which is hardly reassuring. So take it for what it's worth.

October 14th, 2013
He Should Have His Right To Practice Medicine Taken Away
Doctor Richards should have his right to practice medicine taken away. He is haughty, condescending, abrupt and impersonal. He speaks quickly, does not listen and acts as if you are wasting his valuable time. He came into the room, typed his password information into the computer, told me he had reviewed my recent trip to the emergency room and that I was fine. He then received a cell phone call, excused himself and never came back. I was not examined in any way, nor asked if I had any concerns or even if I was feeling better. He spent less than six minutes with me. My urine at the time was bright orange and I later found out that I not only had a bacterial infection, but had Hemolytic Anemia and Splenic Cancer, no thanks to him! DO NOT let anyone you care about go to this man!

March 1st, 2013
I'd rate as a zero but that is not possible.
Wife was seen for all of 6 minutes and the Doctor didn't speak with her as one would expect. Short contact which left wife wondering why this guy is even allowed to practice. Avoid and seek a real caring Doctor. On ratings I wish that no star was possible.

January 28th, 2013
My husband just went through a Lithotripsy procedure under the care of Dr. Richards. He seemed as though he had better things to do than explain our options to deal with my Husband’s kidney stone. As my Husband was about to be put under general anesthetic, Dr. Richards took that opportunity to tell my Husband that his PSA level was at 7.5 and was something that needed to be addressed. This left my Husband’s last thought before going under that he may have cancer. When Dr. Richards visited with me after the procedure, he very hurriedly explained that he did the procedure but there was no way to know if It was successful until the follow-up appointment when another x-ray would be taken and rushed out of the room giving me no opportunity to ask any questions. We have rescheduled all of my Husband’s follow-up appointments with another Urologist.

April 25th, 2012
Very poor
My experience(s) with this doctor have been uniformly bad. Lengthy, lengthy wait time after being called to the exam room (on more than one occasion, I had to get re-dressed and leave after the doctor hadn't appeared for 45+ minutes.) Once he arrives, gives the impression that you are wasting his previous time. If any other choice exists for this specialty, I urge you to use them.

October 30th, 2011
My husband had a prostate biopsy with Dr Richards, and we both attended the 'results' appointment. Despite my making numerous hand motions pointing to my ear and mouthing "He can't hear" Dr Richards continued to speak rapidly in a monotone, as if he was bored delivering a cancer diagnosis. While he did explain several surgical treatment options, he was obvious in putting down all but the one he performed - a very radical procedure. We left his office feeling shell-shocked, with no real assurances or any evidence of compassion.