Dr. Ok Hong Is this you?

3.8

Have you seen Dr. Ok Hong?

Avoid this woman.

Posted on August 19th, 2017

In short: Dr. Hong is the perfect embodiment of what anyone seeking help with their mental health is afraid of—she’s judgmental, dismissive, vague and quick to prescribe invasive medications without telling you what they’re for—she won’t give you a diagnosis, but she’ll sure drug you stupid. The long version: Arrived half an hour early, as requested. Office was empty, no reception to check me in and nobody answering when I called out. Fifteen minutes after my appointment time, Dr. Hong appears out of her office and ushers me in. There, as I’d assume typical for a new patient, she bombarded me with questions. That’s expected. Unfortunately, Dr. Hong seemed to have trouble keeping up with my answers. I.E. scolding me for taking a particular medication for what she deemed was too many years, when the medication in question is an as-needed one I’ve only taken a handful of times. She then, without any flat out indication of a diagnosis given to me, prescribed a long term medication and told me to see her in a month. In an attempt to gain some knowledge of what exactly I’ll be putting into my body, I asked if there were any side effects. None she says. I take Ibuprofen occasionally for migraines and an allergy med daily. I ask if this drug has any negative interactions with others or if there’s any absolute must-nots with this drug. Again, she says no. Personally, I like to have a cocktail at social occasions every now and then. Knowing that alcohol IS on a list of no’s on most meds, I ask about that. She immediately furrows her brow as she excitedly tells me I “absolutely should not drink” under any circumstance. First of all, that’s a negative interaction. It’s one I anticipated. That’s ok. What’s not ok is her shaming tangent about the dangers of drinking, that one should never drink and always “live their best life!” An hour after taking the first dose of my new drug, I’m hit with a splitting migraine. I’m vomiting. I’m dizzy. I’m tired. I’m staring blankly at a wall unable to form a single thought. This lasts for three days. I go to take my Ibuprofen, but on a whim, check the drug sheet from the pharmacy and see there’s severe negative interactions with the two. That’d been helpful to know. The next day, the constant headache subsided to sudden, short surges of jackhammers drilling into my temples. I vomited in my work’s bathroom a little less. Wanting to give the meds a shot, I told myself I was adjusting and going to feel better soon. On the fifth day, I woke up on my bathroom floor after passing out from dizziness for a few moments. The prescription was thrown out on the sixth day. The first two attempts at calling Dr. Hong’s office left me with no answer. When I was able to get someone on the line a few days later, I canceled my next appointment. Today, about two weeks after my first and last appointment, I receive a bill for $330 for a “diagnosis” that I did not receive, with $0 indicated on my insurance portion. I’m lucky enough to have great coverage, and this doctor IS in my network, so that latter detail is quite suspicious. tl;dr - I’m pretty sure Dr. Hong is the Anti-Christ and I’d love to know which dimwit deemed it appropriate to give this hellspawn a medical license.

Genuinely caring doctor

Posted on February 12th, 2016

As is with a lot of psychiatrist, she has very short appointment times which ALWAYS go over so be prepared to wait. This is because, in my opinion, she accepts too many patients. I do think this is because 1) lack of options through insurance 2) because she doesn't want to turn anyone away. HOWEVER, I feel she is a VERY genuinely caring doctor. She helped me get the help I needed after SO long of ignoring my problems. the big thing with psych is that medicine is really only part of it and you NEED a talk therapist in addition. I hope one day the field can accommodate/integrate cognitive behavioral therapy with psychotropics but unfortunately we are not there yet.

Posted on November 29th, 2015

I've been a patient of Dr.Hong for approx. 5 years and have found her to be kind, caring, genuinely concerned and very professional. She prescribes for me the best combination of medications and as a result I live a very improved life and am always able to be present and on-time for my job!

Incompetent doctor

Posted on September 26th, 2015

She was completely incompetent. She recommended medication without reading any test data. He approach is irresponsible. Do not go to this doctor.

Posted on May 7th, 2015

Dr. Hong is compassionate, knowledgable and works with you until she finds a solution. She is the best psychiatrist I have ever had.

Posted on March 26th, 2015

Basic knowledge and basic skills.

find another doctor. do not go here

Posted on January 27th, 2015

honesty this lady couldn't care less about how you feel. instead of trying to help you, she'll tell you something along the lines of "suck it up because that's life." my first visit she prescribed me medicine that lasted me quite a while. when i came back to her for more she acted like i was lying about how i feel and it was beyond rude. she made it seem like i shouldn't be feeling the way i do and that it's not okay. she doesn't believe anything you tell her and she is not comforting at all. i left there feeling very uncomfortable. she is supposed to HELP people who feel a certain way but instead acts like its the worlds biggest chore to see you. not only is she not good at what she does but her staff is rude and takes their sweet time doing things that should be done right away. that building is full of people who could care less about you. please find someone different than Ok Ro Hong because she will not help you let alone even act like she wants to. total waste of money.

We love Dr. Hong

Posted on November 25th, 2014

Dr. Hong has been working with my children for quite a few years now. Over the years, I have heard complaints about Dr. Hong; but I never have experienced what others are saying. She is sweet, caring, generous with her time, has a great sense of humor and does a great job of handling tough situations. Her pharmacology knowledge seems to be current and she always weighs the various factors when prescribing meds. We have had some EXTREMELY challenging situations which Dr. Hong has walked through with us. Personally, I think good psychiatrists are hard to come by. We've stuck with her for probably 8 years and will continue to work with her.

Dangerously inaccurate diagnosis

Posted on September 16th, 2012

Failed to be interested enough or follow up on patient to deal with patient's violent outbursts. HER NEGLIGENCE CAUSED REAL HARM TO OTHERS. WOULD AVOID THIS DOCTOR AT ALL COSTS. OVER 100 COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN FILED AGAINST HER.

Posted on February 27th, 2017