Dr. Oscar Schwartz MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

September 9th, 2016
Nice Office
Dr Schwartz and Jane Holman have treated me for almost 20 years I am very pleased with the entire office staff and the way I was treated. My sleep h ...

February 10th, 2016
Dr. Schwartz has served as my pulmonologist for several years. His habit has always been to listen to me. I have observed him to take careful notes regarding my concerns and my complaints. His diagnoses have proven to be very accurate. Moreover, his office staff is friendly and courteous. Equally important, his location is easily accessible.

January 16th, 2014
Wish I had other reviews before seeing this guy
I would have to concur that this doctor is very defensive and unwilling to discuss things. I went to him after carefully researching what was wrong with me so that I could speak intelligently with him. Instead of this making conversation easy, it seemed to make the conversation more difficult because it usurped his power as "the expert". Some doctors simply don't like informed patients, and I would say he is one of them. I showed him the research studies, and offered my own thoughts in written form. He looked at the info I handed him all of 10 seconds and then handed it back. I told him other information that I knew from other tests performed. I did not bring those test results in written form and because of that, he would not believe the things I told him. In the end I told him what I thought was going on, and he disregarded it as credible. I talked him into doing a sleep study which verified that everything I told him was absolutely correct, as was my own diagnosis. He was uninterested in helping me in any way. My guess is because all he does is sleep apnea and CPAP machines and my problem is not sleep apnea, but I also think it was because his ego could not handle it. My guess is that he has quite a profitable business. There is not much competition in the area, and what he does is not all that complicated. The extent of his practice is testing whether people have sleep apnea and then fitting them with a CPAP machine if they do. It really does not require much knowledge or expertise. He is in the cat bird seat and he can rake in plenty of buck providing this pretty simple service. In practice, he's more of a technologist with an ego than a doctor who helps people with complicated problems. He's certainly not doing anything illegal or immoral. It is just one of the gravy jobs that is existence only because of our license to practice medicine laws. This is what makes it such an easy and likely very profitable business for him. So from a business perspective, he's no dummy - simple work, big bucks. I can't fault him for that. If you know or wonder if you have sleep apnea, he can accomplish the task. If you're looking for real insight, or expertise for unusual problems, I suggest looking elsewhere.

October 30th, 2013
I will never go to this doctor again. I really think theres something seriously wrong with his personality. He was defensive crabby obnoxious an frighteningly he was wrong in his diagnosis. To me he acted like a spoiled teenager mad because you didn't just accept whatever he said and do whatever he said without a single question. The giveaway was when I asked him why he was getting so angry he blurted out that I was the only one who ever had a criticism of him. I thought I doubt it. Now I just looked up the reviews and I see I'm not the only one who experienced the immaturity and Mnet ineptness of dr. Schwartz. I would warn you to find a better doctor for your sleep problems.

September 6th, 2013
Very Satisfied
I have been treated by Dr Schwartz for 5 of the 8 past years (the other 3 years I was treated in another state after a job relocation). I have had great treatment and my apnea is well controlled. The only negative I've experienced is occasional waits during late afternoon appointments, but that can be expected after earlier appointments run long. I frankly was very happy to get back to Dr. Schwartz after being treated elsewhere. My other sleep doctor had tweaked my pressure after a sleep study and despite my belief that they were wrong (my sleep quality significantly declined), they would not adjust them. After getting back to St. Louis and having a comprehensive sleep study, Dr. Schwartz flagged the error and got me back where I needed to be.

August 20th, 2013
Dr. Schwartz has been treating me for Sleep Apnea for almost five years and I am extremely grateful for his excellent care. My experience with Dr. Schwartz , the sleep clinic and the office staff has been exemplary since my first visit. I have never felt rushed during an office visit and Dr. Schwartz is always very pleasant, willing to listen to my questions and comments, and responds in a professional manner. I would highly recommend Dr. Schwartz to anyone.

June 13th, 2013
ph.d..
this is the worst doctor I have ever gone to in my life I am shocked that Barnes would be associated with someone like this he is condescending rude not very well informed extremely defensive and gave me the wrong information I think Barnes should separate themselves from him be warned about this guy

March 9th, 2013
Tried to treat me for something I didn't need!
I went to see Dr. Schwartz for a sleep study. I didn't feel that I had a problem, but my internist wanted me to have one done, so I made an appointment for the sleep study clinic off Mason road (that experience was terrible, but thats another story). When I went to my follow up I had studied up on how to read sleep study results so I had some knowledge of how to interrupt the test results, and thank God I did. I had a perfectly normal study, all my values were in the normal range and Dr. Schwartz kept insisting that I go on CPAP, but I knew that just didn't sound right by the results..I didn't say anything to him at the time thinking I didn't see something.. When I left the office he was almost angry that I didn't agree to CPAP, but I wanted a second opinion.. And sure enough the second doctor I went to agreed that all the values were normal and that I didn't need CPAP at all. If I hadn't done my homework I would be being treated for something I didn't need, it is expensive and also a really uncomfortable treatment. I don't get why he was so angry about me not going on CPAP and getting a second opinion!!!! I just don't understand...so beware of this doctor!

February 7th, 2013
Poor Facility!
I went to Dr. Schwartz for a sleep study, I went to the facility on Mason Rd. I understood the sleep study and I knew it was an uncomfortable test, sleeping with 30 electrodes attached to you and being monitored by cameras and intercoms. However I did not expect the rudeness of the staff. My therapist yelled at me at least 5 times during the night. She never asked me if I had questions, nor did she explain what would occur during the night. I wanted to leave at about 3 in the morning, but didn't want to drive home so late at night. I made it til 6 and I got up, the therapist was angry that I got up so early. I had to fill out a survey in front of her and sign it before I could leave. There are many choices you have when getting a test done. The Sleep Study on Mason rd. was a nightmare, I do not recommend it to anyone. I hope this review saves someone from going through a night like I had. I felt I was being punished for having a sleep disorder!

April 22nd, 2011
Excellent...have post-polio syndrome and multiple sleep disorders. Was not progressing with my pulmonologist at Barnes and was referred to Dr. Schwartz, that was six years ago and I am doing much better and still work full time.

July 12th, 2010
Badly misdiagnosed by Dr. Schwartz
I was badly misdiagnosed by Dr. Schwartz and my actual sleep disorders got worse and worse for months. I finally went to the medical school, had a very thorough evaluation, am on a breathing machine and slowly improving.

January 23rd, 2010
Sleep disorders
After a bad experience with another physician, I highly recomend this doctor.Dr Schwartz is extreemly knowledgable, and accurate in treating my multiple sleep disorders, & under stands complications due to polio.