Dr. Paul Arnold MD Patient Reviews

• Neurological Surgery Kansas City, KS

2.7

May 23rd, 2017
Excellent Physician...Successful Surgery...Great Care!
On Nov 2, 2016 I had lumbar surgery with Dr Arnold. He removed a bulging disc and performed a laminectomy. On my initial appointment with Dr Arnold I was unsure if I should have this procedure, but Dr Arnold professionally noted the benefits and potential pitfalls. His demeanor was direct yet caring. I was prepared and asked specific questions about the procedure and he satisfactorily answered them all. The actual surgery and recovery was outstanding. I had minimal pain and was released after only 3 nights. The skill and expertise that Dr Arnold displayed was exceptional in my case and I am grateful for his skill, professionalism and, of course, my fortunate outcome. I would absolutely recommend Dr Paul Arnold if you are considering surgery. George Holland

May 2nd, 2017
Never ever will I see him again
I have hesitated for almost 5 years, thought I would let it go...I had back pain, diagnosed herniated disc. He had been recommended, highly recommended to me as a great neurosurgeon. I went to see him because of great pain. He suggested 12 phys.therapy sessions, 3 epidural shots and 2 MRIs. All was clear, he had the evidence, I do not think he has ever bothered to look at. After 5 months of enduring pain, he told me that there's noting he can do outside some more phys. therapy he had recommended. Two weeks after I saw another neurosurgeon who told me straight at the very first visit with him: you need surgery fast. My surgery went well. I decided to write this review as again I have pain in my lower back, I have parformed two MRIs, my surgeon advised surgery. I wanted the opinion of another surgeon, but Paul Arnold WILL NOT BE THE ONE. As many here expressed their feelings, I agree he should leave practice, or KU MED should get rid of him because he is truly a PIG

April 3rd, 2017
Great surgeon
Dr Arnold has done 2 surgeries for my wife and the result was awesome.

March 7th, 2017
Stellar results
At 72 and breaking my back in three places after a fall , I thought I'd never recover. He fully explained the procedure and assured me it was a better choice than a back brace since one of my vertebra was blasted. So I had the spinal fusion. With great family support, therapy and follow up x-rays, I'm as good as new with a minimal of lower back pain if I sit too long. My accident was 3/15/2016. On my last visit he was attentive and answered questions ...

November 30th, 2016
Worse experience ever with a doctor. The guy doesn't care about his patients enough to even visit - in my case for 4 days in the hospital following his unsuccessful surgery. During pre and post surgery office visits, he just pops in for 5 minutes or so and then gone - no prior review of reports to him from other docs, etc. To this day don't know why I ever let this guy touch me.

July 28th, 2016
Would not trust this man doing research on dog crap
This man is an arrogant little quack who should be throw out of practice

June 20th, 2016
Very skilled doctor
If you need someone to hold your hand, Dr. Arnold probably isn't for you, but if you want no-nonsense, accurate and skilled treatment from someone who will get straight to the point with you, he can't be beat. After getting the run around from numerous doctors, I was referred to him and he got me in the office, diagnosed and on the operating table in less than two weeks. That was back in 2003, and his work has held up remarkably well.

March 23rd, 2016
The most horrible visit with any Dr. I've ever had. He had no Bedside manner at all. I saw him 2 time's, he had no opinions for me & acted as though I was wasting his time. Said I had 50/50 chance of improvement with surgery. My Husband & I walked out of appointment, & will tell everyone of our experience. KU Med is suppose to be a great hospital, I'm sorry that was not the case with me, he insulted me, told me I was over weight. I am 5ft7 & weigh 155 lbs, Yes I have put on weight since my Back problem. My Family Dr. Told me I was fine at this weight, & within my BMI, Very disappointed with KU & feel that this Dr. Should take lessons on talking to people. You know anyone would take our Money & there is No Way I would ever allow this Man to touch me.

February 12th, 2016
Dr. Arnold did spine surgery on my neck with fusion from C5-C7 I think he is a good doctor he just doesn't talk much but he seems like he cares and he knows what he is doing.

January 26th, 2016
Highly Skilled
I was in miserable neck and lower back pain imaginable for a young mid 50s active gal, this was terrible. My head felt like a bowling ball and I begged my husband to pull and stretch it every night just to get some relief. I spent most of my time lying down. the impingement of the stenosis on the nerves radiating from my spine was affecting my ability to walk. My first impression of Dr. Arnold was that he was exceptional bright. I understand this personality type quite well. They quickly glean thru records, reports all the while appearing not to be listening to you. The result is a bad grade in bedside manners. Following my cervical and lower lumbar lamenectomies w/rods, while I had the usual "recovering pain" I noticed the leg pain was gone, the head weight was gone, the numbness in my hands and arms, gone. I could actually move without feeling the awful twinges of dagger pain! So, YES. This surgeon has amazing skills. I saw the MRIs and read the reports. It was a complicated surgery, and for him to do it all in one day ... I say, thank you Lord for guiding me to this surgeon! If you care about results and feeling like a new person again, then go with this surgeon... then go buy yourself a puppy. hee hee.

September 5th, 2015
Patient who happens to be a lawyer
By far, a pre-eminent neurosurgeon in KC. I would have chosen no other to do my multiple level cervical fusion! I arrived at KU ER and was assigned him . After researching and my surgery, I am convinced he was the best doctor to perform the complex surgery.

June 25th, 2015
Horrible Bedside Manner...Questionable Skill
I was referred to Paul Arnold after 6+ months of a conservative treatment regime for issues related to L5/S1 nerve root damage and a significant L2/L3 disc bulge. This individual was 60 minutes late for two successive appointments, and his staff was wholly unapologetic. I provided Mr Arnold with a meticulous chronology of prior treatment and physician assessments that he either ignored or failed to reference. Moreover, he was given four sets of MRIs that served to document the progression of my diease, and it was quite evident from his deportment in the exam room that he hadn't reviewed any of this technical evidence in any meaningful manner. This man spent less than 3 minutes reviewing my MRI results and approximately 2 minutes discussing the case in my presence. He's either remarkable preescient or disguising incompetence. I found this man to be offputting and unprofessional in the extreme. I cancelled my follow-on appointments with Arnold out of sheer fear of the potential outcomes...and I'm a combat veteran. And Paul, for what it might be worth...I'm currently seeing one of your peers. This physician actually took the time to physically show and explain my MRI results, and he then explain my symptoms and discussed a treatment strategy. Remarkable...but maybe it shouldn't be.