Dr. Paul Carpenter Is this you?

1.7

Dissatisfied

Have you seen Dr. Paul Carpenter?

Would not recommend this M.D.

Posted on August 15th, 2012

I initially took my appointment with Dr. Carpenter because he had a cancelation at mayo clinic which allowed me to get in within a week as apposed to 3 months out. The first appointment I new nothing about this doctor; typically I do quite a bit of research on a physician before I am will to seek their services unfortunately with this guy I did not. Here is some back round on myself, I have been fighting a chronic health issue that has put a tremendous amount of stress on my hormonal systems in particular my pituitary gland my adrenal function is more less shot and my testosterone levels or not in at a healthy level for my age (earlier 30's) and I am male. I will give you some roughly actual test result reading and then tell you what I was told. Before I do that you should know that my GP had me on 20mg Hydrocortisone X1 per day and AndroGel 1% 5 gram packets that dose had just been adjusted prior to my 1st visit from 1 packet every 3rd day to 1 every day. My first test results for A.M. Cortisol was right in the middle of the range being (7-25) My Total Testosterone was in the high end of 800 range (240-950) My Bioavailable Testosterone was just over 400 range (72-235) this being pretty high for the Bio-T as stated had just been adjusted. After running the first round of test Dr. Carpenter requested that I quit taking the Testosterone and cut back the hydro cortisone so my levels could be retested to get a more accurate result from a retest this appointment ended up being just over 30 days later. The results as follows A.M. Cortisol just over 6.0 I One other result I am willing to share is my Growth Hormone levels first test were more then 1.5x the high end of the range being (0.01-0.97) 2nd test came back barely registering into the low end of normal. When I met with him to go over these results he start out by telling me that my test came back and they were normal and that the issues I was having are not related to endocrinology. When I ask about my cortisol test result specifically I was told that was to be expected because I was not off of the medication for a long enough period of time. From that point on it seemed as though I had attacking his ego. It was very clear my concerns were not going to be addressed. Another major concern I had when going over my medical records from this doctor I found the records to be riddled with in accurate FACTS. My last 2 cents for who may read this is why would a doctor reschedule a patient conducive to a time frame for testing that is not going to give definitive test results?

Unprofessional

Posted on June 24th, 2012

Dr. Carpenter was rude and unprofessional in his conduct. In a facility that is supposed to be the " gold standard" for medicine, he is a misfit.

Very likable Doctor.

Posted on April 25th, 2012

Did a good job explaining and showing me my CT. Gave me possible answers to life long questions.

Saddened and Very Disappointed!!

Posted on September 13th, 2011

Dr. Carpenter is rude, condescending, arrogant, obnoxious, hateful and uncaring egotistical individual. We were treated very inimical, disrespectful, unreasonable and frankly abusive by Dr. Carpenter. Dr. Carpenter does not listen to the patient or family. Dr. Carpenter does not check labs in a timely manner or even care about results of labs he orders and the trend for the patient. Dr. Carpenter does not pay attention to or even look at records or labs hand carried to him by patients who have traveled quite a distance to receive care at the Mayo Clinic.. If we followed Dr. Carpenter's recommendations would most definitely be unwelcome bad outcome and possibly fatal outcome for patient and family.Dr. Carpenter belittles other providers and is fixated on wrong inaccurate information. When you try to tell him about this Dr. Carpenter is extremely NASTY!!!!!!!! We would not recommend Dr. Carpenter to anyone.

Posted on August 27th, 2011

I saw Dr. Carpenter for recurrence of my Cushing's Disease which my home endocrinologist had extensively tested for. Dr. Carpenter dismissed her diagnosis, and ordered more testing, keeping me at Mayo Clinic for 5 days rather than the 2 I was told to expect. Upon follow up he eventually concurred with her diagnosis of Cushing's Disease. He spent less than 3 minutes in the room with me and when I asked a question about treatment options he shrugged his shoulders and said "you can do whatever you want" and walked out of the room. I found him to be rude, condescending, dismissive and in general and uncaring egotistical individual. I have never been treated so poorly by anyone in my life - let alone a Dr. that is supposed to be concerned about my well being. I would not recommend Dr. Carpenter to anyone.

Picked and chose data that fit his theory but incorrect

Posted on December 1st, 2010

I went to see Dr. Carpenter with a very serious set of endocrine issues. He came up with a theory about what was wrong very quickly, did testing, then focused only on data that supported his theory and dismissed information that did not fit it. He focused on disproving what my regular doctors had shown (because all non-Mayo doctors apparently are idiots) rather than focusing on looking into what was really wrong with me. In the end, this doctor was seriously wrong about a lot of things and made recommendations that could have been fatal to me if I had followed them. Thank God, I did not. I confronted him with my concerns about his assessment and recommendations and he was unable to back up most of what he said with real answers. I found him condescending and dismissive. Perhaps he is better with issues other than neuro-endocrine ones but I would be scared to have anyone I loved see this doctor.

Posted on April 11th, 2016