Internists, Rheumatologist

9097 E Desert Cove Ave
Ste 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
880-609-4200
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Kudzu.
Jul 3rd, 2014

A fantastic doctor. He is honest, caring and smart. You could never find a better doctor.

by Michael Mayer on Aug 29th, 2013

Dr Paul Howard and his staff saved my daughters life....several times.

|  Put cost of business on patients  |  show details
Jun 26th, 2013

Does not have a billing office or ANY agreements with insurance companies. Charges are within medicare allowable amounts, but puts the burden of filing on the patient. Is not part of any network, so is out of network (and out of pocket) for most patients. Always has a resident present so continuing patients have to repeat their medical history to each one at EVERY visit. Just recently implemented a credit card fee to include debit cards. Again, passing the cost of doing business to patients, or customers in his view. Just like an ARCO gas station. Are "air conditioning fees", "janitorial fees", or coin slots in the bathroom stalls next? Staff (all admin and medical) in a constant state of turnover - a sign of poor employee relations (low pay or high ego). The office is therefore run inefficiently and waits of over 1 hour are common. Of course checkout is fast when you demand cash on the spot. His medical care and knowledge is fine, but not worth the premium or hassle. Gets very defensive and short when any of the above financial issues are brought up.

|  Downhill  |  show details
Apr 10th, 2013

Over the years my experience with this office has become worse with time. Can't get to see the Doctor. PA only. Will not take Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Does not share med records with my other Doctors. Staff is short and rude. Unhappy office.

|  No good if you have any medical problems that are not usual  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2012

I found Dr. Howard inappropriate at times with his comments. Poor follow through when other doctors call him on my behalf during an emergency. He threw my chart to the floor when I suggested a diagnosis for which he could not find for me. If you have a really difficult autoimmune disease, stay away.

|  Worst Rheumatologist Ever Seen  |  show details
May 20th, 2012

This rheumatologist confused my patient notes with another's. Then he tells me he is stumped on my flare up. I have a history of Lupus/Vasculitis. He treated me with Prednisone/Methotrexate initially, but when things worsened he treated me horribly. He lied to me and to others in my care. I have a long history with my illnesses and can show a pattern and that I didn't have any issues with any other specialist. I have seen the best rheumatologists in the world, but have been living in Arizona and was told to try Dr. Howard. He yells at his staff. He yells at you if you say you have a latex allergy. He lied and confused my notes which therefore caused me a horrible load of problems. Absolute worst doctor ever. I am going to another specialist. Also, I would have liked to have some naturopathic remedies and I had to research and let him know that I read DHEA, Vit D, and calcium would help me with my years of diagnoses and symptoms. What a rude doctor! He even yelled at his residents/interns in the office. Jill in his office is very rude and snobbish. No one returns calls from there. Worst office also. They shouldn't be practicing medicine on anyone. P.Smith,MBA, PhD.

|  Best  |  show details
Oct 17th, 2011

Dr. Paul Howard is the best doctor I have ever seen. He saved my life when all the other doctors that were treating me did not know what to do. That includes several Mayo Clinic doctors. If you are seriously ill and need help you could not do better then Dr. Howard. He is also a good man that is honest and caring and he gives his all to each and every patient.

|  Knowledgable and helpful  |  show details
Jul 15th, 2011

Dr. Howard gives the best joint injections I have ever had...and I've had many over the years from a variety of physicians. He is caring and very helpful. His staff could be a little more customer service oriented and he could help himself, and his patients, by staying on schedule a little better. Overall an excellent rheumatologist, and the best I have found in valley.

|  Great Doc but leaving him for one who takes my insurance  |  show details
May 31st, 2011

Dr. Howard is kind, caring, jovial and shows true interest in your issues. He even offers arthritis-focused yoga classes at his office. Unfortunately, he doesn't take insurance and the amount of insurance reimbursement I get is only about 50% of the typical $140 office visit.This will become a problem for me because I'm cutting back on my hours (for health reasons) and every penny counts. Also, the office is an hour drive from my work. I'm often so fatigued after work that it's dangerous for me to drive that far. So, sadly, I will be saying farewell to Dr. Howard and his wonderful staff.

|  Wicked experience  |  show details
May 2nd, 2011

Loud, brash, unsympathetic, accusatory, demeaning all on the first visit ~ run the other direction if you are priveleged to be able to run - and find yourself a patient caring rheumatololgist - they are out there - not to be found here however.

Feb 10th, 2011

The medical staff is good.

|  Excellent doctor!  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Mar 28th, 2009 on insiderpages.com

Paul Howard, MD., is one of the leading arthritis doctors in the Scottsdale area. Arthritis Health is an integrated practice providing compr...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
 |  rheumatology  |  show details
by Sariband on Jul 25th, 2008 on kudzu.com

Dr. Howard has extensive experience treating complicated arthritic conditions using traditional medicine, yoga and supplements

Read Full Review at kudzu.com