Dr. Paul Anderson MD Patient Reviews

• Gastroenterology Plano, TX

• Good
  • Bad

July 23rd, 2017
The medication, of course, made me forget the procedure and the conversation afterwards. When I asked the same question a couple of times, the Dr seemed annoyed and commented that he'd already told me. I think he's an excellent Dr, but not very personable.

December 11th, 2015
Review
He was the doc on call when I went to the emergency room with gall stones. I was told my emergency staff that I was luck he was on call that Sunday. He was fantastic.

September 29th, 2015
The very best....
I am grateful to be a patient of Dr. Anderson. He is brillant. His respect and kindness for the patient is like no other. Thank you Dr. Anderson for saving my life!

September 23rd, 2015
Makes care decisions without consulting patient. Rude staff. Out-of-Network lab charges
Our experience with Dr. Anderson was anything but positive as people from a younger generation with different expectations of medical practice. Dr. Anderson and his practice is very much stuck in old ways of treating patients. The biggest problem is the "We're the experts: we own the patient" mentality which leads to several problems: 1. Unnecessary limiting of support from loved ones. Not only was I prohibited from accompanying my wife during her (simple and extremely common) procedure, but I was not even allowed in while she was being prepped for it. I saw her off, and was allowed a couple minutes with her right before the procedure (at which point she was extremely frustrated and crying because of a rude, unsympathetic staff member). After seeing how poorly she was being treated so far, and that she needed my support to ask and answer the many questions that go along with such things, I pushed very hard to stay with her and the same staff member literally laughed me off with contempt as if they idea of accompanying her (which is done with the same procedure by other practices) was ridiculous. 2. Making questionable medical decisions without consulting patient or spouse. My wife was told before the day of the procedure that she would not be completely sedated, but only given a mild sedative. Clearly that was the way most patients were treated (others were walking out in a few minutes), but at the last minute (perhaps because she had been labeled a problem patient), they told her she would be completely sedated as if that had been the plan all along. My wife asked whether she would be nauseated when she woke up, the doctor said she probably wouldn't be, and then dosed her with phenergan (a brutal, third-measure anti-nausea medication that knocks you out and leave you groggy for a day and a half). When asked about it, the doctor said "Oh, she was concerned about nausea." Doctor Anderson proceeds to explain his findings while my wife is too doped up to catch any of it (which she very much wanted to hear). Then he smiles and says "She probably won't remember much of anything. That's good." As you can imagine, I was very comforted to know that my wife had been unnecessarily sedated so that she wouldn't remember anything of a procedure during which I was unnecessarily prohibited from accompanying her. 3. Incurring large out-of-network lab costs without consulting patient. Dr. Anderson, whose practice is in-network, then sent in lab work to a lab in California which is out-of-network, incurring a $690 bill which we had to pay _entirely_ out of pocket (thankfully we were able to negotiate it down quite a bit with the lab). 4. Encouraging patients not to take any role in their own treatment, and totally sticks to the conventional narrative. Dr. Anderson diagnosed my wife with a mild case of IBD (a poorly-understood condition with no great known treatment options), and put her on the standard medical prescription (which is only known to be mildly effective). He did not recommend supplementing with probiotics (which some studies have shown to be just as effective as the standard treatment), and he encouraged her not to pay attention to what might trigger flare ups because "you'll just drive yourself crazy". Bottom line: "Here, take these pills. They won't really prevent the problem, but they make it better. Trust me." A week or two after the procedure and going on the pills prescribed, my wife had the worst flare up of her life, called the doctor, and he insisted that it was entirely a coincidence. In short, Dr. Anderson and his practice are old school. Expect to feel these statements coming through: We're the experts. We know best. Take these pills. Don't expect choices in your treatment options (or anyone to ask before unnecessarily doping you up), and don't expect careful billing practices.

November 26th, 2012
He is an excellent doctor. One of the top doctors in Dallas, TX.

August 11th, 2011
I really like him. I did not know he was so highly sought after when I found him several years ago. He treats me with respect and listens, and though I may want to try something different, I deffer to him because he really knows his stuff. And he does indeed stay up to date. And his staff is reachable, and his nurse is a gem.

April 8th, 2010
Highly competent
Dr Anderson is a very likeable and caring physician. He's also very competent. He seems to be very up to date in his methods and knowledge. I read about a new procedure for treating my condition and he was one of the doctors already using it.

January 6th, 2009
Excellent Physician
Dr. Anderson truly cares about you and takes the time to discuss all treatment and diagnostic options. He is sharp and experienced. I highly recommend him to anyone with a GI ailment.

August 3rd, 2008
Outstanding Doctor
Dr Anderson quickly and correctly identified the cause of my medical problem and corrected it via procedure when multiple other doctors in his specialty weren't able to do so.

May 17th, 2017