Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN), Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  Should have read these reviews FIRST!  |  show details
by Patient on Jul 14th, 2014

Take $13,000 and throw it in the wind and have intercourse with your husband 13 times in one month and your odds of pregnancy are better than the emotional, financial and physical roller coaster that Dr. Magarelli throws you on and keeps you seat belted in even when yelling STOP. Horrible bed side manners, arrogant and the few nice members of his staff QUIT while I was a patient. The rest were interns who new close to nothing. It took several tries to get my blood and one of the new ladies who was attempting my ultra sound, had a hot flash and had to sit down.... it was ALWAYS something. It was like being a Guinea pig in a lab. Pretty sad when you spend that kind of money, get no results and to top it off they still can't pronounce my name correctly. Horrible patient relations.

|  Success Story  |  show details
May 28th, 2014

Whenever a couple is having difficulty conceiving, they try to find reasons to justify their plight. Placing blame on the doctor helps to alleviate feelings of personal frustration. I fear that a good doctor has fallen prey to this transferrance. As a doctor myself, I very much enjoyed working with Dr. Magarelli. His statistics are based on scientific research and when I had questions or concerns, he would often provide me with journal articles from reputable sources that corroborated the information that he was giving. After undergoing OHSS and a failed FET, I was able to conceive with the help of Dr. Magarelli and his team. I now have beautiful, healthy, one-year-old triplets. I was referred to Dr. Magarelli by a friend and have since recommended him to friends and will continue to do so.

|  Thanks for the headache  |  show details
by Gina D. on Apr 30th, 2014

As I sit here nursing my 5 week old baby boy, I know for sure who NOT to thank for my son and that is Dr. Magarelli. Since the first time my husband and I met him, we felt uncomfortable and as if he didn't really listen to us. We had been trying to have a baby for almost a year. After all the routine testing, the dr told us we had 0% chance to conceive. He was claiming that my husband's sperm was deformed and I had plenty of eggs but didn't ovulate. He never gave a real reason for my lack of ovulation, he simply stated that I myself had said so when I claimed to have an irregular period. His next statement was that IVF was our only option and listed the various payment plans. We felt as if he was just interested in the money so we didn't go through with his plan. All he caused us was heartache and stress. A couple of months later we moved overseas for work and I decided to see an OBGYN. Not only did he explain to me that I had PCOS, but gave me different inexpensive tips and ways to improve the condition and within four months I was pregnant.

|  Magarelli, and staff are fantastic  |  show details
by Ericka Perez on Jul 17th, 2013

We are currently expecting our son on about 7 weeks thanks to Dr. Magarelli and his staff. I believe the negative things people are say may have to do with his people skills. I admit he dosen't have the best people skill as far as sugar coating things and I respect that. My husband and I tried for 7 years and both the Army and Him came to the came conclusion that our only option was IVF and with our second try it worked. I am greatful to him and his staff. Just make an appoint and talk to him and his staff.

|  Horrible  |  show details
by AK on Jun 17th, 2013

Horrible, horrible, horrible doctor. He has no idea what he is doing. He made me think I could never get pregnant without spending thousands of dollars. I am happy to say I have 3 children. He should have his license taken away. He's a money grubbing liar.

|  About as good as it gets  |  show details
Oct 22nd, 2011

We've dealt with infertility for almost 10 years and have been through every test and procedure under the sun with several other doctors (including 3 IUI's, 3 fresh IVF cycles, and 2 FET's). We came to RMFC for a second (actually third) opinion and possibly one final round of IVF before calling it quits.You can't judge an RE too harshly (especially when your treatments fail) because IVF, while amazing, is an imperfect science. We've had cycles where everything looks perfect, but it doesn't work. Why doesn't it? The doctors don't know. If they knew, they'd have taken steps to prevent it from failing to begin with. So when Dr. Magarelli (or any other RE) tells you that "everything looks perfect" and the cycle doesn't work, it doesn't mean he "lied" - it just means he's not God. They don't always have the answers, and that doesn't make them incompetent. Again, this is not a perfect science. There is still so much unknown. We've seen a lot of doctors over the years, and Dr. Magarelli ranks right up there in the top three. He is very thorough, knowledgeable, and refuses to give you any odds of success until all the results are in. He explains what he's doing and why, he listens to your concerns, and shows appropriate-enough compassion. But if you're looking for an RE who will cry with you when your cycle fails, keep looking, but good luck with that.His staff is STELLAR - can't say enough good things about them. Kind, warm, sympathetic, and accommodating.Overall, I would recommend Dr. Magarelli.

|  Great Results with Caveats  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2011

At age 34 1/2 after trying to get pregnant w/a second baby for 9 mos & failing miserably I felt grateful to have been referred to Dr. Magarelli by my infertility-specialized acupuncturist. In less than two visits I had answers as to why I was having such difficulty & even answers to some long-plaguing health problems that had caused me difficulty in my 20's, which I hadn't expected. Caveat: his speciality is IVF & be prepared, if you go for a consult to be told this is your only option, as was I, & a slew of different gals I met that sought treatment through him. For me it wasn't much of an issue as I wanted to get pregnant as quickly as possible & went w/what would yield the best results. It was successful & I have a beautiful baby girl. The staff at the UNM clinic & his clinic were good, though I thought they were a bit short-staffed at UNM. Magarelli is very out-going & extroverted...& can maybe come on too strong. They put the hard sell on you, but my research seemed to jive w/what he & staff told me. Yes, I could see how me might rub folks the wrong way. At the end of the day, though, he was truthful, even if it hurt, obviously it didn't hurt too bad as we were able to grow our family! Thanks Dr. Mag!

Oct 3rd, 2011

I am a current patient of Dr Magarelli I felt it necessary to right this if even one person reads this and find this information helpful. For several months both my husband and I have been on an emotional roller coaster with this office, I feel because we are a younger couple we are treated as though we dont know anything and our questions are often met with smug remarks. I am devastated on a weekly basis by this office but feel like we are too deep in money and time wise to change Dr's now. Often information is conflicting among the office staff which only makes the experience more horrific. I cry almost every time I get off the phone with the office because we just cant seem to get anything done even after several tests and trips to his office, here we are four months later several thousand dollars spent and still no type of treatment.Its beyond any words I could possibly write down here how disappointed we are, I'am absolutely broken hearted. Please dont make our same mistake.

Apr 13th, 2011

My husband and I used Dr Mag to get pregnant in 2009. We did get pregnant but later on when we tried to have baby number 2 we found out he had lied to us. He told us our only option would be to do IVF and we have been told by numerous other doctors that we have many options to get pregnant not just IVF. I also feel that while his nurses seem to be very caring and helpful he is all about pushing IVF on you and as fast as he can. I have talked with other people who have used him and they feel the same way. We felt we had to have Ivf and Dr Mag made it seem like we only had five minutes to decide or else we couldn't do it. He came in with our test results and said IVF is the only way I believe you will get pregnant and then sent in his finance people to tell us how much it would cost and then when we said we would need time to figure it out we were told if we didn't decide quick they might be full for that month and we might not get the same price the next month. When you are already stressed and crazy over trying to get pregnant thats not how or what you should hear. He is agressive and doesn't seem to spend much time with you at all. I can say I got pregnant and that his nurses are amazing but I would get a second opinion before allowing IVF. I just wouldn't want someone to feel how we did and then later find out it was pretty much a lie.

Mar 1st, 2011

He's and his staff are very rude. He tells people to make questions, when you do, he tells you to ask to your God when you die. When he doesn't have answers for your questions, he gets agressive. He is very weird..........and many others things make me feel very scared about him. Be careful!!!

|  After 5 years of struggling, THIS practice was our answer!  |  show details
Feb 2nd, 2011

After 5 years of being bounced around by doctors and being told we'd never have a child, Dr. Magarelli was the answer to all our prayers. I couldn't be happier with my experience! My daughter is about to turn 6 years old, and we owe all our thanks to Dr. Magarelli and his wonderful, caring staff! This is what personalized medicine is all about!

Feb 2nd, 2011

I AM a current pt of Dr Magarelli and I am completely disapointed with the way he treated me, after the egg retreival and 7 months of "mock" cycles i finally got to meet him personally just to find out my uterus was not getting thicker and I would not be able to get pregnant, but what made the whole situation really sad and frustrating was that he did not even tried to explain to why the cycles did not work or why my uterus wa not getting thicker, he just said there was nothing else he could do for me and that I needed to look AT OTHER OPTIONS. Totally forgetting the fact that a couple of months before our meeting he told me over the phone that I had beautiful embryos and evrything was "OK". After receiving the bad news Dr Mag offered to help us find a surrogate stating his "team" would get in touch with us. After about a week of waiting and not hearing from them we decided ro contact his office and we still have NOT heard from them yet. I still receive his bills wich tells me they know we exist and confirms the fact that to Dr. Magarelli one is just a "check" in his bank account and not a person who deserves answers, respect and compation. DO NOT GO TO DR MAGARELLI.

|  Good Experience  |  show details
Dec 28th, 2010

I started researching fertility specialists in NM & while I read good reviews of the other group in town, I was personally referred to Magarelli by two different people. "Dr. Mag" as he's often called, immediately dove into trying to find the cause of our inability to concieve a 2nd child opposed to beginning treatment before he had all the facts. Naturally his automatic answer was IVF. Pretty much, it's the IVF or the highway. Forutnately, for us we were willing to go down this path. If you're not willing or able to do IVF than this doc isn't for you. In all fairness, it is the most expensive & difficult, especially when you have to travel from Albuquerque to CO Springs for the procedure. He encourages Chinese medicine & acupuncture which I'm a huge believer in & was beneficial to me during the process. While very personable & friendly, he can be abrupt, cocky, & will tell you the hard truth, but he doesn't want to WASTE YOUR TIME! Which is of the essence when you're dealing w/infertility. His his nurse Tammie in ABQ is nothing short of a gem as are his CO Springs staff. Just didn't enjoy being seen by the UNM interns (a new one every week). In the end, I ended up going thru 2 rounds of IVF. The 1st one was successful but resulted in a loss at 6 wks (which he couldn't have been more supportive), & the 2nd one was VERY successful & am almost out of my 2nd trimester. To top it off he almost diagnosed me w/something that had been alluding other docs & put to rest some annoying health issues. Remember infertility isn't a one size fits all issue, where one doc may lack another may feel the void, & the younger you are when it's addressed the better the outcome.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2010

I was pregnant withing 3 months! 1st try! And I sent a friend of mine in too. She was pregnant within 6 weeks. A year later We both have 2 healthy sons! Can't say enough about him.

Jun 15th, 2010

My husband and I went to see Dr. Magarelli about a month ago for a consult. After a month passed, they got the lab results back and told us that we could not a have a baby the "natural" way due to a problem with my husband's sperm . We were notified that we would have to undergo IVF, that it would cost around 30,000 (excluding the fertility meds) and that they could not guarantee that the treatment would be successful. They also wanted to start the cycle without even letting me and my husband talk it over, money wise. Then, we requested a copy of the lab results and were notified that we would have to pay $14.00 for the first 14 pages (for both mine and my husband's results). That is in insane. Why should you have to pay for something that belongs to you? Anyway, about three weeks after we received the news that we could not get pregnant without IVF, I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant and so far so good. I believe that these people are all about the money. I would not recommend this doctor at all. Aside from that, the nurses were great but some of the front desk people and the office manager, were rude.

May 20th, 2010

I am currently a seeing him. His staff is very friendly. The only problem that I have is that he doesn't spend enough with me.

|  We have a bueatiful baby boy thanks to Dr. Magarelli  |  show details
by tlsalamo on May 2nd, 2010

I am suprised at some of the comments here. We have a bueatiful 6 week old baby boy thanks to Doctor Magarelli. My husband and I did our homework before approaching Dr. Magarelli. We already knew what the problem was and we were looking for the best person for IVF. We liked that he worked with an accupuncturist and Chinese medicine. Because we knew what we wanted we ended up paying thousands of dollars less than we would have paid if we would have selected other fertility doctors in Albuquerque. We can't be happier for having chosen to work with Dr. Magarelli.

Mar 19th, 2010

Dr. mag was a god sent. we love his accuracy in diagnosing our problem. We live in New Mexico and have gone to his office in co, he is a GOOD doctor and would not have asked for anyone better..our follow up's we excellent and the staff our wonderfull careing people.

|  my review  |  show details
Mar 14th, 2010

WELL let me start off that I am NOT at all thrilled with this doctor and his staff in the new mexico location are rude and take weeks for results and I always felt like i was a bother because the nurse the HEAD nurse and the other staff would huff and puff when i asked a question...DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS DOCTOR OR OFFICe at all..

Mar 5th, 2010

Do not go to this doctor. Save your money, time, and emotions. He doesn't understand that each patient has different needs and that not all patients are the same. I always felt like I was wasting his time and that I was only a paycheck. He was rude at times and acted like he knew everything. He is NOT a skilled infertility doctor. Please do yourself a favor and go to another doctor. I never felt like I was in good hands with any of the staff.

|  Fetility  |  show details
by Raf on Dec 21st, 2009

Dr. Magarelli is awesome and Im not sure if we are talking about the same Doctor. We had a great experience with him after trying with a local doctor for a year. He was always there for us and never mention any money and compared to what we paid with the local doctor he was cheap. His bed side manner was great and he always kept us in the loop. He explained everything and we felt compassion and that he really cared about us having a baby. That is more than I could say about our local guy in Albuquerque. We also had three friends who also went to Dr. Magarelli and had positive experiences and the best part they were able to have babys. Thanks to Dr.Magarelli we have twins.The only thing that I have to agree with is paying a bill is a pain. They never send invoices so I always had to call to check our balance.

|  Horrible!!!  |  show details
by Gina on Nov 5th, 2009

We had an awful experience. He would not listen to our story, just wanted us to pny up lots of money for IVF. He told us we would not get pregnant without it. We went to another infertility clinic in Colorado Springs, and were told a completely different story and got pregnant quickly without IVF.

|  Left his office feeling even more discouraged  |  show details
by VC on Oct 22nd, 2009

Dr. Magarelli was my first shot at seeing a fertility doctor after trying to get pregnant for 3 years. After rushing my husband and I through a quick "consultation," he examined me and seemed very pleased with himself that what he assumed during the consultation was what he found to be true: I have PCOS. He came up with no plan from there. He just made it sound like, sorry, you have bad ovaries... who's next?? I left trying hard not to cry. This guy treated me like he didn't care if I came back or not. I did in fact cry a few weeks later when we got his $790 bill!! We are NOT going back to him... I've heard of so many other good doctors in Colorado Springs. Oh, and by the way - he was WRONG. I do NOT have PCOS. Don't waste your hopes or your money with this office.

|  Is this guy for real?  |  show details
Jun 27th, 2009

I had my first consultation early on this year. They hadn't yet received my husband's analysis and they already wanted to put me through a cycle. They had me go through numerous tests and said all was fine, yet they didn't think I had a good chance getting pregnant through IUI. They insisted on IVF. While talking to the female Dr. that works with Dr. M, she was very wishy washy about the info. she gave us. We were told one price in the beginning and now it's almost doubled because we "waited TOO long" and the prices have since "escalated." I hope more people come on here and share their experiences. I mean if there is truly someone out there who was successful with Dr. M and his facilities, please do tell!

|  Money-Driven Gnome.....  |  show details
by Against Dr. Magarelli the liar on Apr 27th, 2009

STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!!He will not only break your hopes and play with your emotions. He will want to charge you everything you have to get you pregnant. He is a liar and all of his staff and office is just for show! Don't let this money grabbing gnome tell you what is wrong with you until he figures out what is wrong with him! There are so many other doctors that are willing to help couples instead of passing them over around his office, he thinks he's better than anyone. So he will pass you around. LIAR! LIAR! LIAR!

Mar 26th, 2009

Thought Dr Magarelli is a good salesman, but as a patient I felt I was pushed off to other people in the practice too often.

|  Look for another doctor! Don't let your emotions make you feel trapped.  |  show details
by 39 Year old female on Mar 23rd, 2009

While the office staff and nurses were kind and competent, Dr. Magarelli was always rushed and didn't explain things fully. I was also told my husband and I had 1% chance of conceiving naturally. This doctor appears to present IVF as the ONLY viable option for all patients. The money end of it is very suspicious as well. They offer lower pricing if you pay on the spot as opposed to taking time to think about it. I really recommend you look elsewhere for your fertility help...this doctor will only waste your money.

|  Run, run, run from this doctor - as fast as you can...  |  show details
by Mom2threeIn<13mo! on Feb 6th, 2009

My husband and I saw Magarelli in 2000. I've been an R.N. for 15 years and have a good grasp of the medical field and professional behavior. I had a uterine anomaly that needed repair and was experiencing pelvic pain. Upon review of my husband's semen analysis, he was found to have morphology issues (2-3% normal). During our appointment, we sat in tears as Magarelli told us we weren't going to get pregnant without IVF/ICSI. He gave us a 1% chance of conceiving naturally. He didn't want to fix my septate uterus or research my pelvic pain. His statement was "do you want to find the reason for your pain or do you want a baby". We left after being passed off to a financial planner who was going to help arrange our financing. I ended up going to Dr Debra Minjarez in Denver and never returned to Dr Magarelli again. Dr Minjarez fixed my uterus and my endometriosis (the source of my pelvic pain). Then, I went on to Walter Reed Army Hospital for IVF/ICSI. They charged $4200. vs Dr Magarelli's $11,000. My twins were born 8 months later. When my twins were 6 months old (and I was still breastfeeding), I discovered I was pregnant again- naturally. So much for a 1% chance of conceiving. Dr Magarelli is a pig and he preys on people's emotions. He gives out shocking news and makes people believe he is the one who can fix the problem- for a huge price. There are too many great REs in CO to mess with this guy.

Dec 11th, 2006 on yahoo.com

Worst Office Ever: The runnings of the office are disorganized and rude. Paid my bill two years ago in 2004 and was sent to collections in 2006. When I tried to contact their billing office no one would help me. Kept refering me to the collection agency.

Read Full Review at yahoo.com