Neurological Surgeons
Penn Neurosurgery
3 Ravdin 3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215-349-8222
Locations and availability (4)

• Currently 3.047619047619 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Awesome Doctor  |  show details
by Ray on Mar 24th, 2014

Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of a very complicated surgery, I have and will continue to recommend him to anyone who needs spinal surgery. He will always be truthful.

|  Best neurosurgeon I have seen in over 12 years  |  show details
by TJG on Feb 11th, 2014

I first met Dr. Marcotte in 2010. I saw him due in hopes that he could fix a failed fusion at L4-5 done by a surgeon down south who completely messed up my back. Dr. Marcotte was honest, thorough, and took the time to answer all of my questions. The surgery was done in Dec 2010, and I woke up after five hours of surgery in less pain than when I went in. Dr. Marcotte did another fusion on my back in December 2012, and I still see him for ongoing treatment for a degenerative spinal disease. I have recommended several people to him, and all have come back and told me they are thankful for the referral. Dr. Marcotte is not the kind of surgeon who will hold your hand and tell patients what they want to hear. He is honest and will lay out all options, all possible outcomes, and all possible complications. His office staff is wonderful, and I have no issues with either of the inpatient stays after surgery. I was seen by Dr. Marcotte every day. He spent as much time with me as I needed for my questions, concerns, and status. His team of residents and interns have also been wonderful. I like that Dr. Marcotte will treat pain from major surgery like a spinal fusion instead of letting the patient suffer. He ensures that as his patient I work closely with the pain mgt team to get my pain to a tolerable level and then as it improves safely reduce the pain meds needed. I have seen several neurosurgeons over the last 12 years, and Dr. Marcotte is by far the best of them. He and HUP are my only choice for treatment of my back.

|  Two successful spine operations by Dr. Marcotte  |  show details
by Lee K. on Feb 6th, 2014

I had spinal stenosis and caudal compression which became severe over the last 10 years, requiring cervical and lumbar laminectomies (in February, 2010 and January 7, 2014.) Dr. Marcotte performed both of these, relieving the symptoms which at times had made it almost impossible for me to walk. I have now regained almost all normal mobility, although I have been told it will take a few months for full recovery from the latest surgery. I have very high confidence in Dr. Marcotte, and have found him very easy to communicate with concerning my needs. As an active teacher, he brings in younger staff to gain knowledge and experience, which I am willing to accommodate. I highly recommend him and his team.

|  TOP DOC  |  show details
by Richard Franchi on Dec 15th, 2013

I have been battling severe pain and weakness in my left side and neck for many years. Several years ago Dr. Marcotte was honorable and recommended a path of least resistance (no surgery). Three years later I did develop nerve damage that he initially advised could result as I got older. I am out of surgery now 2 weeks PAIN FREE. In such a sensitive operation it was mentally overwhelming for me. But I will tell anyone, I felt I was in the best hands from Day 1. In my life, there is no other physician/surgeaon I would EVER consider other than Dr. Marcotte.

|  healthcare ceo..an alumnus of penn.  |  show details
by dr aneed on Sep 12th, 2013

I was very much disasitsfied...no bed side manner,no time to talk to me or any other patient..he is a good technician..but no showing interest in his patiens..bed side manners they do not exist at all..very much disappointed with his of dealing with the patients..as for his staff at the office..extremely vulgar and show no inteerst in the patients..have notified the board and the neurosurgery department about this .condition..this is not the way h.u.p was when i was at the dep'tof ob-gyn..what a shame..will not refer any patients to him but to jeff.med center..so shameful..dr aneed

|  Extremely Satisfied  |  show details
by Loerback on May 30th, 2013

Had a tumor in the spinal cord. Dr. M and his team performed a laminectomy and resected the tumor. My recovery has been uneventful. The whole process was much less stressful than I expected, and I suffered only minimal pain. From the receptionists, to the nurses, to the surgical team, everyone was absolutely first-rate -- courteous, helpful, informative -- professional.

|  A surgical assembly line  |  show details
Apr 19th, 2013

It's been over 3 years since my surgery. I was at Penn for 6 days and then transferred to another facility for 8 days of physical and occupational therapy. I never recovered and am in worse shape now than I was before the surgery. He did five surgeries that day and after reviewing a summary of my surgery concluded he didn't actually perform my sugery but rather had one of his residents do it. He was, however, in the room for the entire surgery. He never visited me while I was in the hospitalb but did send his residents in everyday. I referrred to them as the talking heads.

|  Top Notch Neurosurgery at University of Pennsylvania Hospital  |  show details
by Colleen Terra on Mar 3rd, 2013

Dr. Marcotte and his team, including Dr. Hurtig are absolutely a pleasure. I have suffered with pain for many years and was quite anxious about the need for a lumbar fusion. Not only were all of my questions answered honestly and completely, the professionalism of this team is incomparable. I am just at five weeks post op and am looking forward to getting back to my life. A life that pain had stolen. I have a difficult time finding the words to describe my gratitude to this team. Thank you.

May 10th, 2012

Today was my first appointment with Dr. Marcott and he was amazing. Any question I asked, he answered with care and honesty. He opted not to do surgery on my back and i totally appreciated his opinion. I would absolutely recommended him to anyone. He was not only very educated and well experienced in his field but he was kind...I think when a worried patient is anxious the kind caring ways of a doctor are worth so much.

|  EXCELLENT NEUROSURGEON!!!  |  show details
Mar 23rd, 2012

Dr. Marcotte has performed several spinal fusions for me, cervical and lumbar. He is absolutely the best there is. It takes someone extraordinary to trust with your life. I have done so repeatedly (due to osteoarthritis), and would not hesitate to put my life in his hands in the future.

Aug 23rd, 2011

Dr Marcotte sucessfully operated on me during a medical emergency. He was able to confidently decide on the best route of surgery to make.

Aug 8th, 2011

He lied about the progress he made during the surgery. He failed to disclose that my husband was now a quadriplegic.When I express concern that my husband was losing ability to do things instead of making progress he dismissed my concerns instead of ordering tests. We later doscovered my husband has a blood clot in his leg and encephalitis which lead to his his premature death at the age of 57.

Jun 25th, 2011

Wonderful Dr. He is the only one whom I would let touch my neck. I had to have a cervical revision surgery due to a non-union of my fusion. The original dr. Who did the surgery did a terrible job. My revision surgery was done by Dr. Marcotte and I now have fusion at all three cervical levels. It is because of Dr. Marcotte that I am doing so well today. Go to this Dr. If you need neurosurgery, he has very high success rates and was rated as a Top neurosurgeon in U.S. World and news report.

|  Don't go to him!  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2010

Would not recommend to anyone

Jun 28th, 2010

I have had many experieces with the University of Penn and Dr. Marcotte he is very knoweledgable and a great Dr. I wouldn't put my life into anyone elses hands. I have Hydrocephlus and have had 26 shunt revisions and he has done about 8 of them plus I have had back fusions and most recently a neck fusion. I thank him for me being here.

by Margaret Wintz on May 31st, 2010

the staff and Dr are very professional and great at their job I have had many surgeries since I have Hydrocephlus and broke my back in an auto accident I wouldnt go any where else!! Dr. Marcotte is an excellent Dr. He is very professional and caring. He should get all the recognition for being such a great Dr. I would recommend him to anyone !!

|  Made costly mistakes  |  show details
by Robert B on Jul 27th, 2009

Made mistkes during the surgery and did did not diagnose related complications in time to prevent permanant damage.