Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Diane Laison on Apr 4th, 2016

The most important thing about Dr. Marcotte is that he's perfect. He's a brilliant surgeon, who thinks deeply about his patients and cares deeply about his patients. Amazingly, he's also down-to-earth and humble, incredible for any surgeon, let alone for such a great one.

Mar 8th, 2016

Dr. Marcotte has performed three surgeries on my spine to repair arthritis, stenosis, disks, laminaectomy, and spinal fusion. He is very personable, and does a wonderful job. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a spine specialist.

by I am me on Feb 26th, 2016

Dr. Marcotte is a patient and caring doctor. His staff is warm and caring.

Excellent care show details Excellent care
by Joyce M on Feb 16th, 2016

This was my 3rd opinion and was the most comprehensive evaluation. Dr Marcotte called me personally to go over the results of my most recent MRI. His staff put me & my family at ease about the options & realistic outcomes of surgery.

Failed Back Surgery Syndrome show details Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
by Dan B. on Sep 23rd, 2015

Dr. Marcotte operated on me twice to fuse my L4 and L5 vertebrae together to treat spinal stenosis and radiculopathy. The end result was failed back surgery syndrome. That is where I am in worse shape with pain, numbness and discomfort than I was before the surgeries. It is debilitating. In addition, immediately following both surgeries, I developed a GI disfunction that has lead to a life threatening weight loss condition. Dr. Marcotte and his staff have basically told me "thanks for playing, have a nice day", effectively washing their hands of the situation. I wish I had never had the surgery.

Fantastic neurosurgeon! show details Fantastic neurosurgeon!
by William on Aug 29th, 2015

Dr. Marcotte performed a hemilaminectomy on my neck in 2003 to disk pressure on my spinal cord. Surgery went very well and, 12 years later, I am pain free and completely well. It did take about 5 years for a full recovery.

Great Dr show details Great Dr
Aug 12th, 2015

I had surgery on my neck in 2009 and I am great thanks Dr Marcotte!

by Andrea Hughes on Jun 23rd, 2015

Excellent surgeon... I was back to "good as new" quickly. Dr. Marcotte is very competent, great bedside manner, spends time explaining things, provides treatment options, so that intelligent decisions can be made. Wonderful doctor.

by Mary Lupica on Mar 21st, 2015

After so much pain and unable to walk, that I had to crawl to move. I finally got my life back. I call this a 2nd chance and Dr, Marcotte gave me this. I knew the pain was from my back but I could not understand why my leg was going numb and I had no more will to go on. The pain was unbearable. Once the surgery took place I was out of pain and knew I made the right decision. I owe Dr, Marcotte and his team my LIFE.

Absolutely, one of the best cervical guys in the country (if not THE best). show details Absolutely, one of the best cervical guys in the country (if not THE best).
Feb 15th, 2015

Dr. Marcotte fused my cervical at C6-C7 & C7-T1. He used the bone from my own hip. Although I have a number of 'other' spinal problems, my neck was a major problem (disabling me with pain). After this masterful surgeon operated on me, I was no longer plagued by the pain associated with that messed up part of my anatomy. The man is a real pro. I got a second opinion from a highly rated cervical Doc. at Jefferson Hospital and that Surgeon said : "I know Paul and he's the best guy to do your surgery. Tell Paul I said Hello".

Dec 23rd, 2014

Very knowledgable and concerned; technically excellent. Highly recommend.

surgical patient show details surgical patient
by Paul D. Geraghty on Nov 7th, 2014

Excellent surgeon, very communicative, attentive, terrific bedside manner, excellent office/medical staff. I achieved an excellent result and I could not be happier with the Dr. and his team.

by Salvatore De Luca on Oct 16th, 2014

Dr. Marcotte is THE MOST TALENTED NEUROSURGEON IN THE UNITED STATES! He fused my spine and when I didn't know if I would walk again he ( AND HIS STAFF!!!!) put my mind at ease!!! I can't thank him enough

Awesome Doctor show details Awesome Doctor
by Ray on Mar 24th, 2014

Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of a very complicated surgery, I have and will continue to recommend him to anyone who needs spinal surgery. He will always be truthful.

TOP DOC show details TOP DOC
by Richard Franchi on Dec 15th, 2013

I have been battling severe pain and weakness in my left side and neck for many years. Several years ago Dr. Marcotte was honorable and recommended a path of least resistance (no surgery). Three years later I did develop nerve damage that he initially advised could result as I got older. I am out of surgery now 2 weeks PAIN FREE. In such a sensitive operation it was mentally overwhelming for me. But I will tell anyone, I felt I was in the best hands from Day 1. In my life, there is no other physician/surgeaon I would EVER consider other than Dr. Marcotte.

Extremely Satisfied show details Extremely Satisfied
by Loerback on May 30th, 2013

Had a tumor in the spinal cord. Dr. M and his team performed a laminectomy and resected the tumor. My recovery has been uneventful. The whole process was much less stressful than I expected, and I suffered only minimal pain. From the receptionists, to the nurses, to the surgical team, everyone was absolutely first-rate -- courteous, helpful, informative -- professional.

A surgical assembly line show details A surgical assembly line
Apr 19th, 2013

It's been over 3 years since my surgery. I was at Penn for 6 days and then transferred to another facility for 8 days of physical and occupational therapy. I never recovered and am in worse shape now than I was before the surgery. He did five surgeries that day and after reviewing a summary of my surgery concluded he didn't actually perform my sugery but rather had one of his residents do it. He was, however, in the room for the entire surgery. He never visited me while I was in the hospitalb but did send his residents in everyday. I referrred to them as the talking heads.

May 10th, 2012

Today was my first appointment with Dr. Marcott and he was amazing. Any question I asked, he answered with care and honesty. He opted not to do surgery on my back and i totally appreciated his opinion. I would absolutely recommended him to anyone. He was not only very educated and well experienced in his field but he was kind...I think when a worried patient is anxious the kind caring ways of a doctor are worth so much.

EXCELLENT NEUROSURGEON!!! show details EXCELLENT NEUROSURGEON!!!
Mar 23rd, 2012

Dr. Marcotte has performed several spinal fusions for me, cervical and lumbar. He is absolutely the best there is. It takes someone extraordinary to trust with your life. I have done so repeatedly (due to osteoarthritis), and would not hesitate to put my life in his hands in the future.

Aug 23rd, 2011

Dr Marcotte sucessfully operated on me during a medical emergency. He was able to confidently decide on the best route of surgery to make.

Aug 8th, 2011

He lied about the progress he made during the surgery. He failed to disclose that my husband was now a quadriplegic.When I express concern that my husband was losing ability to do things instead of making progress he dismissed my concerns instead of ordering tests. We later doscovered my husband has a blood clot in his leg and encephalitis which lead to his his premature death at the age of 57.

Jun 25th, 2011

Wonderful Dr. He is the only one whom I would let touch my neck. I had to have a cervical revision surgery due to a non-union of my fusion. The original dr. Who did the surgery did a terrible job. My revision surgery was done by Dr. Marcotte and I now have fusion at all three cervical levels. It is because of Dr. Marcotte that I am doing so well today. Go to this Dr. If you need neurosurgery, he has very high success rates and was rated as a Top neurosurgeon in U.S. World and news report.

Don't go to him! show details Don't go to him!
Jul 16th, 2010

Would not recommend to anyone

Jun 28th, 2010

I have had many experieces with the University of Penn and Dr. Marcotte he is very knoweledgable and a great Dr. I wouldn't put my life into anyone elses hands. I have Hydrocephlus and have had 26 shunt revisions and he has done about 8 of them plus I have had back fusions and most recently a neck fusion. I thank him for me being here.

by Margaret Wintz on May 31st, 2010

the staff and Dr are very professional and great at their job I have had many surgeries since I have Hydrocephlus and broke my back in an auto accident I wouldnt go any where else!! Dr. Marcotte is an excellent Dr. He is very professional and caring. He should get all the recognition for being such a great Dr. I would recommend him to anyone !!

Made costly mistakes show details Made costly mistakes
by Robert B on Jul 27th, 2009

Made mistkes during the surgery and did did not diagnose related complications in time to prevent permanant damage.