Dr. Paul Mcafee MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

no change

February 6th, 2015
Awesome Surgeon
Bed side manner was awesome. Informed me more then other Orthopedics in Maryland.

March 20th, 2014
Find another doctor
I would never recommend him - please stay away. I now have 24 hour chronic pain, can no longer work or enjoy anything in life that requires physical movement. I am on Social Security Disability as a result of XLIF surgery. He could care less!

July 12th, 2011
2 Back Surgeries by Dr. McAfee
Dr. McAfee has performed 2 surgeries so far on my back.1st was a Lower Lumbar Decompressive Lamenectomy, after I had gone to Physical Therapy, Pain Management (3 series of 3 of Spinal injections), then my surgery. I was 37 at the time of my 1st surgery and I had done very well recovering, to the point that I was able to play very competitive Softball afterwords. Then at age 42, I had developed a epidermal Cyst on my Spinal cord which had to be removed. This was more then I bargained for because when he got in there, he had found that my previous fusions of Bone had broken loose and were floating, so he performed a Revision to my Fusion by using metal rods down L5~L3. Now I must see him again at age 45, because i am having numbness down my right leg if I stand too long or walk too much. Also, i have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, which keeps me in pain everyday, do it is difficult for me to tell the difference.Summary is that Dr. Paul McAfee is one of the Best at what he does & he is very straight up & truthful with you. He bailed me out after my 1st surgery, because I had developed Gastritus & Esophegitis while laying around, recovering from my surgery. I went to a local Doctor, who was giving me ancient types of Meds (as my father put it (Pharmacist) and I was not getting better i was even awake when he shoved the big tube down my throat. When Dr McAfee heard about this, he directed his Secretary to make an appointment for me to see his Gastro Doctor Dr. Goldberg at St Joe's & I went right upstairs and met with him and he took care of my problem.Excellent Doctor & Best hospital.

February 15th, 2011
Cervical Spine Fusion
Another surgeon said I needed a 4 level fusion. Dr. McAfee said this was way too aggressive for my age (40) and my symptoms (tingling in left pointer finger). A two level fusion was performed. C3-C4 and C5-C6. Two days in the hospital. After three days home, I was off all pain meds. After 1.5 weeks, I feel absolutely wonderful as if nothing were done to my neck at all! My recovery may be remarkable, but the skill of this doctor cannot be mistaken. He is amazing!