Overall Review

November 11th, 2016
22 years great Dr
As a 20 year old in 1994 I had mentally a tough cancer for a boy. Local urologists removed my right testicle and confirmed the cancer. They wanted to remove my lymphnodes and explained to me the great risks and benefits but the local hack had never done this surgery before but was frothing to get this experience. My parents and I met with Dr Russo and moved forward with surgery. I was fortunate that the cancer did not spread but in removing my lymphnodes Dr Russo also removed the stem to my testicle that the local hack urologist left behind. I know Dr Russo has moved on to a different specialty but he is a sniper when it comes to surgery. I see him on occasion annually every few years as he has to work with people that are in dire need of his specialty so don't expect you can have the best surgeon and then can see you every follow up for the rest of your life. Also back then and I am sure now expect to wait to see Dr Russo your first time. Once you are with him he will spend as much time as needed reviewing your options while other idiots pace in the waiting room. I know I was one of them being so impatient my first visits and initial follow ups. Today my visits are quick because I do not need to be seen by Dr Russo. Sloan does a few tests and an exam and sometimes I will see him in the hallway but when your life is in jeopardy be patient and calm and know there is no one better. I have a beautiful daughter and may not had it not been for this AAA+ surgeon as one risk I mainly recall was a small percentage if they touched the wrong nerve I would never have kids. Also FYI I was born with an undescended testicle and believe this was the reason for my cancer. If you hear of any baby being born with an undescended testicle I would just get it removed. I had my first surgery as a child to bring that testicle into the sac. I must have been 5 or 6 and still remember too much of that experience but never remember knowing I was missing a testicle as a child. Going in for surgery is stressful but know you are in best hands with Dr Russo

March 2nd, 2016
He removed a malignant tumor in 1998, I'm still cancer free. He removed a difficult bladder stone in 2014, I'm feeling great. He treated me like he knew me and cared about me and my family. In my book he is very very special, can't say enough good things about him, he is on my short list of heroes.

March 13th, 2015
Superb down to earth surgeon with extraordinary people and surgical skills. While each appointment entailed some waiting, knowing the quality and generosity of time that Dr. Russo gave each and every patient, made the small delay understandable and frankly quite reasonable. A remarkable young man.

January 29th, 2015
Dr Russo is highly knowledgeable and spent time with us regarding my upcoming surgery

March 17th, 2014
PROS: He did a nice job helping me maintain perspective re: recently diagnosed kidney tumor. Very personable. Strong support staff. Was able to offer a surgery day very soon after my initial offive visit consult. CONS: Outpatient followup visit was with urology resident only. Unfortunately, I had postop complications, followed by clinical missteps by another attending covering his practice. Russo does not perform laparoscopic/robotic surgery, only traditional surgery.

March 23rd, 2013
one in a million
I am here today because of Dr Russo ..I was diagnosed with Kidney cancer and was referred to Dr Russo tgru a friend eho was being treated at MSK for a different type of Cancer. My first meeting with Dr Russo went as follows Dr R "If you want me to p[ut you in the hospital in two weeks ,take out your kidney and send you home go someplace else because I do niot work like that AA "I don't want that BUT if you are Italian I don't want you operating on me ! I am Italian and I know you will just cut me open stuff me with garlic and parsley and sew me back up " He loved it and a few weeks later when I was told I lymphona by a different Hospital I called him at 11PM that evening he called me from his home to tell me he would ARRANGE FOR THE HEAD OF THAT DEPT TO SEE ME THE NEXT DAY .Which he did a day later I was receiving chemo and radiation I am alive because of his concern and friendship He is the best in every way.

March 8th, 2013
He is a wonderful doctor.

January 26th, 2009
Dr. Paul Russo
Dr.Russo removed a huge kidney tumor in 2008. Thankfully, pathology showed it was not cancer! However, 3 other specialists wanted to remove my entire kidney without knowing if cancer was a factor. Dr. Russo advised me to try and save the kidney, and he did!!! I pray for him every day! Helene