Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Miserable failure as a doctor and a human being show details Miserable failure as a doctor and a human being
by Robert Cummings on Jun 25th, 2015

Paul Shapiro ruined my right hand when he performed joint replacement surgery on December 18 2013. In my aftercare visits he was rude, condescending and verbally abusive. When my physical therapist learned he didn't issue the prescription for pt until a month after the surgery, and ordered NO weight or use restrictions she was shocked. Because of the lack of restrictions, I used my hand as much as possible, and hurt it doing so. When I complained about the pain, he held up HIS right hand and made a mockery of my pain. PT continued for months and little progress was made. When my therapist called him regarding my pain and lack of progress he offered no instructions and was verbally abusive to her too. On April first I flipped my calendar and saw I had an appointment with him mid month. Since this "doctor" had nothing to offer me but abuse and hour plus waiting times, I saw a REAL orthopedic hand surgeon who ordered directed therapy, but it was too late to correct the damage done by Paul Shapiro. My hand is stiff and sore and forever changed for the worse by this miserable failure of a doctor and human being. Paul, if you're reading this, if you'd said what you said in to me in the middle of a cornfield instead of your office, you'd still be in the cornfield one handed or not.

Does not "LISTEN" to his patient show details Does not "LISTEN" to his patient
by DSD on Apr 28th, 2015

This guy is a total DIVA. He has the GOD syndrome, He knows it all and the patient and even others don't. After having rotator cuff surgery, I told him many times I heard and felt (Grinding) in my shoulder. He said it was nothing and never even took an x-ray. I went thru 8 weeks of physical therapy by his direction and even the Physical Therapist called and told him I was no where close to getting where I should be and there was something wrong. He just said He's fine. Well after this I went and got a MRI done on my shoulder and it revealed it was still torn and full of fluid. I was recommended to a BETTER DOCTOR and upon giving him my MRI and he took several x-rays he found that not only was my rotator cuff still torn but now I need a total shoulder replacement because this full of himself doctor who doesn't listen to his patients. He didn't investigate further into my complaint of the noise and grinding in my shoulder.

Worst Person I've Ever Met show details Worst Person I've Ever Met
by Robert Cummings on Apr 17th, 2015

Rude, condescending arrogant. No PT recommended after joint replacement. I'm left with chronic pain.

Save yourself the time, do not see Dr. Paul Shapiro show details Save yourself the time, do not see Dr. Paul Shapiro
Mar 13th, 2015

Never going back.

stay away show details stay away
Jan 22nd, 2015

he was a very rude did not listen to me when I told him there was still something wrong in my shoulder told me he fixed me and I needed to get over myself told me I was the first person in his entire surgeon history to tell him he didn't fix me I transferred to lansing to michael austin who is awesome but does have a long wait but well worth the wait after 2 more shoulder surgeries to repair the damage in my shoulder that dr. shapiro had missed so apparently I was glad I didn't listen to him and get over myself

I had a good experience. show details I had a good experience.
by Janice Morehead on Oct 14th, 2014

Dr. Shapiro operated on both of my shoulders a few years ago and it all went very well. Recently I had a problem with my left shoulder and he gave me a shot & had an MRI done, sent me to therapy. I'm feeling so much better. I did wait way to long this time in the waiting room.

Stay away show details Stay away
by Patient on Jul 5th, 2014

Waited over an hour and think he botched my cortisone injection not once but twice. Serious issues relate to customer service when calling office If you could give zero stars I would

Put my trust in the wrong doctor show details Put my trust in the wrong doctor
Sep 4th, 2013

I needed surgery on my right shoulder because of years of arthritis. Shapiro proposed a partial shoulder replacement, saying my discomfort world be over. Surgery was 7/16/12. ER on the 19th. Infection already noticed. Blood, fluid leaking out through stitches for two weeks. A number of office and ER visits between 7/16 and 8/1, date of second surgery. Fluid and blood still leaking. 3rd surgery on 8/4. Doctor admitted it "had been a while since he had lost one as bad this". He missed suturing off the Cephalic vein in the first surgery. Didn't get all of the veins tied off or sutured until the 3rd surgery. Multiple office and ER visits, three hospitalizations in a little over 2 months, 15 total procedures/surgeries, last hospitalization lasting 6 weeks. Major sepsis infection required the implant be removed. Another doctor took over in October. He did the last 7-8 surgeries. Bone cement spacer put on my shoulder. No "cup" at the top of the joint any more. 50% permanent loss of movement. No more golf, playing catch with my grandkids, etc. Beaumont Hospital says I received appropriate care.

rude and doesn't listen show details rude and doesn't listen
Mar 26th, 2013

doctor Shapiro was short with me and it was hard to get test results and very hard to get somebody to call me back. I wish I never wasted my time.

Grateful husband and wife ! show details Grateful husband and wife !
Aug 3rd, 2012

We were counting our blessings the other night ...and people that have influenced or changed our lives . Mothers/ Fathers / teachers and friends came to mind. My wife Lynn raised her arm over her head and said with a big smile on her face " DOCTOR SHAPIRO !" I raised my arm and said " I AGREE !" Lynn tore her "Rotator Cuff " badly ,working out on the "Bow-Flex " ...with to much weight. It was , as Dr. Shapiro said " As bad as it could be !" After him doing surgery " IT'S AS GOOD AS IT CAN BE !" I wore my shoulder out shooting Archery ( 3 hr. a day ..Former National Indoor Champ ) I could hardly move my arm and was in pain a the time . Dr. S. replaced the worn out " cap" rather than the entire bone and cap ..and I am without pain or restrictive movement for the first time in 15 years ! We are forever grateful to him . We've recommended him to our son and a 95 yr. old friend that he helped . Jerry and Lynn Amster

Jun 29th, 2012

Spentall the time I needed. Made sure I understood tge procedure. Suggested I would need surgery years earlier but did not push it on me. When I realized I could no longer go on with the status quo, went back and had the surger. Doing very well. I always try to get the first appointment in the morning, otherwise they do seem to back up.

Anger problems show details Anger problems
Sep 12th, 2011

Had to go see Dr. Paul Shapiro for a follow at his southfiled office i waited over an hour to get in to see him and another hour sitting there listening to him and his staff making jokes and laughing over some of the dumbest things then when he finally got to me he was agitated enough to yell at me! I never went back to him again very unprofessional!