Neurological Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
THINK TWICE... show details THINK TWICE...
by Lisa on Nov 24th, 2015

My experienced took place in 2013 - Overall pretty bad from the begining. Staff very rude and very poorly run office to the point of disbelief. My success in my surgery once again is beyond disbelief came in told I need emergency surgery to have a decompression/fusion on my cervical spine. Exhibiting no signs of weakness or pain. Granted my X-ray told another story. Needless to say didn't want to take a chance and was told my surgery would be 95% successful. Dr. Sawin Bedside Manner has room for improvement. Needless to say was told he was highly regarded for this very complicated surgery yet referred as a precautionary surgery. How am I doing today almost 3 years later. Let me put it tyhis way I live in 24/7 in chronic pain mainly head & neck pain. When I rarely had a headache and now the pressure/pain is literally inhumane. I have done everything under the sun to find relief even ask Dr. Sawin to see me again which he agreed to do. To basically waste my time and drive to feel very dimissed he done all he could the rest is not his problem or concern where he gave me a list of other doctors over FL who are most likely his golfing buddies. The point I want to make is think twice in seeing this surgeon. And the not so flattering reviews you are reading are dead on with I too experienced for a year. No one should have to go through the insanity of that office and their staff and the doctors. And get away with it. I truly wish I thought twice and I wish I filed a law suit on them. My life has changed dramically from being very active to now exhausted w/ living with chronic pain, I should of had these symptoms before my surgery not after.

Nov 18th, 2015

Tried to get an apt at this doctor and the lady in charge of getting records is the nastiest b…. on the planet. She basically screamed at me and curse me out saying that she didn’t get my records when Orlando Orthopedic confirmed they sent it twice. They list a fax number on the web so I told her to go there and check and she refused. I wonder sometimes if some people are raised by animals or something… If this is how the receiving staff treat patients I’d rather find another doc regardless. Are you serious???!

Completely Rude and Insensitive Staff show details Completely Rude and Insensitive Staff
by Billy Cunningham on Feb 26th, 2015

Twice now I have called Dr. Sawins office with very poor results. The first time I had to call back after my call went unreturned. I had a couple of questions. When Dr. Sawin's PA finally called back she was rude and abrupt and acted like I was putting her out just of call me back after over 5 days. The entire conversation ( my questions ) required less than 2 minutes but apparently I was interrupting someone. The second call went completely un-returned. Instead I got an email 5 days later in which not only did the writer have no idea what question I had asked they provided no useful information. I believe that Dr, Sawin is probably one of the best Neuro surgeons in the US but you can't get past his staff so I'm looking for another Dr.

Very difficult experience show details Very difficult experience
by Linda S. on Oct 22nd, 2014

I had a cervical discectomy by Dr. Sawin in 2003 and was very satisfied with him and his staff. By 2014, everything has changed. The staff is rude and totally unsympathetic and abrupt. You cannot even schedule an appointment until all tests from other doctors are sent in, MRI's etc. and your other doctors recommend surgery. Then, you can make an appointment only if the tests show that you require surgery. I must say, I was able to get the surgery in one week which was remarkable. However, during the whole experience, beginning to end, I saw Dr. Sawin for 10 minutes, five before surgery and five after. I had two lumbar fusions and three laminectomies. My pain was NEVER under control during my five days post-op. Dr. Sawin's nurse coordinator saw me in the hospital, and when I called her for help, she was unavailable. I was in excruciating pain for most of my hospitalization. I saw only the nurse practitioner post-op and after experiencing even worse pain five months after surgery, I still could not get an appointment with Dr. Sawin in a reasonable amount of time. (I am from out of town). I am now having additional surgery in my home state because although the area of the surgery has healed, my pain is now above that area and might possibly have been addressed at the surgery. Dr. Sawin's practice is like an assembly line. I will say that the PA Brad, who I saw once, was excellent. I know that Dr. Sawin is an excellent surgeon, but he is absent for pre-op and post-op care and his staff members are totally unacceptable. I lose respect for him because he doesn't seem to care at all about changing anything in his practice, and I would never consider going there again. Spinal surgery is brutal, thus a patient needs considerate care from all staff members and you will never receive it at this practice.

Jan 23rd, 2014

I called the office today and must say... The office staff (Amber) is incredible rude and unprofessional. I will make sure anyone that ask, this is my response. Unbelievable that these educated physicians give so much power to their medical assistants!!!!!!

Apr 9th, 2013

9 months after surgery he has still not seen me - after major disc fusion surgery only his medical assistant shows up! This doctor runs hot and cold and is not a good communicator. I am in worse pain then when I went in and now partially disabled. I wish I had listened to others who said not to go to this doctor and not to do the surgery. His staff is awfully rude and uncaring, and they only tell you what they want you to hear and are not giving you the entire story. The best place to learn about all this is from the others in the waiting room who are happy to share their stories, some are good, too many are not.

Great Surgeon and Worth Hanging In There show details Great Surgeon and Worth Hanging In There
May 4th, 2012

Heed this advice!! I left this practice because it was such a difficult experience. Yes, Dr. Sawin's bedside manner is lacking; the overall patient experience can be truly dreadful because of rude employees and employees providing answers to questions not always based in fact, etc. However, Dr. Sawin's surgical and diagnostic skills are impeccable. I opted for a second opinion and it has been my worst nightmare! My advice to all, go into the patient experience knowing it may be frustrating. If it's not frustrating, you'll be pleasantly surprised; if it is frustrating, you'll have been forewarned. I regret not having tolerance for exasperation; for exasperation led me to seek a second opinion...an opinion which just happened to be wrong. You won this one Dr. Sawin. I was the fool.

Discouraged show details Discouraged
Oct 24th, 2011

The rating below where she says they have emergency car accidents, well this office doesn't even take people who are involved with any litigation from a car accident at all, so I don't know where that came from and yes the office is very poorly run and a woman there by the name of Betty isn't good for business at all That must be where the arrogance comes from Not the best place!!

He's the greatest! show details He's the greatest!
Apr 12th, 2011

I've read some of the comments from others and can't believe they were disappointed with any service from Dr. Sawin's and his staff. First of all, you are told in advance that your surgery could be cancelled with no notice because of emergency surgeries from car accidents, etc. No, you don't see him at every appointment but many offices work that way now. There are some where you never see the doctor and only deal with the nurse practitioner. My last followup appointment he spent close to a half-hour talking with me, explaining my latest X-rays, etc. You'll get no complaints from me.

Dr. Sawin is Amazing show details Dr. Sawin is Amazing
by Sue Lambert on Sep 30th, 2010

Dr. Sawin is a Genius. His surgery is as minimally invasive as possible therefore decreasing the recovery times.He has straightened by severely scoliosed back to an extent I never dreamed possible. Add to his incredible expertise; he is kind and compassionate.

Sep 30th, 2009

While he might be a wonderful surgeon, there are other equally qualified neurosurgeons who truly have empathy and concern for their patients. Dr. Sawin's little corner of this multi-doctor practice leaves alot to be desired, which is a shame, and his own fault. If he'd only take off the blinders.

worst staff and he's no better show details worst staff and he's no better
Aug 6th, 2009

this practice is the most erragant i have every been too, cancels surgery and has no back bone to tell me why and staff says they need to talk to the doctor

One of the Best I have come across. show details One of the Best I have come across.
May 14th, 2009

I personally have had 3 surgerys. He diagnosed the problem that has given me major pain for years.

Nov 1st, 2008

He's lousy! Al he does is complain about everything!