Overall Review

3.9

April 22nd, 2016
Compassionate Doctor Putting Patients above all else
I cannot put into words how fantastic I find Dr. Scolieri. I had surgery on my nose, and not only does it look fantastic, I can breath through it like never before. However, the reason I am so amazed is because at my appointment after surgery I asked him a question about my wife's dizziness. Not only did he answer my question, but examined her and fixed her dizziness at the same visit! I find it a rarity to have a doctor that takes such an interest in helping provide great care for not only just his patients but everyone in contact. He is outstanding.

January 14th, 2016
Amazing Brilliant Compassionate Doctor!
I never write reviews, but felt very compelled to express how incredible Dr. Scolieri is. He is the most intelligent surgeon and physician I have ever met. And considering I have many chronic problems since childhood, that is no small compliment. I went to him for my chronic sinus problem, because based on all the research I have done, he is the best in his field. What I didn't know was how extensive his medical fund of knowledge is. In addition to controlling my sinus symptoms, he spent a very long time with me, more than any other physician I have encountered, and was able to help with my other medical issues that I thought had nothing to do with ENT, and diagnosed me when my other specialist had no clue. When I told him I appreciated him helping me with my other issues, he said that the best way to treat a patient is to understand the whole person because treating the right problem usually resolves all the other symptoms. His confidence is very assuring. Simply an amazing doctor!

November 11th, 2015
Dismissive and arrogant
I have had issues with my ears my entire life! Unfortunately, my ENT from childhood passed away, so I was looking for a new Doctor when I had a recent issue with ear pain and discharge. Dr. Scolieri barely looked in my ears, said nothing was wrong, and suggested a totally different issue dismissing my repeated attempts to explain my symptoms and past experiences with ear problems. I am also deaf in one ear and had a very difficult time hearing/understanding what he was saying. I am not one to ever give a negative opinion about someone who is trying to resolve a problem, but in this case I felt very upset and helpless when I left. We know our bodies... if you don't feel like you were given a proper exam get a second opinion. I did... and found that I had a possible ruptured eardrum. I'm sure this Dr. has helped many people, but , in my opinion he needs to start listening when a patient is trying to explain something.

October 26th, 2015
Never again
My appointment began by having two (I'm assuming) medical students enter the room. Dr. Scolieri did not introduce them to me nor ask if it was OK that they sat in on my appointment. My time spent with him lasted a total of 3 minutes after a 45 minute wait. He even left the room to take a phone call in the middle of my appointment. He did not let me finish my sentences when I tried to explain my symptoms. When he was examining me, he did not verbalize what he wanted me to do and instead pushed my head in the direction he wanted it to go. He told me my diagnosis, which I believe is correct, but did not explain the cause of my diagnosis or symptoms. He did not explain how the treatment he prescribed will help me and left the room before I was able to ask any questions. I felt rushed, disrespected, and confused as I left. It was one of the worst doctor appointment experiences I have ever had and I will not be back to see him again.

July 9th, 2015
Best Doctor EVER
I owe my life and being able to spend it with my husband and children to Dr. Scolieri. I had been feeling lousy for 6 months. I had seen several doctors who ran numerous tests on me to no avail. After a while, I felt like I was being dismissed even though I knew something was wrong. I was eventually referred to Dr. Scolieri by one of the doctors for possible allergy or sinus problem. She told me that if there was something wrong, Dr. Scolieri would find it. Within a minute of meeting Dr. Scolieri and telling him my problem, he stopped me, asked me several questions, looked in my throat, and told me he was concerned that I may have lymphoma in my tonsil. He was so fast to diagnose me that I was worried that he wasn't listening, but I guess I was so caught off guard by how quick he made a diagnosis that no one had even thought about. Now I realize how brilliant he is to know immediately, and actually how he was the only one to really listen to my complaints. I knew I had the right doctor when he called me late that same evening at home, and spent a half hour on the phone with me and my husband explaining my problem in detail. He scheduled my surgery immediately. It was comforting to see him smiling on the day of my surgery, as he always is. Before I knew it, I was getting radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Although I haven't seen him since, I will never forget what he has done for me, and refer him every family member and friend I know.

September 19th, 2014
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
I had a severe nose bleed from the night before I saw Dr. Scolieri that morning. My wife called the emergency number and was told that the office would be open in 20 minutes and if I could wait to come there. In my opinion most doctors wouldn't want to be bothered and would send you to the ER. I showed up at the office bleeding into an already blood soaked towel. As soon as he arrived he took care of me. His nurse, aide and secretary were extremely courteous to my wife and me. He took time out of his scheduled day and was very attentive to cauterize my nose and stop the bleeding. I should also mention I am on a blood thiner which compounded the situation. He and his staff should be commended for their service and dedication to their patients. My wife and I can not begin to thank them enough!

June 24th, 2013
Cured my sinuses with in office balloon sinuplasty!
I have had chronic sinus infections with headaches, loss of smell, and congestion that Dr. Scolieri cured immediately with in office balloon sinuplasty. I had heard about the procedure on the national news, and was so happy to see from the balloon sinus surgery website that Pittsburgh finally has a surgeon that was doing it in the office. I had the procedure done after work, and I was back to work the next morning. Nobody knew I had anything done. I did not have any pain and was relieved of my misery immediately. Dr. Scolieri is a brilliant caring doctor, and his staff is also the tops!

May 13th, 2013
Best ENT surgeon in Pittsburgh
When I knew I was going to need surgery, I knew exactly how to find the best ENT. I didn't ask my doctor who would not have any idea about how any surgeon was in the operating room. Instead, I simply asked several operating room nurses that worked throughout the Pittsburgh area. When they all said Dr. Scolieri, and the fact that he even operated on one nurse's daughter, I knew I was the best hands. He is a gifted surgeon as all the operating room nurses had said, and a brilliant, and compassionate doctor as I found out myselt. My friends all say how they can't see my incision, and better yet, I am cancer free. Could not recommend anyone more highly.

February 7th, 2013
Did not listen
I was referred to this doctor after suffering from documented recurrent strep throat. Each time I had suffered strep throat I had a fever, painful swollen glands, extremely sore throat that came on suddenly and each time and the symptoms responded to antibiotics but returned when the course was completed. Well, he first told me that someone who had had strep four times in two months should have their tonsills removed and did I want my tonsils removed? Well, no I don't want them removed (sounds terrible), but if you tell me it will help me not be sick again and avoid going on a fifth course of antibiotics in 2 months, then I guess I would do it. Then he preceeded to say that he doubted I had even had strep (even though my six year old son and I had been passing it back and forth over the duration of the two months prior and had been confirmed each time by two doctors and even once I was in the emergency room). He said he was a doubter and wanted to see it for himself, so to call him next time I thought I had strep throat because he thought I was probably just suffering from GERD becaue my "tonsils were tiny." I went home and told my spouse and my spouse was like -- um...."do you forget how sick you were each time? With fever and pain? and a deformedly swollen neck? And each time it got better once you were taking antibiotics? That was not reflux." It made me realize the ridiculousness of the whole appointment and the degree to which he dismissed my symptoms. Also, waited over an hour. The office staff was very nice and he was actually nice enough, he just did not provide enough guidance and was acondescending. Was seeing somthing other than what was occurring, if that makes sense. Needless to say, I got a second opinion.

August 11th, 2012
Arrogant, rude, dismissive
My son had the misfortune of having this doctor on call when he suffered his second post-tonsillectomy complication, requiring a third surgery at St. Clair hospital within two weeks. Dr, Scolieri gave the impression that he would have rather been anywhere else and couldn't wait to be done with us. When I asked questions I was given vague or sarcastic replies, and despite the fact that it was late at night when surgery took place, he said he wouldn't admit my son because it should be outpatient surgery. He made it seem as if he got a bonus if his patient went home, saying "none of MY patients ever come back after a tonsillectomy." My son was kicked out of the hospital in the middle of the night. This is good patient care?

January 5th, 2012
Totally agree with the last two comments.I especially agree with dismissive! I am happy for the wonderful results the prior patients received.

January 28th, 2011
Outstanding Caregiver
He is the most amazing doctor I have ever met. I first met him when he save my mother's life. He has since taken care of my son after seeing several pediatric ENTs in the area. He was able to cure him when I was about to give up. We are so lucky to have such an outstanding surgeon in Pittsburgh. He is so humble and always smiling. I recommend him to everyone I meet. Thank God for Dr. Scolieri!