Dr. Paul Sorell MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

March 26th, 2016
Drugs are not always the answer
Has anyone posting here noticed that those patients that are most unhappy are the ones that are getting the quantity or dosage of opiates they are looking for? I mean to turn to H for pain relief? There has to be something else going on. I have never found the Dr to be less that professional. He takes the time to explain everything he is doing or recommending thoroughly and offers alternatives rather then just stating "this is the treatment" and that's it. He has me on a long action opioid with another for break through pain and something for muscle spasms. I have never felt the need to ask for more or a higher dose of meds. Most likely because the Dr also treats with me with muscle spasm injections that break up the spasm and gives me great relief. And yes it is an all cash office, however they accept my insurance and the most my co payment is is $15-$20 and that includes the injections. I think all of you who are complaining are just drug seeking. Whatever the problem your reviews are not doing justice to the treatment you can get with Dr. Sorrell.

November 19th, 2015
I have been a patient of Dr. Sorrell's for several years and found him to be an exceptionally competent and caring doctor. Dr. Sorrel will take the time to explain treatment plans and long term goals in a way that I find easy to comprehend.

September 28th, 2015
Horrible pain DR
I paid all this money to see you, and you push low doses of methadone on me and oxycodone 5mg x 2 a day !!!!!! Are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!! You knew i was on Opana and Oxy 30mg..... Your the worst pain dr, I agree with Janel remove pain medicine from you name. Your nothing but a Joke and waste of money , stay away !!

February 12th, 2014
On the Money.. Not about the Money
I came to Dr Sorell after having 2 major back surgeries and not willing to go for 3. We went over options to manage my pain. Within a few visits, I am down to the lowest point of pain in many years. He has given me my life back!!!! Thank you so much!!!

May 29th, 2013
USED TO SEE THIS DOCTOR
I used to see Dr. Sorell and as long as my insurance paid, everything was nice, as soon as I changed insurance, everything changed and I had to start paying out of pocket because they wouldn't get enough money from my current insurance. After a while they would only accept cash and the visits were shorter and shorter until ti got to about five minutes after waiting for a long time in the empty waiting room. I found that everything was about money to me. I had never owed this doctor anything and when he no longer had a credit/debit card machine, he would not accept a check from me. Also, the follow up visits went up from $75 to $130. It appears his wife controls the money and she makes sure she gets every cent. She is definitely not in it to help, but for the money. This is the honest truth; I felt like just another money cow.

May 22nd, 2013
Dr. Sorell is an excellent physician providing comprehensive care consistently
Dr. Sorell has been assisting my pain management needs/medical care for many years. I am grateful to know him as my physician! His professional dedication and competent medical outreaches sets him apart. I find him to be patient, thoughtful, and faithful in providing his excellent medical services. I have grown to trust him....and it isn't easy for me to trust!! He is exceptionally knowledgeable and imparts his learning generously. From personal experience, I discovered firsthand how he encourages full engagement in my own health care through his kind bedside manner. He operates as a team effort. He is supportive and helpful with his medical expertise and treatment plans. He doesn't blame patients for their physical limitations; he works with what is. I observe him to be devoid of ego/pretense and instead find him most sincere in carrying out his medical responsibilities. Dr. Sorell's staff is always pleasant and helpful as well. Grateful patient. Highly recommend!!

February 25th, 2013
Great Doc
I have been seeing dr Sorell for about a year and during this time I have Never known him to be moody , arrogant or rude. The most I ever waited is maybe maybe 30 40 min. And that's including whatever min. I arrived early. I came from a quack doctor in Massapequa ny who I was only going to because my long standing pain mgmnt doctor retired. Any how yes he is a cash only office, I went to him with full documentation of medical history and doctor visits and he has managed my pain like no doctor before, going back to 1988. He gives me my long acting (24 hr. ) pain Meds along with break thru medication and muscle relaxers. He listens and helps me through my pain ever adjusting my medication to accommodate my pain. This is what a good doctor is supposed to do. My .02 cents, D.B. Ps I only gave him 1star on "Follows up after visit" because I have never met a doctor even my surgeons from Hospital of special surgery call you. He will always tell you to Call if there any problems.

August 2nd, 2012
Injection Pain Management not pain medicine MD
This is a injections pain dr only- not pain medicine, at least not a good one- would only rx 20mg methadone or 40mg opana (insurance doesn't cover opana)I went to him because a webpage offline said manages Oxycontin-(the pain drug i have been prescribed 3 x 60mg )-He told me doesn't prescribe oxycontin -waste of gas getting there.

July 22nd, 2012
NOT HAPPY
My DR Retired, which led to a pharmacist recommending DR PAUL SORELL at 775 Park Ave in the Huntington Atrium building. I stopped in with my records but they didn't want copy's, only my name and info. ( I thought was odd, because they need to see what medications iam on, MRI Etc, right?) Anyways A few days later they called and said they can treat me, Its $450 cash first time and $130 follow ups. To sum up my visit as briefly as i can DR Sorell told me he does not prescribe Oxycontin, and does not prescribe soma muscle relaxers. I take both along with oxycodone IR30MG for break threw pain and have for many years, as personally this combo is the best pain medicines i have found to relive my unbearable pain, after trying numerous opioid drugs over the course since my accident left me with 3 herniation's, disc degenerative all over and bulging discs. He offered methadone long acting with oxy Ir for break-threw along with a different muscle relaxant and epidural steroids. I agreed to give it a shot as long as my MG dosage wasn't dramitcly decreased as i told him, as anyone taking these medications knows 'opioid dependence'. Well he used a converter on his PC that came out to only 7MG methadone to every 100mg oxycodone i am on. How can a computer take into account metabolism, weight, tolerance etc?? He also wrote a rx for 2 and a half oxycodone 5 MG IR daily, and told me NOT to take the oxycodone every day. Wonderful !!! From my research 40 oxycodone is equal to 20mg methadone metabolized in the human body in the real world, ruffly half the MG. He fells 7% methadone was appropriate conversion rate. The other thing. Methadone stays in your bones for 4 months, its one of the worst drugs in the world to come off, But he doesn't prescribe Oxycontin?? The one opioid that's tamper-proof.. So, One week passed buy of felling miserable from this dose, I called the office and told them how i felt (He was nice on my first visit and told me to call anytime if its not working he will help me in any way he can) They told me to come in the next day to talk to the DR. I was charged $130 as i walked in, to my disbelieve (I just paid $450 a week before??) He spent 3 minutes with me, as i told him how i was feeling. He agreed with me how everyone's body metabolizes pain medicine differently, He then told me this wasn't a drive Threw McDonald's and he will NOT prescribe more opioid's. I then asked for a refund and he quickly denied giving me the $130 i just paid back, because services were rendered he said. I can not believe this Practice. Highly UN-Recommended pain management doctor, My family doctor has treated me better with pain medicine. Otherwise hes a nice guy, But i didn't pay to talk to a nice guy, I paid to be treated better then i was. I don't like bad mouthing anyone, But you decide for yourself. That's what this site is for, Honest Reviews. As another comment from a while back says, I agree he was moody on my second visit. Not the same dr i met the first time, Or i wouldn't have bothered going back, and went elsewhere for treatment. Be warned, No matter what medicine you have been taking, He will put you on what he wants to prescribe, not what the patient wants, and knows what works for them. Oxycodone 5mg is the highest he will write. So many better dr's out there. I wish i didn't waste $600 and seen a review like mine sooner!

February 19th, 2010
Remember that Dr. Sorell runs a difficult practice by himself; therefore the wait times will be longer.

October 21st, 2008
Sorry I ever went to him
During my first visit with Dr Sorell, he was very nice. Every visit to follow, I would wait a minimum of 3-4 hours. I would pretty much have to take the whole day off anytime I had an appointment with Dr Sorell. He is very moody. He does, however, seem to know his stuff. He is a smart guy. I would attribute his moodiness among other things to drug abuse or use of heavy medications.