Overall Review

November 10th, 2016
PSA
The doctor gives you a less stress atmosphere and the encouragement you need when your going through this

April 17th, 2016
Cannot be bothered with his patients, too busy to return a phone call

November 6th, 2015
Kind Good Dr.
Under normal conditions I believe Dr. Swanson is likely a very compassionate Dr. I love him although I had extenuating circumstances (not medical) He still did well. Forgiven Dr. I would recommend Him. It was 2005~2006

January 17th, 2015
Yells at his staff

December 26th, 2014
Wait time is moderately long & Dr is usually behind schedule. Otherwise, seems competent & very easy to talk to.

October 8th, 2014
Good experience
Met with Dr.Swanson for the first time yesterday and was so pleased with the experience. He was extremely nice, professional, and I felt like he really was engaged. Listened to me and did his best to explain my diagnosis in laymen' terms. His nurse was also exceptional. I was able to get an appointment easily because of a cancellation.

January 21st, 2014
Top Notch
I had been diagnosed with Waldenstroms Megagolobulinemia, a very rare type on non-Hodgkins lymphoma and wanted a second opinion on diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Hodgkins provided such in an extremely professional manner, explaining everything in layman's terms and inspiring confidence that I was receiving the correct treatment. I am surprised at the comment made about side-effects, as a doctor must tell a patient of possible/probable side-effects. Side effects are sometimes horrendous, and a patient should be apprised beforehand

November 24th, 2012
I consulted for second opinion.
I went to see Dr Swanson for a second opinion after I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer. While he does not treat my type of cancer I found him to be very helpful and took a lot of time explaining my options for treatment. His insight and knowledge helped me to make a final decision. He was also helpful in my choosing who I would go to for treatment. FYI I went with IMRT with Cyber Knife Radiation and not surgery. I'm happy to say after 18 months since treatment I am FULLY functional and so far I have had no side effects.

November 9th, 2012
Just wished he was a little more black and white. Offered alot of grey in his diagnostic opinion.

August 1st, 2012
Caring, Well Educated and Honest
Took care of my father with terminal cancer. Couldn't have asked for a better doctor. Years later, he still remembers every detail of my father. Great doctor. Great at explaining what is wrong, how to treat it, and honest with what you will go through.

June 14th, 2012
Excellent diagnostician
He is able to explain my condition and treatment in a manner that is easy to understand. Has a very caring way about him and at all times is always professional while making me feel that he really cares about me.

January 13th, 2012
Burnout?
An oncologist's role is demanding and I can only begin to imagine how difficult it is to deal continually with patients whose illnesses are often terminal. But when the job takes too much of a toll, it may be time to switch specialties or take time off. Although Dr. Swanson's bedside manner is outstanding, his attention to detail in terms of patients' test results and changes in status has not always been ideal. We have had to point out specific test results and remind him about some relevant issues from visit to visit that left us feeling less than comfortable that he was truly on top of the situation. Rather than reviewing patients' charts prior to seeing them, he can sometimes be found playing computer games at the nurses' station. Yes, we all need a break from time to time, but not at the expense of thorough, quality care. It has been disconcerting to have him, at best, skim over results of more comprehensive medical tests and only focus on the blood tests that determine the next chemo dose. We request copies of reports to be sure nothing is being overlooked. Coming from a larger metro area where we were cared for at teaching/research hospitals by medical staffs that were highly interactive, the smaller practice atmosphere in this oncology practice seems surprisingly aloof and distant with minimal interaction among the physicians. The practice would benefit from a more team centered approach. Instead, the size of the practice seems to be based on minimizing on-call days and hospital rounds. Actual communication among the physicians appears to be minimal - they just check each others' notes.