Family Practitioner
351 Santa Fe Dr
Ste 101
Encinitas, CA 92024
(760) 274-1385
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

• Currently 3.2758620689655 of 4 stars
 |  Medical scientist  |  show details
by Linda Li on Feb 26th, 2014

Dr. Sexton is one of the best physician I have ever met for more than 30 years as a patient and medical scientist. His care for patient is very unique, he not only prescribe medicine for patient, but also educate patient how to take care of self, including physical and spirit, he sets an excellent example for every doctor to follow. Under his excellent care, I not only gained my health back, but the confidence in improving my well being and keep on to thrive as a human being.

|  LIAR! UNPROFESSIONAL  |  show details
by Linda L on Nov 22nd, 2013

YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR LICENSE REVOKED FOREVER Perry - YOU SICK CREEP!. He makes a fair first impression, then nosedives from there. Dr. Sexton, misdiagnoses, overprescribes medications, then takes no responsibility for having done so. He broke my confidentiality and lied about me. He brought my name up to a friend of mine, then lied about me to him. I was prescribed multiple medications that made me ill - all in the absence of bloodwork, or a complete physical - I should have known better. The LVN, Rick, does not listen, but yells about how fantastic he is so that the entire office can hear. There is another LVN in the office - but Perry can't keep that position filled - different nurse all the time. There is no privacy at the office. All your business is broadcast about the place. The receptionist is incredibly rude - she rolls her eyes, gives dirty looks. Britlyn is the only decent person there, but given she has aligned herself with the above mentioned unprofessional freaks, maybe I will think twice about her. Beware.

|  Do Not Trust!  |  show details
by Jina on Oct 3rd, 2013

If you're lucky, you might have a few good visits in the beginning. However, if you have a chronic disease of some kind, you'll eventually learn that this doctor will tell you what you want to hear to calm you down and send you back home with little help. If drugs is your solution, then may be this doctor is for you but if you actually want a doctor who cares and not only pretends to, do not go here. If you somehow was put in one of those white robes, take note of how dirty the robes are. They tell you they don't put patients in a paper gown because they want it to be "spa-like". Just be brave and sniff around the armpits. Do not let yourself get any kind of shots or treatments here. And if you want your private business heard by everyone at the office, make sure your nurse is Rick -- an obnoxious, liar, pompous nurse. Dr. Sexton is also full of himself that I overheard him trying to sell a book he wrote about his "exciting" college experience at Yale to an elderly man for $15. The receptionist is talkative, which would be fine but she likes to talk about her problems to patients. At first glance, you think this place is somewhat decent but after a few visits, you realize just how incompetent Dr. Sexton and his entire staff are. Bring your elderly parents somewhere else if you want them to receive proper care. No follow ups after visit unless you call first and leave the doctor a message then that obnoxious nurse Rick will get back to you without even speaking to the doctor first but everyone else around him will know what Rick tells you.

|  Best Doc Ever  |  show details
by T. S. Hansen on Sep 17th, 2013

Dr. Sexton is very friendly and very caring, He takes a real interest in my problems his staff is very courteous. He takes all the time with me that he needs, No 10 min. appointments He has an e-mails system called "pt. portal" I ask him questions about my health and he e-mails me back within half a day sometimes sooner, He takes a personal interest in his patients and it shows. My mother was one of his patients (she had a severe long term illness) when she passed he sent my family flowers. I have referred many people to Dr. Sexton and will continue to do so. He is great.

|  Scary, No Confidentiality  |  show details
Sep 13th, 2013

GO TO DR SEXTON IF YOU DONT CARE IF HE LISTENS TO YOU. GO TO HIM FOR EASY ACCESS TO ANY DRUG WITH MULTIPLE REFILLS. MEDICAL ADVICE IS DISPENSED BY HIS RECEPTIONIST WHOSE BACKGROUND IS HAVING BEEN A RECEPTIONIST AT AN AUTO DEALER. HIGH NURSE TURNOVER AND RICK IS OBNOXIOUS!!!

|  too good to be true  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2013

When I first started going to Dr. Sexton, I thought his "out of the box" approach was wonderful. Long story short, if you think someone is too good to be true, he probably is. Their lack of following HIPPA Confidentiality Guidelines are serious (I could hear every word that Rick was saying as he spoke to a family whose elderly mother by the name of Ruth was being hospitalized - and specific confidential information was heard as Rick spoke in the open office with no doors. Also, I sat in the "Living Room" as the receptionist called a woman to tell her that she is pregnant. I would be curious to know if he gets a kick-back from "Swami's" - the contact he uses when he refers cannabis for certain medical reasons.

|  He Sells a Book Explaining Why He Got Kicked Out of Residency  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2013

I go to see him once for weed Rx, and he is selling a biography of his bad experience getting kicked out of Yale. Um, what else would you possibly need to hear. Oh yeah, he also pushed rehab in addition to writing medi-weed scrips. Rehab with his own people, so he makes money there too. What a guy! Not making this up.

|  The search is over for an excellent doctor who listens to you.  |  show details
Sep 10th, 2012

What I have been looking for, in this healthcare world of brief doctor face to face time without explanation of my condition, has finally been satisfied. Dr. Sexton and his staff are gracious, take the time to answer your questions, give you helpful tips to improve your health, educate you on your health care needs and condition, and go the extra mile to give you the proper diagnosis. I am extremely happy to have found this office and group of professionals led by Dr. Sexton. I recommend this office to anyone seeking a doctor who takes the time to listen.

|  A DOCTOR WHO PARTNERS WITH HIS PATIENTS  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2012

I'm 71 years old, found myself in the hospital for the first time in my life and in need of a local doctor after moving to North County San Diego from the LA area. Dr. Sexton was one recommendation of several that I received from hospital medical staff. Dr. Sexton's office called me on Memorial Day to schedule a follow-up office visit! I immediately asked his receptionist how old was the doctor and what were his medical credentials. She replied immediately that he was 36 years old and many of his patients were of my age. Feeling that I had little to lose with an initial meeting, I was stunned by the 90 minute session Dr. Sexton shared with me. He was attentive, clearly spoken, very forthcoming and most keen to understand my medical needs. He then communicated information regarding those needs in easy to understand language and kept going until I fully understood the various issues involving my condition, related care and recovery.My wife has subsequently become his patient as well.Between visits, Dr. Sexton communicates with us by telephone and e-mail.Dr. Sexton is a prize find!His office is neat, calm and relaxing, as is Dr. Sexton and his staff.BTW, how do I feel about having a 36 year old doctor? Well, I think about how exceptional he is now and how much better he will be by 50 when I'll be 85!My wife feels exactly the same.If you need a family practice physician, I cannot imagine a better choice than Perry Sexton and staff, and we recommend him without any reservation.

|  Most Amazing Doctor!  |  show details
Feb 15th, 2012

Dr. Sexton actually takes the time to listen to you and what's going on. His staff is so courteous. He not only gives you things that you need, but shows you things that will help you in your day to day life. I have never found a doctor I like so much. Also, when it comes to appointments, 9/10 you get in the next day. I couldn't have found a better doctor and I strongly recommend him to anyone looking for a doctor.

|  Dr. Sexton is very knowledgeable and has excellent caring skills for the elderly.  |  show details
Feb 9th, 2012

My 85 year old mother was referred to Dr.Sexton by her lung doctor, Dr Horn of Scripps Hospital. My mom is a retired RN and worked with doctors for 60 years. She really appreciates Dr. Sexton's questions and solutions for her physical care. He also has a excellent knowledgeable staff who assists him during our doctor. Dr. Sexton and staff seem to enjoy their jobs very much.

|  LOVE THIS DOCTOR AND HIS STAFF  |  show details
Oct 5th, 2011

I came to Dr. Sexton as I needed a new HMO family doctor. I was not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. He is a very thorough and caring doctor as is his staff. I always hated going to the doctor, but no more. He wants to know everything and does not rush you through the visit. He cares about me as an individual and not only as a patient he needs to see for 5 minutes and get to the next. this is the first time in a long time I do not feel as if I am in an office where nobody knows who I am. Another amazing thing is the few times I have been there they are always on time!! I would recommend him to anyone looking for an excellent caring doctor and staff. I have read the other reviews and I am shocked this doctor has received anything but excellent ratings

|  show details
Aug 22nd, 2011

No other doctor has ever spent so much time with me. He didn't just focus on what I was coming in for. He got to the root of the problem and took care of my health as a whole. Overall, amazing doctor!

|  bad doctor  |  show details
Jul 1st, 2011

In the last 6 months I went in with my wife for a visit with Dr. Sexton. We went in for a minor health issue. During the interview with the Dr. my wife informed him that she had benign lumps removed from her right breast. Both my wife and I had an overwhelming feeling that he wanted to check her breast and the lumpectomy procedure. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. Especially when we came in for something completely unrelated. We have since found a doctor that is a much better fit for our primary care.

|  great doctor  |  show details
May 12th, 2011

Very caring, easy to talk to ...terrific doctor

|  Dr sexton Is A Great Doctor  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2011

I have missed him so much since he left Kp I have not had a Doctor like him he really took out the time to explain my medical issues with me and when I emailed him he promptly returned my emails.He has no idea how much he is missed I have since stopped going to Kaiser as they chose a Doctor for me that performed way to low for me.

|  Concierge Care without a Fee  |  show details
by Dr. Gary Alan Flower on Feb 2nd, 2011

I am a board certified oral surgeon, and feel that I have plenty of experience in patient care from both sides of the fence. My first appointment with Dr. Sexton lasted for over TWO hours. ALL GOOD! We covered my past medical history, personal goals, present medical conditions, had a thorough examination AND received treatment for my more immediate needs ALL AT THE SAME APPOINTMENT. And I thought I spent alot of time with patients! I feel like I was able to take all my bits and pieces of information gathered from far too many (excellent) specialist providers, and combine them into a comprehensive, understandable and logical order of priority so that I can manage them from one central location with Dr. Sexton's expertise. His support staff is great. Between "the stick" and the LaCrosse ball, his nurse Rick has pinpointed and educated me with regards to treating problem areas causing me alot of chronic pain. Like most of us, I am so used to trying to cram into 5 minutes everything I am thinking or have questions about, that to hear a provider say, "Okay, let's back up.....", in an effort to really understand what is going on, is a rarity. I would recommend Dr. Sexton to my family. I would recommend Dr. Sexton to you. This guy cares.

|  unhappy patient  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2010

this doctor is incompetent and unsafe. DO NOT see him!

|  Excellent Physician!  |  show details
by a happy patient on Aug 16th, 2010

Dr. Sexton is the most caring, compassionate, competent doctor I have ever seen. I would reccomend him to anyone!

|  This doctor is greatly valued in my eyes.  |  show details
Dec 29th, 2009

This doctor is easy to talk. He gives me great examples of how to stretch and what to eat that is benificial for the health issues I am having. He is a truly caring doctor and I am glad to have found him! I hope he knows his value. Thank you doctor Sexton.

|  Mrs. A.  |  show details
by Sra. Aceves on Nov 25th, 2009

Acertado en su diagnostico como doctor y excelente como ser humano :)

|  show details
Aug 13th, 2009

This doctor has always review my records before seeing me. He questions me to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. He spends ample time with me. Twice he has ordered tests for me seemingly based on intuition with the results revealing a problem. When I have questioned him by email, he has answered quickly. He is polite, kind and caring, providing personalized care in a large HMO setting. (I am an elderly male.)