Dr. Peter Barelka MD, BA Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

January 10th, 2010
He Was Terrific
I had a great experience with Dr. Barelka. It stared with a referral from my normal doctor who thought that he may be able to help. I can't say that I particularly think my normal Dr. is that terrific. I know that he is enormously overworked and I can understand that. The interesting thing was that as soon as Dr. Barelka entered the room I felt like he was there to listen to me and do whatever he could to help. He took several minutes to explain to me exactly what was wrong with me, (though I didn't quite understand everything) he put it into very simple terms. All in all, his bedside manner is terrific. For 5 months both of my legs hurt so bad that it was difficult to walk. Dr. Barekla helped me with a 1 hour procedure. I can't say that all the pain is gone. But 85% ain't bad! Additionally, he but me in touch with others who could help me with the remaining 75%. I feel lucky having found him he was truly terrific.

July 20th, 2008
Super great doctor!
Takes time to know you! Wants to get you off your medications rather than keep you bed-ridden, refilling your unnecessary narcotics. Tries to make your life into something shared by the living rather than drug you into complacency! Thank you Dr. Barelka!

February 26th, 2008
Run
If you want a pain specialist who is not interested in the drugs you are currently taking while attempting to prescribe for you other drugs with the potential to KILL you when combined with what you're taking he's your man. He REFUSES to answer your questions whether during your appt. or after, offers a possible medication for you but doesn't have TIME to write the prescription, when you call to ask for it his nurse tells you he won't prescribe it for you and won't tell you why. You never get to find out why or get your questions answered because Stanford Pain Center gives you a new doctor every time you go with no consistency of care. When you call for a new prescription of your long term pain management drug other Stanford "doctors" have raised, his nurse informs you you are being taken off this drug, you can start your taper today or wait until your next appt. with the next quack at the end of the week. No replacement drug mentioned, just continue bedridden in agony having been slapped in the face with this jolt, no discussion, no assurance that he has anything else to help you, powerless, and persecuted are the dominant feelings. He was the second person I saw at Stanford Pain, the first overdosed me knowingly.

March 28th, 2017