Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgeon
Michigan Spine and Brain Surgeons PLLC
22250 Providence Dr Ste 601
Southfield, MI 48075
248-569-7745
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

• Currently 2.6774193548387 of 4 stars
 |  good doctor  |  show details
by Lois Caine on May 2nd, 2014

Dr. Bono , very polite,good diagnosis,easy to talk too. Answer all questions.I would recommend him and use him for surgery again. very good doctor.

|  New Patient  |  show details
by Ms Tish on May 1st, 2014

Dr Bono got straight to the point of what I needed done to eliminate my pain. He was very passionate & concerned about how I felt. He listened to me very carefully.

|  NO communication regarding teenage son's vertebral fracture!  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2014

BEWARE! NO communication and NO follow-up care! Dr. Bono ordered a nuclear bone scan for my teenage son for a complaint of back pain. I found out by "accident" 10 weeks later that the bone scan was positive, showing a vertebral fracture, when I had taken my son to our primary care physician for a sports physical. In the meantime, my son was actively training and lifting weights with a vertebral fracture! Dr. Bono was adamant that this test be done urgently at Providence Park, so that there would be no delay in treatment if there was a problem...what a joke! Very angry, I called his office demanding answers. I was told that my son was supposed to have returned for an appointment and should have been fitted for a brace and should have been wearing this brace for the past two months! I was NEVER informed of any such plan of action. In addition, I was told by his staff that there would be absolutely NO financial implications for having this test done at Providence Park, opposed to my own place of employment (another local hospital). I ended up having to pay $520 for the balance of a deductible and co-pay that BCBS refused to pay for having this test at Providence Park opposed to a zero balance had I taken my son to my own hospital for care. I asked all the right questions from his staff ahead of time and was given all the wrong information...no problem...they didn't get stuck with the bill from Providence Park, I did! Knowing how irrate I was, Dr. Bono returned my call and urgently ordered a follow-up CT scan (done at my own hospital this time) which was done the next day to check on the status of the fracture. He didn't even bother to look at the results until 10 days later when my son returned for an appointment because he couldn't remember he had even ordered the test! I would NEVER see this doctor again or recommend him to anyone...he clearly doesn't care about the well-being of his patients. He only cares about ordering tests that he doesn't bother follow through with and then sticking the patient with the expensive bill from the hospital for these tests. Had I not taken my son for a physical, I probably still wouldn't know about my son's fracture today. SHAME ON YOU DR. BONO!

Apr 20th, 2014

|  Retired Mtesc Plant Manager  |  show details
by James L. Smith on Mar 22nd, 2014

For me, my family, friends or anyone with a severe back problem that night require surgery should contact Dr. Peter Bono. Here's why; Arthritis was attached to my lower lumbar, L 1 - 5 pinching against the nerves in my back that when to my legs... Causing excruciating pain, the inability to walk leaving me virtually bed ridden, with zero quality of life... I went to providence Southfield emergency for help with the pain. They said what I all ready knew. I had Severe spinal stenosis, with crippling Arthritis. They recommended I stay the night so doctor Bono could review my test Results the next day. After reviewing my, MRI, Cat Scan and Xrays, Dr. Bono sat down with me, recommended surgery, and explained step by step what needed to be done, and why... Up to this point I was scared to death to have anyone cut into my back. But, Doctor put me at ease explaining the procedure, and for the first time in months I felt I might be able to walk and have a normal pain free life... To make a long story short, the morning after my surgery the physical therapists had me up walking down the halls in the icu... It's been 3 months since my surgery, my back and legs are pain free. I feel good, zero limitations on my daily activities, except shoveling snow. The success of the operation far exceeded my expectations... I'm not sure what my outcome would have been had I went to another hospital, the scalpel in the hands of another surgeon. But, I do know my outcome at this hospital, with this surgeon, WAS PERFECT!!! Thank You Dr. Bono... James L. Smith

|  Saved me from becoming a paraplegic  |  show details
by Robert A. Cline on Mar 21st, 2014

In the space of one day Dr Bono found on my MRI I would become a paraplegic within 3 or 4 days if I did not have immediate spinal surgery on C4-C5, he cleared his schedule and had me in surgery that afternoon. I am now fully recovered and thank my family doctor who sent me to Dr Bono. If it was not for his direct admit of me to the hospital I would now be a paraplegic. Dr Bono has shown knowledge and compassion to me and my family and we can never thank him enough. I would recommend him to everyone for he cares for his patients the day of surgery and through rehab. He also takes time to reassure the family and explain things to them. The BEST there is!!!!

Jan 9th, 2014

i waited two hours, then dr. bono came into the room and had not even looked at the xray they took. i brought my mri and he did not look at that. yawning the whole time (5 minutes) like i was intruding on is sleep time. his staff was also cold and direct. his remedy was "enjoy the good days". not many of those. i asked if i should continue the injections, he said "if it makes you feel good". not going back.

|  Would refer Dr Bono? YES!  |  show details
Jan 2nd, 2014

Dr. Bono clearly explained my issues and what surgery would correct, as well as what to expect 1st 30 days after surgery. I would not hesitate to return to Dr. Bono should the need arise. BUT I would wish to avoid most of the office staff. My experience in Providence Hospital.....not the best and would NOT recommend the surgery floor. All of the techs and just a couple nurses were professional. One doctor (Dr. Tippin? Pippin?) examining my incision actually LEFT ME (on my side, with the bandage 1/2 off IN PAIN) TO ANSWER HER CELL PHONE. "Oh, HI! Are you still in the office?" as she left my room. Later tried to say she just had to answer just incase it was an emergency. Really? 5 stars for Dr. Bono "0" stars for supporting staff/hospital

|  worst doctor  |  show details
Dec 14th, 2013

he did surgery on my wife messed up the first time and redid the surgery. Very rude person got my money and was out. DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR

|  take the money and run...who cares?!  |  show details
Nov 22nd, 2013

xrayed to confirm diagnosis, said i didnt have a problem, sent me to PT, after $400 cash and that didnt help, re assessed my xrays and decided he should do surgery but didnt look for any other possible issues besides the obvious that could be contributing to severe pain. other doctors in training asking questions on visits implying i was not in pain or was faking complaints. my post op recovery wasnt as fast as he thought it should be. he didnt understand why i wasnt walking again yet and dismissed me to pain management. approx. 9 months later had an accident and called for appointment to review xrays from ER and to deal with severe spasms and after a week i had to call to see why nobody called me back. their response was dr was very busy, he looked at xrays, you're fine. absolutely no regard for my pain or current condition. non personal, unsympathetic, just get em into surgery, take their money and move on to the next cash-cow.

|  Wonderful experience!  |  show details
by Laura Vander Roest Smith on Aug 25th, 2013

Dr. Bono was referred to me by my brothers, both osteopaths; I find him to be friendly, unpretentious, caring, intelligent and truly humble! The office staff were good- I wish they'd wear name tags- but people were friendly. Michele Tomaszewski spent the most time with me and was very nice; knowledgeable and friendly also. The wait to see the doctor was long but well worth it because he spends as much time with me as I need to have to understand what's going on. I highly recommend Dr. Bono and his associates ans staff!

|  Patient  |  show details
by Ken Baca on May 25th, 2013

Dr. Bono and his staff are courtious and knowledgeable. They have always tried to address my questions and concerns. Dr. Bono has performed a spinal surgery on me in the past and with another coming up soon I feel completely confident to have him perform my next surgery. Dr Bono was recommended by my family doctor after he had operated his father's spinal condition. Good reason to me!

|  Horrific Experience  |  show details
by C. Jackson on May 21st, 2013

STAY away from this doctor and his staff. Refused to see my minor child because I refused to consent to the "research and study" form for his students to view my child's medical condition. After waiting for over a month for the appt., he let his nurse manager make the final decision as to whether he would examine my child or not. They even tried to use scare tactics to convince me to sign that consent form, stating that if surgergy was performed today, the "research and study" form must be in place or they could not operate. He NEVER came into the exam room to examine my child but surgery was the first thing that came out of his staff's mouth. Then, Dr. Bono contacts our primary doctor to explain that he thinks he could help this child and for my child to come back...as long as we sign that consent form. Patient care at that office is a JOKE. I've said enough, go at your own risk.

|  Dr. Bono fixed my back - no more pain.  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2013

Dr. Bono immediately told me what was wrong with my spine and what would fix it - had it done and I am now pain free.

|  Awesome Doctor  |  show details
Feb 8th, 2012

Dr. Bono is an awesome doctor. I had a catastrophic accident that caused peri-paralyzation in my lower extremities. Dr. Bono performed two surgeries that restored the use of my legs. He has an awesome bedside manner. When you are in his office you are the focus. I have never had an interruption in over 20 visits.With the light...there is dark. Don't have an emergency visit. The soonest I could get a visit was 35 days, the longest was almost two months. The Providence Office staff is not exactly the best. They do not give all the information at appropriate times.

Oct 18th, 2011

This is the rudest doctor I've ever seen. I can't believe that this doctor practices medicine. Im reporting him to the chief of state. I won't let it go unchecked!

Sep 14th, 2011

I would recommend him to any one needing back surgery

|  Rude Doctor  |  show details
Apr 12th, 2011

Rudest doctor I've ever seen in the medical profession. Would not recommend him to anyone.

|  He gave my life back to Me  |  show details
by Dr Ronald Lechner on Apr 1st, 2011

Unbelievably short recovery time, Im now 6 days a week with hardly any medication extracting teeth at least 6 hours of those days and without a backbrace now.Got my chance for a new life. BTW surgery was 12/16/10

Dec 3rd, 2010

I went to Dr. Bono because I attended one of his conferences on spine conditions and I needed a doctor that would help me get out of pain. My first visit to me was ok, until after I visited him a second time to get my results of a discogram, which he indicated to me that I needed surgery. At this appointment, he was rude and told me I needed surgery and didn't even explain to me what type of surgery until I asked him. I am now five months out of surgery from having a Laminectomy with Fusion at three levels and still I am unable to return to work because I am still having severe back pain. Dr. Bono told me that even with the surgery and because of the three levels of injury, that I would always have back pain, however, he sent me back to work. I am a secretary who works in a school setting and requires much walking, standing and lifting. I indicated this to him and he was rude and said, "Nothing is wrong with your back". Well if nothing is wrong with my back then why did he operate on me and put pins and screws in my back where I am now unable to bend, walk far, stand and sit for long periods of time? He is an errogant doctor who seem to only be interested in cutting on you and is polite to you initially to get your business, and once that is done, he is nasty. I will never go back to see him. He has a very rude staff also. Return phone calls are only answered every 24-48 hours and if there is an emergency that is how long you would have to wait to hear from the office staff. I asked for a copy of what was in my file for disability benefits, and I was told that there would be a $30 charge for that. Whoever heard of such; a patient is charged for getting their own medical records! I had a bad experience with this doctor and his staff. I will never recommend this doctor.

|  I am afraid of this office  |  show details
Sep 20th, 2010

There is a woman on the reception desk who I think may be unstable. This woman challanged me about my insurance coverage, and then practically attacked me in the exam room because she did not see what she wanted to see on my x ray disc; as though she is the doctor. I had seen my disc, and I know what was on the disc.I have to believe this doctor knows how crazy this woman acts, so I must assume this to be his polcy.I left this office.

|  Laminectomy with fusion  |  show details
by Martin H on Sep 25th, 2009

My back is in better shape than it has been in for seven years, thanks to Dr. Bono.

|  Dr. Peter Bono saved my life  |  show details
by MV on Oct 8th, 2008

I was sent to Dr Bono via a friend that had reconstructive surgery for a nearly paralyzing tumor in his spine. He is now walking thanks to dr bono. I had a severe spinal cord compression from a disc herniation in my neck with weakness in my hands. because of the urgency of my condition Dr. bono took me to surgery quickly and fused my C5-6. My hands work again, my arm pain is gone and my life is back. he truly cared for me and saved me from a wheelchair. he's a miracle man.

|  Rude  |  show details
Aug 19th, 2008

Dr. Bono was very rude when I went to see him. Did not ask me any questions just came in and said he was going to do surgery, not what kind or anything. When I asked what type of surgery he answered like I should of know. Will NOT go to him again nor would I recommend him to anyone.