Dr. Peter Forster MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

March 14th, 2015
Dr. Forster's the Best
Dr. Forster is by far the best psychiatrist I have had in over 50 years of therapy. I have been under his care for more than 10 years. I have been under psychiatric care since I was diagnosed with major clinical depression at age 14. (We have recently added a Bipolar II diagnosis.) He is the most caring, trustworthy and emotionally present psychiatrist I've ever had, and I've had a few. During a crisis period he was able to see me, though it took time from his own personal life. He truly cares about his patients and it shows.

September 27th, 2012
Great psychopharmacolgist & psychotherapist
Dr. Forster has helped me change my life for the better. I spent 30 years being misdiagnosed & trying various medications & therapies suggested by various psychiatric professionals. Finallly, I found Dr. Forster, who was able to accurately diagnose my illness & helped me get both the appropriate medications as well as the best evidence-based therapy to treat it.He is the kindest and most compassionate physician I have ever met. I would highly recommend him to anyone with a known or suspected mood disorder.

March 28th, 2010
The Very Best
I was very lucky to find Dr. Forster - with out his help I know that I would not have gotten my life back. He is cool, loving, smart, caring and very available -- he treats patients like they are his friend, rather than just another patient. I highly recommend him.

March 25th, 2010
State of the Art Psychiatry
Steady, thorough, kind, insightful...He values each person, even when they are feeling their worst. These are words and thoughts that come to mind to describe Dr. Forster. His strengths: His ability to dig deep to see the whole picture. He cares about you and listens deeply. Personal experience: When my brother came out of Stanford Hospital with psych symptoms after a brain injury, my family was told that the only physician to see was Dr. Forster. They weren't kidding. Dr. Forster has been there for my brother personally- and for us as a family. Dr. Forster worked with my family to get a detailed history of every complicated pharmaceutical combination my brother had ever had. As a result, he stabilized my brother and gave him back his life. This extra work, this thoroughness and attention to detail has had clinical results: my brother hasn't been hospitalized since they first met (seven years ago). My brother now lives as normal a life as possible, with support from Dr. Forster.I'd like to mention that his office team is terrific. I have seen them manage a crisis: a patient who ran out of meds in Indonesia. I think the UN could have used them after the earthquake in Haiti. They figured out how to solve a slew of difficult international delivery problems like pros.Team player: Dr. Forster is also willing to work with other health care providers to develop realistic and sometimes creative steps toward wellness. For instance, I have created a long-term health care team for my brother. Dr. Forster works well with a UCSF neuropsychologist who provides secondary support.Creativity: I know he is incorporating a companion dog into the treatment of another patient. Flexibility: He is also willing to see patients via Skype so they don't need to travel to San Francisco each time they need an appointment.Personal Fact-Finding: I once did my own review of how Dr. Forster was treating my brother pharmaceutically, and found that he was providing "state of the art" psychiatry. I am aware that he is well connected to what is going on a UCSF and lectures on bi-polar disorder. In the changing field of psychiatric research, it feels good to know we have a person on our team who incorporates new research as it is made available.Well, I guess you can tell that I give Dr. Forster my highest recommendation. I hope our story was helpful to you too.Be Well!

March 25th, 2010
A comprehensive clinic
Dr. Forster and the other clinicians at Gateway Psychiatric Services are thorough, compassionate and professional. I would recommend Dr. Forster to anyone looking to clarify a diagnosis, refine a medication regimen or navigate through rough waters.