Overall Review

February 1st, 2016
Lumbar fusion
Extremely professional, talented and accurate. Very efficient, friendly staff as well.

January 11th, 2016
Not Good
Sorry, but I dont' agree with these reviews. Dr. Mayer did not want to help me at all. I brought a lot of medical records with me, and he just did not want to deal with it all. He suggested absolutely nothing to help me. Two other neurosurgeons have recommended surgery for me. Shame on Dr. Mayer for leaving a patient high and dry.

May 8th, 2015
Spinal Surgery. Thecal sac Spinal Cystectomy & Lower lumbar lamenctomy, & fusion with bone graft & hardware.
Had it not been for the compassion, skill & superior quality of spinal surgery & post-surgical treatment Dr. Peter Mayer & his staff provided me ~ I would have died 5 years ago this September. I am alive, and walking thanks to Dr Mayer. Not only did he restore my ability to walk, alleviate my suffering by treating the root cause of my unrelenting & chronic pain, but he also saved my life- literally. Mine was a complicated surgery that could have resulted in permanent paralysis & life in a wheelchair or even death. Plus I was a high risk and emergency patient due to my medical conditions. Truly, I believe the odds were in my favor & I had a successful result & minimal recovery time SOLEY due to Dr. Peter Mayer's surgical skill, experience and excellent capabilities. Trust & believe, you can have peace of mind when you have Dr. Mayer as your Neurosurgeon. Was it worth it? Would I do it all over again? If Dr. Mayer was my surgeon- then yes & without reservation. I sincerely endorse and recommend him as one of, or quite possible, THE finest Neurosurgeon on the Gulf Coast.

January 12th, 2015
he put my metronic inplant in me backwards and gave me medication that I was allergic too and he's a liar he almost cost me my life

January 22nd, 2014
Ruptured L5 and spinal stenosis
Accurate diagnosis of problem. Surgery was spot on and the pain diminished over time as promised. Still in a healing process but coming back strong.

January 15th, 2013
Dr. Mayer was highly recommended to us for surgery on my husbands neck and lower back. The surgery on the neck was very risky. My husband is 77 yrs. old, Dr. Mayer had to do the surgery from the front of his neck and then enter the back of the spine. The first surgeon we talked to wanted to do the front first and then do a second surgery at a later date, then the lower back later yet. At the same time told us that if he should get in an accident even if it was a minor one, it wouldn't be possible to get him to the hospital in time to save his life. The surgery took a long time. Bud was home in four days, no problem with the surgical site, no infection, recovery was really uncomplicated. Bud had to have a second surgery on his lower back, he had it today, 3 months after the first surgery. He will be home tomorrow, was up and walking this afternoon. Dr. Mayer, thank you!!!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you to ANYONE!!!! We are so grateful!

June 8th, 2012
Excellent doctor. Take time to listenand explain your condition,in language that it is easy to understand.Return phone calls, and visit me at the hospital almost every day.I haven't see a doctor as professional as Dr. Mayer.

February 15th, 2011
great neuro doctor
excellent in every way.

October 26th, 2010
Greatest Surgeon in Sarasota
A brilliant Doctor who saved my life!

May 6th, 2010
A conservative, Caring and Skilled Surgeon
Unlike some surgeons, Dr. Mayer assesed my spine problems and proposed surgery to correct only those abnormalties that were causing my pain and mobility problems. He discouraged surgery that would correct items that would be unlikely to cause me any problems if left alone but would greatly lengthen healing and rehabilitation time if done now. He cared for me and looked out for my interests. What is more he performed with skill and immediately after surgery I had no more pain in my legs. Three weeks later and I'm walking with a straight posture and doing things that I Haven't been able to for some time. Only a little soreness remains in the incision area. This fine surgeon gave me my legs back and celebrated the success with me at our post operation appointment. God bless him and his staff!

May 3rd, 2010
Inspires Confidence
Dr. Mayer recently perfomed major surgery on by back. He was extremely precise in describing the procedure and its possible outcomes/risks. As a 64 year old male who had never undergone major surgery, the prospects seemed daunting. However, Dr. Mayer's calm and (clearly) experienced "bedside manner" made made me feel as positive about the procedure as one could be, under the circumstances. I am glad to say that not only was the outcome better than I expected, Dr. Mayer has continued to carefully and regularly monitor my progress. Prior to the surgery (approximately 3 months ago) I was having difficulty standing, sitting or walking, and was in pain constantly. I am now virtually pain-free and have even begun to play tennis and golf ( taking it easy at first). Thank you, Dr. Mayer and staff.