Dr. Peter Palena MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

May 15th, 2013
Dr. Peter Palena MD - Best Opthamologist in Delaware County
A New Doctor 1975 I first visited Dr. Palena by a friend's recommendation when I was 15 years old. It was 1975 and I was about to get my first pair of HARD CONTACT LENSES . OUCH!!!! Talking about the PAIN of being beautiful! I remember meeting Dr. Palena in the exact same office he is in now, Riddle Eye Associates. Third Floor. Outpatient Riddle. After getting the eye test done and checking for disease, he popped the big question. "Why do YOU want to wear contact lenses?" and I told him...."So you can see my eye makeup!" From his garrulous snarl, , I realized he was advising against that. I guess he didn't want me to get mascara or foreign bacteria on my lenses which could infect my eyes. . Here were his exact instructions. "You will have to wear these hard contact lenses for at least two hours a day and gradually build up your endurance." Sure, I would do it. Does anyone remember what it was like to wear those first hard contact lenses? You had to be desperate.Because it is like getting use to having sand paper in my eyes. The truth be told, Dr. Palena is a very powerful hard working person. . He excels at what he does. He is straightforward, no nonsense, intelligent and efficient. If your quick witted, you'll get his dry sense of humor. For us dull witted people, oh well, it takes time. There was a time when I did not see Doctor Palena for 5 years due to leaving town. Most optical centers don't deal with disease or dilate your pupils. An optometrist can only give an eye test and optical measurements for prescriptions to sell glasses. My eyes were so screwed up and I couldn't see straight.I couldn't read the fine print, or the blackboard, and reading was a drag. Hey, I have been wearing glasses for myopia and astigmatism since I was a nerdy 7 year old in 1966. So after 48 years, I feel like I know a good ophthalmologist if I can "see" him. I knew I needed to go back to Dr. Palena. Thank God he was still there at Riddle Eye Associates in Media. Let me tell you, it was a miracle after he put the drops in my eyes, turned off the lights and did the "read the chart for me routine.. read the last line ..better one ...better two?" He then fitted me for my first pair of SOFT CONTACT LENSES. When I went with the nurse to try a free pair, it was like magic!, I realized how truly blind I had been without him. Amazing grace....I can SEE AGAIN! " Yes, Dr. Palena is a hard working miracle man and knows his stuff.If you read his stats, he is a professor at Jefferson, has connections all over, He ministers to the poor at Fair Acres. He was a consultant for Laser Eye Surgery, and warned me that not too many people could operate on my eyes. "Operating on your eyes will be very hazardous, very complicated.There are only three doctors I will recommend to do laser surgery on your eyes". , "Oh doctor, tell me what is it inside my head, the light refraction, the weak muscles, the physics of it all that makes this operation so complicated for me?" "Air" he said. "Its the air between your ears!: huh? "I'm just kidding, you know I'm kidding, right?" he says. Hahahahah! , After all these years, I finally get it. He had to tell me it was a joke. Duh. And So my fellow four eyes, when he says, "Better one? Better two? I can actually relax and reply "AGAIN!" assertively instead of guessing out of fear. "Better one, (pause) better two? "One" I tell him. Yes Dr. Palena, you are truly number one. Here's looking at you kid.

June 6th, 2016