Dr. Peter Ruane MD Patient Reviews

• 7 reviews

August 20th, 2013
Dr Ruane couldn't care less!
WORST DR EVER!!! Dr Ruane is a specialist who I was assigned to through my HMO. Luckily I hadn't been sick in his area of expertise and so I only had to see him twice over the last year. Otherwise any medical issues were handled by my primary care or my cancer drs. Unfortunately I had an issue where I needed some assistance with medications regarding my illness cared for by him. I wasn't sick, just needed assistance with meds that would cost over $4,000. a month. I of course did the footwork with my pharmacy and found applications for assistance through the drug companies directly. HOWEVER, I needed my specialist to fill out papers. I took them to his office where I was per usual greeted rudely and told to wait while they asked Ruane if he would fill them out. After about an hour I was told to fill them out myself and he would just sign them. Okay I understand completely and in fact had already done so to save him or his staff the inconvenience. I later received a call from the pharmacy saying that one of the drug companies reached out to Dr Ruane because they had two last questions before they could approve my life saving drugs. Emphasis on the "life saving". I called Ruane's office and asked if they could have Dr Ruane call the company to finish the process. I was told he would do so. Great! All is well right? Nope! Two weeks later I get a call from Dr Ruane's office and the receptionist informs me that Dr Ruane would NOT be calling the company because I only saw him once over the last 8 months. I couldn't believe it. Basically because I was healthy recently he wouldn't help. I not only was shocked and angry, but honestly I felt really sad over the entire situation. Previously I had PPO for over 3 years and my doctor was Aaron Perlmutter who made me and each of his patients feel loved and truly cared for. This experience with Dr Peter Ruane made me feel insignificant. His actions proved that I along with all his other patients are just dollars and office visits for him. At the end of the day I'm keeping my HMO for cost purposes but I refuse to use Ruane as my specialist. I hope this review saves future patients from becoming victims of this terrible practitioner. I wish there was the option of no stars. Even one is more than he deserves.

January 30th, 2012
He saved my life
Dr. Ruane will always be remembered by me as the person who accurately saved my life. His skill at manipulating the various HIV medications is amazing and he correctly found the combination (that I am still on today after almost 20 years).

February 2nd, 2011
Good at diagnosing the problem but cold bedside manner
I've been with Dr. Ruane for 20 years, and he has saved my life. He is excellent in prescribing the right combination of drugs to handle HIV. But Dr. Ruane is not known for having a warm bedside manner. He's not grumpy, he's just aloof. If you're looking for a warm pat on the back, forget it. Let him examine you, look at your chart, give his opinions, and then leave. Don't stick around for friendly chit-chat.

August 4th, 2010
No better doctor than Peter
I have had the pleasure of being Peter's patient since 1990. His knowledge of HIV/AIDS and his drug regime have saved my life. I owe this great man a great deal. He is honest, loving and loyal to his patients. His bedside manners are unparalled. His devotion to his patients is uncommon. I trust him.

December 31st, 2009
casually professional
Overall my experiences with Dr. Ruane have been very good. I was referred to Dr. Ruane when my former doctor decided to move to another city & state location and dissolve his Los Angeles practice. I have had some very serious health conditions which have been excellently diagnosed and treated by Dr. Ruane ~ particularly the two times I had experienced very bad flu symptoms. My regular check-ups are only fair. He doesn't discuss as many of the health issues I should consider as a late forties man, unless I insist on it. I cannot say his bedside manner is commendable because I have at times felt more "tolerated" than valued or simply appreciated for being a self-designated HMO preferred patient. He could do better in regards to such matters. He is smart and proficient in his Internal Medicine practice with his patients; he is a well-noted leader in research methodolgies. His office is clean and neat with a friendly and supportive staff. Making or changing scheduled appointments is very easy and flexible. His office location is convenient for both traffic and parking. He is expensive, and many of the doctor's recommended services need to be out-sourced which often accrues additional charges. However, I have enjoyed on-going good health as a result of his treatment. Therefore, I recommend him to those seeking the quality of care I have summarized.

February 15th, 2009
Peter Ruane saved my life. He is an exceptional doctor who would spend as much time with me as as I needed.

February 5th, 2009
Keep looking...
arrogant, rude, "better than", actually "shrunk back" to avoid touching me, not a nice person...keep looking