Excellent Doctor show details Excellent Doctor
by Donna T. on May 31st, 2016

I turned 50 years old and was told I needed a total knee replacement. The decisions did not come easy. I was scared to death of the surgery. I had 3 opinions and by far Dr. Sharkey and his staff were the best. Dr. Sharkey and his staff made me feel so at ease during the whole process. Yes, the first week after surgery was very difficult to say the least but I am 6 months post op and have never felt better. This time last year I could barely walk. If you listen to your doctor and take care of yourself you will get through it! The surgery will be a distant memory. I thought Dr. Sharkey had a wonderful bedside manner, very smart and a all around gentlemen. I highly recommend him! Also I had a great experience at the Royersford Surgical Center, wonderful nurses!

Excellent Doctor patients are his first concern show details Excellent Doctor patients are his first concern
May 17th, 2016

Dr. Sharkey is very attentive and thorough. I have seen him on and off over the last few years and have found him to be very genuine and caring. He also tells you what you need to here and is very thorough assuring there isn't another underlying issue.

Top notch doctor show details Top notch doctor
by Jim Finan - Scranton, PA on Apr 12th, 2016

I'm 5 years post left hip replacement. I don't even know what hip he replaced! I walk, run (on grass), play racquetball (not aggressively) and can walk 18 holes without issue. I did come in as an 'in shape' patient so it was easier. But, the op was a complete success.

Best experience ever show details Best experience ever
by Zubatch in Newtown Square pa on Mar 6th, 2016

I guess I wasn't looking for someone to hold my hand. I don't believe stellar surgeons have the bandwidth. I was looking for a pain free life, where I am able to do all the sports I liked and missed. I was looking for the best of the best and I definitely found it at Roman. From Dr. Sharkey to nurses, their facilities and processes, my hip replacement was down to a precise science. I like that. I felt confident that things would go well and I was in the best care possible. I am one week into my recovery, and as expected, things are moving along nicely. I do not experience any difficulties getting ahold of staff at Roman either. Perhaps through these reviews, that has been corrected. I did meet with the office manager at Media PA. He was, hands down, the best I have ever seen and always looking for ways to improve the office. He honestly should give a seminar as I haven't had since a positive experience elsewhere at dr offices for my children, quite frankly. They know what they are doing. For those whom did not have a positive experience, I am very sorry and hopeful that you were able to get the help you need.

horrible job on mom knee replacement show details horrible job on mom knee replacement
by A concerned daughter on Dec 2nd, 2015

My mom had a knee replacement done by Dr Sharkey and had been going through excruciating pain ever since. He told her the knee was one kind and now he is saying its another. They are also talking about having to go back in her knee. Do y'all know of a better surgeon for a second opinion

Doctor's Response

Dear Concerned Daughter, I sincerely apologize for your mother's experience. I'd love the opportunity to speak with you to gain further detail and guide her with next steps. Please call me directly at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Lauren DeRitis Rothman Institute

Bad experience for me show details Bad experience for me
Nov 19th, 2015

My knee replacement with Dr. Sharkey has been the worst experience in my life. They send you home within 24 hours, no follow up, and a computer app to use for therapy. My knee recovery was bad from day one and there was no human to follow up with. I'm now 5 months post op with scar tissue prohibiting movement. I was not told that I had a 3 month window of success for a manipulation. He agreed this was a failed operation. Gee, thanks.

Doctor's Response

Dear Vitals Guest, We would love the opportunity to discuss your experience further as this translates into a major opportunity for improvement on our part. If interested in discussing further, please contact us directly at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

Disappointed in Scranton show details Disappointed in Scranton
by Neil Hochreiter on Dec 6th, 2014

AFTER FINALLY DECIDING TO HAVE A HIP REPLACEMENT I CHOOSE DR. PETER SHARKEY AFTER I SAW WHAT THE EXCELLANT JOB HE HAD DONE ON A YOUNG GIRL I HAD KNOWN WHO CHEMOTHERAPY HAD DESTROYED BOTH HER HIPS. MY HIP WAS REPLACED 2 YEARS AGO TO THE DAY AND STILL HAVING PAIN WHICH LIMITS MY ACTIVITIES. MY HIP DISLOCATED 3 LATER IN A RESTRAUANT, WHICH BY FAR WAS THE GREATEST PAIN I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. SINCE THIS DATE I HAVE PAIN IN THE OUTSIDE OF THE FOOT ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE HIP WHICH WAS REPLACED. WITH ALL THIS SAID I AM NOW GOING NEXT WEEK TO HAVE THE HIP REPLACED ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY BODY. I AM A 57 YEAR OLD MALE WHO WENT FROM GOING TO THE GYM 6 DAYS A WEEK TO SITTING OR LAYING 22 HOURS A DAY. IN CHOOSING DR. SHARKEY I THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT LIFE AHEAD, ONLY TO FIND OUT MY HIP WAS PROBABLY DONE BY AN INTERN AND I AM GOING THROUGH THIS ALL OVER AGAIN. NEEDLESS TO SAY IA AM SAVING THE 2 HOUR DRIVING, STAYING LOCAL FOR THIS HIP REPLACEMENT AND HOPING THIS ONE WORKS OUT A LITTLE BETTER.

Compassionate Surgeon show details Compassionate Surgeon
by Jean Z. on Aug 23rd, 2014

I waited for years to have my right knee replaced because I was really very afraid of this surgery. I had four spinal surgeries, but TKR (total knee replacement), I found frightening. My pain management doc explained that my knee was starting to curve to the outside and I was limited in time for a good outcome with this surgery. I made an appointment with Dr. Sharkey and he put my mind at ease immediately with his caring bedside manner. I had no problems after surgery and have to say that all the worrying was for nothing. The surgery was not very painful and the recuperation was a breeze. I have no regrets and am so thankful to Dr. Sharkey! He is a great surgeon! For those that expect their surgeons to spend long periods of time with them after surgery...there are very few surgeons that have that kind of time, but I had my surgery done at their new surgery center in Royersford, PA and I saw the docs everyday while there. The personalized care I received while there was amazing!

Hip Replacement at Riddle center. show details Hip Replacement at Riddle center.
by Alta Hoffman on Feb 24th, 2014

I am sure Dr Sharkey has gained a great reputation over the years, which is why I chose him. However in all my appointments he only met me on my 1st evaluation and that was after a 3 hour wait and the 6th month follow up after my surgery. In the hospital he visited my room once with 5 interns with him and the visit was less than 5 minutes. The outside of my thigh remains numb to the touch from my knee almost to my hip even after four years from surgery. With Rothman you are a number. It is the nurses who are excellent and caring.

ms show details ms
by Angelique Wallace on Nov 1st, 2013

Look no further! I am a 58 yo who has worn my hips out from over 50 years of Dancing. This was the most comfortable surgery I have ever experienced. I have total Respect and Confidence in Dr Sharkey and his surgical team. Cutting edge technology. I can't say enough except that I am pretty sure that He walks on Water too! Thank You So Much Dr Sharkey :)

Excellent show details Excellent
Aug 19th, 2012

i was in such pain that Dr. Sharkey made a special effort to work me into his busy schedule. I had my left knee replaced two weeks later. One month after the left knee was replaced I had Dr Sharkey replace my right knee. I had problems with my hospital bill because of lack of communication between the insurance company and the hospital. After telling Dr. Sharkey the problem, he called and the problem was solved. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs knee replacements. He is always on the list for Top Docs of Philly. I now know why!

10 years now on same set of hips show details 10 years now on same set of hips
Feb 27th, 2012

Dr Peter Sharkey replaced both of my hips in 2001 and I still regard him as a caring high quality professional. This guy gave me my life back. There aren't many day that I don't think of him. He's my personal hero. I still to this day have no problems with my hips and I do everything a lively 55 year old should be able to do.

joint replacement surgery show details joint replacement surgery
Nov 9th, 2011

Dr. Sharkey has replaced my left hip and knee. Now he is replacing my right hip. Dr. Sharkey is the best. Absolutley no complications with or after the surgeries. My surgery is scheduled for the end of November, and believe it or not, I am looking forward to seeing Dr. Sharkey on that day. I am in terrible pain 24 hours a day and will be glad when my hip is replaced.

He gave me my life back show details He gave me my life back
Jul 3rd, 2011

Three months after bi-lateral knee replacement surgery I am back to normal function. Having no complications surely helped, but Dr Sharkey is the man and I am forever grateful.

knee replacement outcome show details knee replacement outcome
Feb 18th, 2011

I AM 3 WKS POST OP RIGHT KNEE REPLACEMENT.lEFT KNEE REPLACED BY DIFFERENT Dr. 4 yrs ago. Prior to this surgery I expressed concern about leg length of left leg being longer by 3/8 and would he be able to level my legs when doing the right knee. He was somewhat evasive to the answer. Well now my right leg is 1/2 inch longer than my left leg which will have negative longterm impact on my hips and back. So what is my option now?? I don't feel he took the necessary steps to measure/xray my knees prior to the surgery and I now regret having my knee replaced by him.