Overall Review

December 28th, 2015
Woderful
Dr. Kim did my husbands heart surgery and he was amazing. I highly recommend him!

September 3rd, 2015
Dr. Kim did a heart valve replacement on me. I was extremely satisfied with Dr. Kim. He took his time explaining everything. I also liked that he took time and prayed with me and my family before surgery.

August 16th, 2015
Excellent surgeon and very caring and comforting individual.

August 28th, 2013
Outstanding Cardiac Surgeon
This surgeon is, by far, the most caring, kind, informative, Christian, doctor I have ever encountered. In his last month of his fellowship at Medical University of South Carolina, he was my husband's cardiac surgeon at the VA Hospital affiliated with MUSC in Charleston. My husband had many complications following a massive heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery while we were traveling. We were 500 miles from home when this occurred and Dr. Kim was placed into our life by God. He came to the Family Waiting Room every single night at the end of his day to check on me, tell me how my husband's day was, what the test results showed for the day and what plan of action he had for tomorrow. He always had time for my questions, after his 16-18 hour days. He shared family stories with me about his parents in the mission field in Korea, he prayed with me, and kept me encouraged. After a long struggle and 59 days of hospitalization, 49 in the SICU, Jim returned home, by ambulance, with two paramedics, from Charleston, SC to Decatur, AL. That was 9 years ago, and today, we are enjoying our family, including our 2 grandchildren, and traveling to places we have always wanted to visit. I credit Dr. Kim with Jim's recovery and would give him 10 stars if I could! Thank you for everything, Dr. Kim!

March 29th, 2013
Excellent, confident, caring surgeon
I recently had an aortic valve replacement and aortic aneurism repair which was found during the surgery. I thoroughly researched Dr. Kim via internet and talked personally with nursing staff and my cardiologist who are familiar with Dr. Kim's experience as a heart surgeon. I found that he is extremely highly regarded both as a surgeon and as a person among his peers. My personal experience exceeded my expectations. He explained the procedure in a "matter of fact" way that exudes his knowledge and confidence in his surgical skills such that you come away feeling that you are in good hands and feel comfortable and at ease prior to the surgery. After surgery Dr. Kim made daily visits while making my comfort the highest priority. He is not arrogant by any means, he just knows what he is doing with a high degree of confidence. Dr. Kim actually listens to you and answers your questions directly in a manner that you can understand. He talks to you as your friend, not as just another patient. Dr. Kim personally called my house twice after returning home and his office also sent a card. Without a doubt, I would highly recommend Dr. Kim for any heart surgery and I have no regrets. We are lucky to have such a skilled and caring heart surgeon in Citrus County. No need to go to Ocala or Tampa or any other surgical facility in the state when you have one of the finest surgeons right here. I'd give Dr. Kim 5-stars if I could.

March 25th, 2013
He's a skilled surgeon, but a patient to him is a surgical procedure, not a human being.
As one of the positive reviewers here said, Dr. Kim sends you for testing, but during all of the testing, none of the procedures were explained adequately to me, and when I asked questions prior to one of them (the heart catheterization) and almost balked on going through with it because of the cavalier way the doctor spoke of potentially placing a stent, the doctor (not Dr. Kim) became sarcastic, but then he also pointed-out to me, if I did not have a heart stent placed and needed one, Dr. Kim would not perform my surgery. In other words, they get you coming and going! lol Yes, that was a very uplifting experience, getting ready for Dr. Kim's surgery... The Lord took care of me, that day, because as it turned out, I didn't need a stent and lived through the surgery to voice my displeasure with the awful experience. When I attempted to voice my concerns about the upsetting way the preoperative testing is done in his group, Dr. Kim laughed, saying I misunderstood what the doctor told me, that had my husband come with me to the appointment, he (Dr. Kim) would have likely learned the truth about my exchange with the intervention cardiologist. My husband actually heard the exchange in the manner that I did. Dr. Kim said for me to go home and discuss having the surgery with my husband and to call him back with my decision. My husband and I decided to finish-up with Dr. Kim because so much time had already elapsed. My husband said to me, "You're not going to receive any humanity from him. You're a neck for him to cut on, so let him cut your neck." Oh, and he (Dr. Kim) sent me home without a prescription for pain control. I have trouble sleeping due to difficulty getting comfortable, so didn't sleep for three nights (the night prior to my surgery, the night in the ICU and the first night home). I called Dr. Kim and asked for pain medication to take at night, and he told me to take extra-strength Tylenol. He said - this is rich - "If you need something for pain when you see my in the office (one week later), we'll talk about it then." Hello, I had surgery THIS week, Dr. Kim, not NEXT week! lol If I need pain control NEXT week, THEN, maybe, you could decide that I'm a kook, and be correct about it. That should give you an idea of the complexities of (not actually) communicating with Dr. Kim. I heard about Dr. Kim praying with you prior to surgery, and he did, but after dealing with Dr. Kim, my impression would be more demonic cult-seeming than loving or caring. This turned into quite an upsetting ordeal, although he successfully performed surgery on my neck. And this is not exactly everything. there's more, but just more and more ridiculous, nitpicky confrontations along the way, but they all added up to a completely upsetting experience. Oh, and all the testing he sends you for is so expensive, I met my maximum out-of pocket deductible for the year, prior to having the surgery, and the testing started during the previous year's deductible! What a negative experience this has been... If Dr. Kim shows me some humanity during my post-op appointment, I'll upgrade my rating here.

November 10th, 2012
Life Changing
My husband is 63 with no history of heart problems. He is not over weight, does not smoke and we have been extremely active all our 38 years of married life. But we found ourselves in the care of Dr. Kim. God bless him. He is outstanding in all assepects from his thoroughness in pre-surgery testing making sure David was a canadate for heart surgery to his follow up phone calls once he came home. Yes, he personally just calls to checck on his patients. We also received a hand written card from him. His ranking in the nation is in the upper percental. Doctor Kim gives thanks to God for his abilities rather than thinking he is God.